Home Sports Talk
Options

Sport Players From Your Home Town

Thought it might be interested to list any sport player from your home town.

Here in Wichita, Kansas......Barry Sanders
Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    David Robinson
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meteor- Gale Sayers was also from Wichita, most be something in the water.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my high school: Terry Forster, Lon Hinkle (pro golfer) and Jim Tatum (played for the Brewers, Rockies and Padres).

Also from my home town: David Wells, Don Larsen, Mark Prior, Bob Boone, Ray Boone, Gavvy Cravath, Reggie Bush, Brian Sipe, Damon & Marcus Allen, and Bill Walton.

Oh, and a fella by the name of Ted Williams image

Steve
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    steve and nick swisher
  • Options
    Cy Young winner Brandon Webb.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    a few..

(football)
    "Bullet" Bob Hayes
    Leroy Butler
    Edgar Bennett
    Harold Carmichael
    Boobie Clark
    Shawn Jefferson
    Kelvin Martin
    Jabar Gaffney
    Don Gaffney
    Derrick Gaffney
    david treadwell

(baseball)
    chipper jones
    jon papelbon
    storm davis
    glenn davis
    vince coleman
    desi relaford
    rick wilkins
    paul rigdon

(basketball)
    dee brown
    artis gilmore
    otis smith

(boxing)
    ray mercer

(golf)
    david duval
    mark mccumber

(auto racing)
    LeeRoy Yarbrough

·p_A·
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paducah, KY area (western KY and around the lake area)

Baseball - Steve Finley
    Basketball - HOF'er Joe Fulks
    Football - George Wilson (Buffalo Bills)

I'm sure there's more.

Shane

• Options

Carl Lewis - went to school with him and his sister and his mother was my P.E. teacher.

Shawn Phillips of the Chargers - just learned this last week.

Greg Lusinski lived in town while he played for the Phillies.

Gorilla Monsoon (Bob Marella) - went to school with his cheerleader daughter. He bought her a brand new Trans Am for high school graduation in 1978.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>a few..

(football)
    "Bullet" Bob Hayes
    Leroy Butler
    Edgar Bennett
    Harold Carmichael
    Boobie Clark
    Shawn Jefferson
    Kelvin Martin
    Jabar Gaffney
    Don Gaffney
    Derrick Gaffney
    david treadwell

(baseball)
    chipper jones
    jon papelbon
    storm davis
    glenn davis
    vince coleman
    desi relaford
    rick wilkins
    paul rigdon

(basketball)
    dee brown
    artis gilmore
    otis smith

(boxing)
    ray mercer

(golf)
    david duval
    mark mccumber

(auto racing)
    LeeRoy Yarbrough >>

heh, heh...you said Boobie...heh, heh
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

Web Results

* Chet Hoff - BR Bullpen

Chet Hoff is the longest lived ex-major leaguer and was last person alive to have played in the 1910s. At the time of his death, he was 107 years, 4 months

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    pete gilleslpie he played for the NY team in the 1880's
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

<< <i>Meteor- Gale Sayers was also from Wichita, most be something in the water. >>

Yeah, that's right. A few other lesser names athletics as well, but sorry for the missing your name Sayers.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Rich Rollins went to my high school. Parma High, suburb of Cleveland. thats about it...I went to a public school and most of the better athletes ended up at one of the local catholic schools...St Ignatius, St Edwards, etc...
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    Peoria and surrounding suburbs

Shaun Livingston
    Jim Thome
    Joe Girardi
    Jack Brickhouse
    Darryl Ashmore
    Dick Jauron
    Ralph Lawler
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    Lansing, Mich. and suburbs:

Magic Johnson
    John Smoltz

Magic's parents live about a mile from me in a beautiful home that Magic had built for them.

Smoltz is honored at a local Applebee's restaurant with a signed and framed jersey hanging on the wall.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    Mobile, Alabama

It's hard to top this list in baseball:

Hank Aaron
    Satchell Paige
    Billy Williams
    Ozzie Smith
    Willie McCovey
    Amos Otis
    The Bolling brothers
    Tommie Aaron
    Juan Pierre
    Jake Peavy

Football:

JaMarcus Russell #1 draft pick
    Willie Anderson #1 draft pick
    Robert Brazile
    Chris Samuels #2 overall draft pick
    Leon Lett
    Keith McCants
    Sherman Williams
    Scott Hunter
    Ken Stabler
    Vince Dooley

And how can you not like a place where Jimmy Buffet was born.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Coming from a town of only 8,000 only really well known athlete besides me was Scott Skiles. image
  • Options
    Cincinnati

Pete Rose, Barry Larkin, Ken Griffey Jr. to name a few
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don, I was born and raised in Peoria...just moved down to Springfield 3 years ago. I went to grade school and high school with Ashmore...what a great guy! You missed a couple of names though....although not as well known.

Tom Goodwin-- Peoria High --Played in the 70's for the Minnesota Twins.
    Eddie Sutter -- Richwoods -- Thiink he graduated in 87. Punter for the Cleveland Browns.
    Matt Savoie -- Olympic ice skater --- not a fan, but still an accomplishment.
    Kirby Puckett played at least a year of college ball at Bradley
    Hersey Hawkins -- played at Bradley then decent pro career
    Marcus Pollard - Colt/Seahawks TE -- played basketball at Bradley
    Dick Jauron was born in Peoria
    Carla McGhee -- I believe played at Manual and was Olympic basketball player

I'm sure there's more, but can't think of any right now

I won't go into all the players that have played for the Peoria Chiefs. Cubs and Cardinals "A" team for the last 20 years. Many pros including Grace, Maddux, and Pujols to name a few. Prior to that it was the Angels and I can only think of Devon White as being the only one that made a name for himself.
    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don, I was born and raised in Peoria...just moved down to Springfield 3 years ago. I went to grade school and high school with Ashmore...what a great guy! You missed a couple of names though....although not as well known.

Tom Goodwin-- Peoria High --Played in the 70's for the Minnesota Twins.
    Eddie Sutter -- Richwoods -- Thiink he graduated in 87. Punter for the Cleveland Browns.
    Matt Savoie -- Olympic ice skater --- not a fan, but still an accomplishment.
    Kirby Puckett played at least a year of college ball at Bradley
    Hersey Hawkins -- played at Bradley then decent pro career
    Marcus Pollard - Colt/Seahawks TE -- played basketball at Bradley
    Dick Jauron was born in Peoria
    Carla McGhee -- I believe played at Manual and was Olympic basketball player

I'm sure there's more, but can't think of any right now

I won't go into all the players that have played for the Peoria Chiefs. Cubs and Cardinals "A" team for the last 20 years. Many pros including Grace, Maddux, and Pujols to name a few. Prior to that it was the Angels and I can only think of Devon White as being the only one that made a name for himself. >>

Didn't Wally Joyner play for the Chiefs/Suns for a bit? And Jerome Walton? I didn't mention Hawkins, Pollard, and Puckett since they weren't raised in the area. Thanks for some of the additional names that I missed.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Duffy Lewis, Dick Bartell, Andy Carey, Willie Stargell, Chris Speier, Jimmy Rollins (NL MVP), and Dontrelle Willis (NL ROY).
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Larry Siegfried
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    From my small town NE Ohio roots:

Jim French - catcher Washington Senators, late 60s-early 70s

I used to put up hay for his father.
  • Options
    My hometown is kinda small, so I'll include athletes from neighboring cities that are less than 20 minutes away.

My actual hometown:
    Kelly Slater- 8 time ASP world champion surfer.

Damien Hobgood- Consistently a top 10 surfer in the world.

CJ Hobgood- Damien's twin brother and the 2001 ASP world tour champion.

Ryan Ludwick- OF for the Cardinals

Leonard Weaver- Starting FB for the Seahawks

Matt Skrmetta- Journeyman pitcher that spent some time with the Expos in the majors but was an all star in Japan I believe.

Area:
    Prince Fielder- Brewers. His senior year in high school, I was 11 and he coached me at the high school's summer camp. I also was at the game where he hit a 500 ft. homerun. It cleared the 4 lane highway behind the stadium and hit a convenience store I believe. I went to middle school with his younger sister and was able to visit their house once. Batting cage, tennis court, an indoor half basketball court, and a movie theater!

Tim Wakefield- Red Sox. Alumni from the same college as my dad, Florida Tech. I wasn't even alive when he played for FL Tech, but my dad went to quite a few games and he says that Wakefield was one of the nations top FIRST BASEMAN. The stadium is also named after him. Dad also used to work with his dad before he was able to retire about 5+ years ago.

Reggie Nelson- S Jaguars

Xavier Carter- Sprinter/ WR for LSU. He chose to forego his junior and senior years to compete on track 100%. In 2006 he was the first person since Jesse Owens to win 4 gold medals at the NCAA national championships in one year.
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭
    chipper jones=pierson

tra thomas=deland,eagles r.t.

vince carter=daytona bch

rascheen mathis=daytona bch. jags c.b.

safety or d.b. from the chargers,cant remember his name,starter to

imageanyway he's from daytona bch.

wes chandler=n.s.bch.

all 20 minutes from port orange where i live.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭
    baseball)
    chipper jones

pandrews you must be in my area as well???

central fl.?
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    fred biletnikoff raiders
    bob sanders colts
    mark stepnoski norml and cowboys
    bruce baumgartner 4X olympic medalist wrestler

there's been a few others who made the "pros" but these are really the only ones most sports fans have heard of.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grew up in Denver Colorado and played high school basketball in the early 1970's.

A guy I played against in high school turned out to be a pretty good player in the NBA until he was given a lifetime ban for repeated drug use. The #4 selection in the 1978 NBA draft [taken by the Knicks], Michael "Suger Ray" Richardson. Sugar Ray quickly became an All Star and would have been a Hall Of Fame player if drugs had not cut his NBA career short. After he got banned from the NBA he played overseas in Europe until he retired at age 44 in 2000. From what I understand, he got his life back on track in Europe, got married, had kids, and came back to the States. Do not know what he is doing now, though I think he wanted to do something for the Nuggets in some capacity.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    John Elway, Jeff Suppan and Nomar Garciaparra - I might have missed one.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15