Home Stamps Forum
Options

Cape of Good Hope Stamps

Hello folks,

I recently came into possession of a number of stamps from the Cape of Good Hope.

I normally rely on my stamp collecting software to give me a ballpark on a stamp's value (StampManage by Liberty Software), but they don't have any information on the Cape of Good Hope.

Does anyone know of a good online resource where I could find the value of these stamps?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    shudson - If you post scans, I will try to assist you. Scott's Classic catalog 1840-1940 has them listed and should be available at a library if you are in a decent size town. Most of the "triangle" stamps are worth a fraction of the catalog values if they have faults.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    Hi Richard,

Thanks for offering to help!

These stamps are full of faults unfortunately... and all have been trimmed I think, but I did take pictures...

Two of these One Penny stamps are a darker red: Cape of Good Hope - One Penny Stamps

One of these Six Pence stamps is blue while the others are purple: Cape of Good Hope - 6 Pence and 1 Shilling Stamps

And here are the Four Pence: Cape of Good Hope - Four Pence Stamps

I'm far from an expert, but I think it's safe to say that these are all gumless. The last owner had them affixed to a piece of paper by some folding hinges which I promptly removed and they came off quite easily. I suspect they were put on sometime in the late 40s or 50s.

-----

Here also is another set of stamps I'm having a hard time dating or putting a value on... so if you're feeling bored... image

Imperial British East Africa Company stamps

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Scott
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Quite a few of those appear to be rouletted. According to Scott in the footnotes following listings of #3-6:

"Nos. 3-6 are known rouletted unofficially. Counterfeits exist."

And also:

"Unofficially rouletted copies of 3b, 4, 5a, 6 and 6a require certificates of authenticity."

My guess is that in order to be able to maximize saleability, certs from PF or APS will be required (PSE only does U.S.). I have no clue as to what is the likelihood of these being legit.

I'm not an expert in this area in any way, so I'll leave it to others to gauge their authenticity...
  • Options
    Scott - Those British East Africa catalog under $5.00 each and are valueless.

Forget the previous post (sorry coinpictures). All are genuine and appear to be De La Rue Printings (wonder where the Perkins, Bacon prints are).

Anyhow Scott catalog numbers and values below:

#12 1d - $175 unused $260 used
    #13 4d - $190 unused $62.50 used
    #14 6d $225 used $525 used
    #15 1sh $475 unused

Before you get too excited by those numbers, the group will bring between 3 and 5% of those catalog values on ebay (and that is what they are worth in such poor quality). I would suggest a single lot of them all.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options

Thanks for the information... it was very helpful. All morning I was worried I was pulling old folding hinges off $100,000 stamps. image

These are going to sit in my collection for awhile, I think.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Forget the previous post (sorry coinpictures). >>

No, you're correct. I inadvertently had opened the images in a smaller browser window which reduced the images, thus creating "jaggies" along the edges of the stamps. The regularity made it look like the stamps were rouletted... looking at them now at full size show no evidence of rouletting.

Note to self: always check that images are viewed at 100%. Sheesh... image