Home Sports Talk
Options

Al Davis wants a new coach - on his terms of course

ESPN's Chris Mortensen is reporting that Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis has asked coach Lane Kiffin to resign.

According to Mortensen, Davis sent Kiffin a letter in which he asked Kiffin to step down. In fact, Davis actually provided Kiffin with a resignation letter that he wanted Kiffin to sign.

Davis and Kiffin have butted heads almost from the beginning of Kiffin's tenure as head coach, particularly over Kiffin's staff of assistants. Kiffin wanted to fire defensive coordinator Rob Ryan after this season and Davis refused.

Kiffin would rather get fired than resign because a firing allows him to guarantee his salary for the remaining two seasons on his contract. Kiffin is currently in Mobile, Alabama with the rest of the Raiders' coaching staff. He is scheduled to coach in the Senior Bowl tomorrow.

According to Mortensen, if Kiffin does leave, Davis would like to replace him with former Vikings and Cardinals head coach Dennis Green.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Im Kiffen I would tell Davis to buy me out. Good luck to Dennis Green if he lands that job, the Raiders are a mess under Davis influence.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    At this point, why would anyone want that job? Nevermind the complete rebuilding that would have to take place on the field, but to have to put up with that kind of nonsense from the boss is ridiculous.
    Travis
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The train wreck that is the Raiders continues rolling down the track. It won't be much longer before their lease for the Stadium they play at in Oakland will be up. I have no doubt that Al Davis (assuming he is still alive and in charge) will want to move his team again. He will look for other cities who would be willing to Welcome the team. I suspect that the politicians in Oakland and Alameda County will try to keep the team in Oakland. I also would not be surprised is yet another round of lawsuits between the Raiders and the City Of Oakland/County Of Alameda will be filed, both if they leave and if they stay.

As a Bronco fan, life is sweet when the Silver & Black stink up the joint.
  • Options
    This is just ridiculous. Hasn't been easy being a Raiders fan these last couple of years. Was disappointing to watch a 4-12 season but at least it looked like there was a slight glimmer of hope for the future with Russell, Kiffin, Nhamdi etc etc Good draft spot this year and plenty of room under the cap. 8-8 or 9-7 could be a possibility next year. Kiffin reminds me of Gruden. Young intense and wants to do things his way. Why in the he double toothpicks won't that senile old man let him? Just disgusting. Oh well.
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they
    wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're
    going to feel all day. "
    ~Frank Sinatra