Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Do you think this is a "circulated" 1910 Matte Proof?

Sounds like he checked it out....What sez you?

WS

Text Ebay Auction
Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Comments

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like one to me [insert standard lawyer disclaimer here]
    Doug
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WS- Could very well be. There seems to be a matte texture showing through the obverse. Mike
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....now, THAT would be a tough set.

well circulated matte proofs! Lowball
  • Options
    i saw this and was curious myself. it does look matte like.not to mention if the die lines do check out. im sure some of them got mixed in. probably wasnt in circulation that long.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I don't have any or collect them like all of you previos posters

but it just looks cleaned to me

why would you pay big bucks for a raw penny that could be worth $2
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    I would pass on it, I have learned too many times that problem coins just never do well in th long haul, unless ultra rare
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that with the scarcity of Mattes, there is little comparsion done on the possiblility of Matte dies used to strike buisness strike coins. Numerous examples of what looks like an obverse or reverse strike from a matte die coin come up now and then, but to my knowledge, nobody has ever done the required homework.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    I think maybe the rims may be a good indicator. The dies may have been the same, but the 300-400 tons of pressure and two strikes of the hydraulic press would be far more powerful, that would express itself on the rims...

The more I look at in god we trust and compare it to the known diagnostics.....Im not seeing them there.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think that with the scarcity of Mattes, there is little comparsion done on the possiblility of Matte dies used to strike buisness strike coins. Numerous examples of what looks like an obverse or reverse strike from a matte die coin come up now and then, but to my knowledge, nobody has ever done the required homework. >>

The Mint has been known to use proof dies for business strikes.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it looks like moviestarson won the ebay auction. If he reads this, I hope he lets us know if it gets slabbed or not.

WS
  • Options
    Just watch the pop reports.....it will be the first circulated MPL there! (probably give the graders a headache)
  • Options
    There are lots of well struck 1910 Lincoln Cents. I would not speculate that this one is a circulated proof. Well I would for $5 but not more than that...
  • Options
    If Jaime said it was a proof there was pretty much no reason to doubt it.