Home Sports Talk

Jim Brown: Tiger Woods is Too Politically Correct

But some people think that just shows that Woods doesn't have the guts to risk the hundreds of millions of dollars he makes in commercial endorsements by getting in the middle of a controversial issue. And one of those people is one of the greatest -- and most outspoken -- athletes in American history.

Jim Brown, widely regarded as the greatest player in NFL history, gave an interview to ESPN First Take today on which he said of Woods, "He waited until it was politically correct to come out and he should have come out right away."

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/01/24/jim-brown-thinks-tiger-woods-is-too-politically-correct/

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tiger Woods doesnt bother anyone. Jim Brown should keep his mouth shut and mind his own bussiness, Tiger Woods is in the middle of an illustrious career-I agree that he should be careful of what he says.
  • Jim Brown's comments did not really surprise me.

Howard Cosell in one of his books talked about conversations he had with Brown where he expressed his frustrations over race
    relations in America and the social pressure society puts on people to toe the line and not make waves.

Cosell said that Brown quit the NFL when he still had at least 5 good playing years left in him because of feeling frustrated over
    doing just what people expected him to do. Brown is a conflicted person over where he fits in society.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of, has Al Sharpton apologized to the Duke lacross team yet?

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Tiger isn't too politically correct, he's just smart enough not to play the race card at any given second like a lot of people.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it politically correct to beat your wife?
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tiger woods is more Asian than any other race (and he points that out on occaision) but somehow this is always overlooked by race baiters like Mr. Brown.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Speaking of, has Al Sharpton apologized to the Duke lacross team yet?

image >>

Very good question!

• Wow!!!!! I'll bet that really made Tiger want to get involved. Tiger has been friends with Kelly for years and wasn't the least upset by her remarks. She chose a bad choice of words but it was taken out of text. Next you'll have Sharpton and Jackson join the show. Those threee guys are "over the hill" and they just prey on things to get them back in the limelight. How stupid was golf magazine for putting the noose on the cover? Tiger Woods is a class act and Jim Brown is a goof.

eddye mack
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is so typical of persons like Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Jim Brown, Al Gore, Newt Gingrich, Bill Clinton, the Idaho Senator caught in a bathroom seeking sex from another man, Jim Bakker, Gart Hart, Sean Penn, the CEO of Worldcom, etc, etc, (in other words people with power and influence) to preach to others about how they should act.

These same persons who preach to others ignore their own statements when it comes to their own personal conduct.

I suspect that Jim Brown does truly believe that it is ok for him to beat his wife, since he is Jim Brown and thus so "special" and important that the rules should not apply to him.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim Brown was a great football player, but now he's an old 'has-been', looking for press. He should butt out.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

• << <i>

<< <i>Speaking of, has Al Sharpton apologized to the Duke lacross team yet?

image >>

Very good question! >>

Sharpton is still working on the apology for all those accused in the Tawana Brawley debacle.

It'll take another 20 or so years for him to get to the Duke deal.

As for Jim Brown, yes he is bitter and has been for many years.

Tiger Woods handled the matter in a way that met his own standards and values. He understood that it was a poor choice of words, not an overtly racial remark.

Besides, we all know that he's partial to those white women. image

A joke of course. No flame needed.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< Besides, we all know that he's partial to those white women. >>>

If a woman has nice T & A, has money, her daddy owns a brewery, and she enjoys cooking, cleaning and doing laundry, then her skin color could be GREEN for all I would care. LOL
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, Tiger Woods is too busy applying some Whoopass to the field at Torrey Pines!! No rust on his game after the 2 month break.
  • well, I'm not going to try to defend Jim Brown...has been?? I doubt it, this guy was probably 10 times the athlete Tiger Woods will ever be....does he (Brown) speak his mind too much?? Maybe, but a lot of other people would have been FIRED if we had said ANYTHING like that in the workplace...really don't think Tiger was being politically correct, he just does Not care IMHO, and folks that too can be a problem.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This guy was probably 10 times the athlete Tiger Woods will ever be....

Your credibility just went to zero.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Yeah Jim Brown is a standup guy, I mean he stood up for Maurice Clarett for years, that worked great.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Tiger Woods doesn't really consider himself "black" or "African American"...so that's why he didn't really take offense to it.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    It's Al Sharpton's fault.

He compared it to throwing a Jew in a gas chamber or wanting to see a woman get raped.

Seriously.

Link

Watch the video here, at a minute into the interview.

How's that apology to Duke coming along, hmm?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • This makes me appreciate Tiger all the more...he doesn't whip out the ole race card
    at every opportunity unlike some racial pimps ie Sharpton, Jackson et al.....

No big deal...classy on Tiger to accept an apology and move on......

If you want to see and hear some real racism, go to a NOI meeting....