Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Is this David Hall's Early Work?

Below is a scan of a 1938 Jefferson proof which has been graded and certified by David Hall's Numismatic Investment Group. It has been graded as a gem proof mint state 65 and it has a cert number which is not in the PCGS database. Of course I would not expect it to be in the database since it's not slabbed by PCGS. Is this a collector's item and should I keep it as is or send it in and get graded and slabbed? The coin looks like at least a 66 proof to me. If I do send it in to be graded should I keep it in the sealed flip or should I cut open the flip and send it in raw? Does anybody know any history or anything else about this flip? This is the best I can do with the scan for now, I’m open to all comments. Thanks!image

Comments

• Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Have you tried the question and answer forum?
    Dan
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is your Nickel Kozman!

imageimage

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't purchased any coins in those filps, but I think they are really cool. I don't know if I would keep it in the flip or have it graded. It would be an item where each coin would have to be judged by its merits.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Personally I would keep that coin as is. If I understand correctly that is from the time when David Hall was a dealer. At some point he guaranteed the grade on the coins he sold. That was so successful he started a grading service.

So I like your coin as a collectable bit of David Hall history. 1938 Jeffs are not particularly valuable in PR 65 or even PR 66 so you might not recoup the cost of grading if you sent it in. I feel your coin would command a PR 65 price as is so certification it not needed. If for some reason it had to be certified I believe you could send it in as is.
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, I would treat that coin as it were already in a PCGS slab. If the flip is still sealed, thats all I would need.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • KozmanKozman Posts: 275 ✭✭
    I have decided to keep this coin as is since I have found out that this coin is inside a kointain within the flip. I don't believe I have to worry about PVC damage now.image. I see it as part of history and probably a very collectible item. Eventually I will have to track down another 38 proof Jeff for the registry. Thanks for the comments and advice.
  • FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    BTW, I'd be a bidder in the holder it currently resides in.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • KozmanKozman Posts: 275 ✭✭
    If I ever put it up for sale on the BS&T Forum or ebay, I will let the folks on the registry forum have first shot at it. image
  • <<I feel your coin would command a PR 65 price as is so certification it not needed. >>

<<BTW, I'd be a bidder in the holder it currently resides in.>>

Hey, me too! image

• yes,its the true 1st generation flip~

I collect them and have 20 mercury dimes just like it.image
    live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • ........i believe it was pre MS66, MS67 , etc when he made these.

wow - how many can remember such a time ( when MS 65 was the highest uncirculated grade ) ?

as I remember as well, many of them when crossed to PCGS graded 66,67 with even a couple of MS-68's !!!!!!!!!!
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭
    Where was this coin purchased at? I think its a great little piece of numismatic history and would love to have something similar.

Ryan
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow this one came back from the past.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• I had a PR65 Franklin in that same packaging. I took it out and sent it in for grading and it came back PR67image
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • anyone actually have any for sale ?

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!