Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

NBA 50 Greatest Framed autographed cards, is anybody gona buy this for 20K?

Hi, I was looking on ebay for some autos and came across this listing Link

The guy has great feedback and is definetly reputable, but is anybody gona buy that for 20K, or anything even close to that? How much do you think he really expects for that piece?

Any thoughts is appreciated! image

Giovanni

Comments

• Maravich, Chamberlain and 48 common autographs.
    No way does it come close to that price
    Probably wants 200.00 to ship it too.....
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I think it's a stupid auction.

If he wanted to sell it he should have listed a description of each card, so that you would know if they were tape autos, cuts, offbrands or TTM autos. He should have taken the time to get decent pics or scans of what he was selling, instead of 4' away cell phone pics.

Also taking the time to shut off the caps lock key might have been a good idea.

As to your question - you're working on that set, you already have a mikan and some of the harder ones to get. Obviously a legit Wilt, Pistol Pete, and Mikan auto are expensive, but the rest aren't wallet emptying. The Maravich isn't a card but a check.

I can't see close to 20K in value. You could get all but the big 3 for a couple/few thousand buying them individually on ebay.

JMHO, actual opinions may vary. If you don't ask for the big money you can't get the big money.

• << <i>Maravich, Chamberlain and 48 common autographs.
    No way does it come close to that price
    Probably wants 200.00 to ship it too..... >>

lol, I can't even see were the Chamberlain auto is, and the Jordan too image

Giovanni
  • Very cool piece though the price is a bit outrageous. I am currently working on the same project. I am up to about 15 out of 50 with 5 out TTM with a good chance of being received back.

My strategy is to obtain all of the easier signatures over the next year or so and then drop some money at the end for Wilt, Pistol, Russell and Jordan.
  • Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭

<< <i> lol, I can't even see were the Chamberlain auto is, and the Jordan too image

Giovanni >>

I had to look it over a couple of times, but the Chamberlain is a 1996 Topps Stars signed card (Max Value maybe $200?) and the Jordan is an 05-06 UD Ultimate Achievements auto ($400-500). Last time I checked, Maravich checks typically sell for around $500. 20K is ridiculous! It does look pretty cool though.
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!

• << <i>

<< <i> lol, I can't even see were the Chamberlain auto is, and the Jordan too image

Giovanni >>

I had to look it over a couple of times, but the Chamberlain is a 1996 Topps Stars signed card (Max Value maybe $200?) and the Jordan is an 05-06 UD Ultimate Achievements auto ($400-500). Last time I checked, Maravich checks typically sell for around $500. 20K is ridiculous! It does look pretty cool though. >>

Thanks Reese, thats a pretty nice Jordan they used, but the again, which Jordan isen't nice, right? lol

If UD would cut that check up and make a card out of it, then it would be worth 5K!!! image

Yeah, I know, I love that litho image

Giovanni

• << <i>Very cool piece though the price is a bit outrageous. I am currently working on the same project. I am up to about 15 out of 50 with 5 out TTM with a good chance of being received back.

My strategy is to obtain all of the easier signatures over the next year or so and then drop some money at the end for Wilt, Pistol, Russell and Jordan. >>

Hey, I am actualy doing it backwards, trying to get the big dollar ones now, and later get all the smaller names. I have several small names, but still need pleanty. I'm collecting both 50 greatest and hof autos too.

I wish you the best with your set, 15 of 50 is a very great start, hope you get to finish it pretty soon! image

Always looking to trade, but I only collect company certified autos, from either UD, Fleer, or Topps. I would take a non-certified auto if the person is impossible to get in certified version.

Again, Good Luck! image

Giovanni

• << <i>

<< <i>Very cool piece though the price is a bit outrageous. I am currently working on the same project. I am up to about 15 out of 50 with 5 out TTM with a good chance of being received back.

My strategy is to obtain all of the easier signatures over the next year or so and then drop some money at the end for Wilt, Pistol, Russell and Jordan. >>

Hey, I am actualy doing it backwards, trying to get the big dollar ones now, and later get all the smaller names. I have several small names, but still need pleanty. I'm collecting both 50 greatest and hof autos too.

I wish you the best with your set, 15 of 50 is a very great start, hope you get to finish it pretty soon! image

Always looking to trade, but I only collect company certified autos, from either UD, Fleer, or Topps. I would take a non-certified auto if the person is impossible to get in certified version.

Again, Good Luck! image

Giovanni >>

I am doing a mix of certified and TTM. My actual preference is to get the players if at all possible on a card from their playing days. I actually purchased a non-certified Barkley with a PSA Authentic quick opinion since he only has a couple certified issues and I would rather spend my money on half of the top 50 then a single certified Barkley for $1000. Similarly I purchsed a Kevin McHale non-certified since he just does not sign these days TTM or for the card companies.

I have TTM of Larry Bird, Hakeem Olajuwon (signed Akeem before he changed his name), Lenny Wilkens, and Dolph Schayes.

I also have a Billy Cunningham UD on the way who is another tough signer with only a few certified issues and he does not do TTM currently.

Should be a fun collection to obtain. Ultimately I am hoping to get the final collection matted and framed in a similar manner as the piece in the auction.

>>

Thanks Reese, thats a pretty nice Jordan they used, but the again, which Jordan isen't nice, right? lol

If UD would cut that check up and make a card out of it, then it would be worth 5K!!! image

Yeah, I know, I love that litho image

Giovanni >>

I do really like that Jordan. It is a nice on-card signature. I assume once more Maravich "cuts" cards are released the price will drop. There were a lot of checks released by his wife a few years ago and his signature isn't nearly as difficult to find as it once was. I am willing to settle for a vintage PSA/DNA topps and save myself a couple thousand dollars.

I am down to only needing 3 more to complete the top 50-Barkley, McHale, and Maravich! I have been focusing on other things, but maybe one of these days I will finally finish the set.

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • << I am doing a mix of certified and TTM. My actual preference is to get the players if at all possible on a card from their playing days. I actually purchased a non-certified Barkley with a PSA Authentic quick opinion since he only has a couple certified issues and I would rather spend my money on half of the top 50 then a single certified Barkley for $1000. Similarly I purchsed a Kevin McHale non-certified since he just does not sign these days TTM or for the card companies.

I have TTM of Larry Bird, Hakeem Olajuwon (signed Akeem before he changed his name), Lenny Wilkens, and Dolph Schayes.

I also have a Billy Cunningham UD on the way who is another tough signer with only a few certified issues and he does not do TTM currently.

Should be a fun collection to obtain. Ultimately I am hoping to get the final collection matted and framed in a similar manner as the piece in the auction. >>

Yeah, I know, it makes no sense to pay $1,000 for a Barkley, because he is still very young, and he should sign 100 more cards before you know it, lol. And guys like McHale, i'm just waiting till he signs, its not gona be forever that he dosen't sign, its all a matter of time. I remember when they used to say about lots of players not ever signing, and now, there signing away.

That sounds like a pretty sweet Akeem!!!!!! Do you have a scan?

Yeah, I know, Cunningham is another tough one, but I sure hope he dosen't sign another 1000 cards like some players, lol. I have his 2003-04 UD Legends Championship Numbers #'d to 80, I love that card!

I would love to do that hole frame thing for the collection, but mine would have to be a pretty expensive frame, seing that my cards would be PSA grade, that would take a big frame, and lots of cash, lol. But I won't be needing that frame anytime soon, maybe another 20 years or so image

Giovanni
  • << I do really like that Jordan. It is a nice on-card signature. I assume once more Maravich "cuts" cards are released the price will drop. There were a lot of checks released by his wife a few years ago and his signature isn't nearly as difficult to find as it once was. I am willing to settle for a vintage PSA/DNA topps and save myself a couple thousand dollars.

I am down to only needing 3 more to complete the top 50-Barkley, McHale, and Maravich! I have been focusing on other things, but maybe one of these days I will finally finish the set. >>

Oh yeah, I heard about his wife giving those checks. Who did she give/sell them too? UD?

WOW Reese, I didn't know you only needed 3 more to complete your set, Congrats man! image

Just wait till McHale signs, I guess wait for Barkley too, if he ever signs, which I think he definetly will. And with the Maravich, I think they should make more, your right, and then they would be waaaay cheaper!

Giovanni

• AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    There was an idiot on these boards that had one and most autos were not authenticated and he listed it on ebay for like $10,000. They were in one of the penzoni 50 card cases. Looked pretty crappy. The actual NBA 50 Auto Litho is amazing and if I had the coin I would buy one. All signatures are on it but Maravich.
  • Always buy the more expensive auto's first, then you are pot committed@!

I agree the pics are crappy, which does not help. Looks like no bids, so this guy is out of luck.

PS-what is the listing fee on $20K?
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!

• << <i>There was an idiot on these boards that had one and most autos were not authenticated and he listed it on ebay for like $10,000. They were in one of the penzoni 50 card cases. Looked pretty crappy. The actual NBA 50 Auto Litho is amazing and if I had the coin I would buy one. All signatures are on it but Maravich. >>

I agree, that is a great piece to have, that lithograph, but why in the world didn't they make them sign it with a sharpie or something, why pencil, or whatever they used? Wouldn't they fade with time?

Giovanni
  • Take it from me I could and have put the Top 50 together at a fraction of that price. The real hard Basketball Autos are the pre NBA Hall Of Famers not the Top 50Goodlieu's Basketball HOF Auto's
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I think it is supposed to go with the litho and look high class and elegant. I am sure it is a special art pen that will not fade.

<< <i>Take it from me I could and have put the Top 50 together at a fraction of that price. The real hard Basketball Autos are the pre NBA Hall Of Famers not the Top 50Goodlieu's Basketball HOF Auto's >>

Whats up Art?

It's been a while. You beat me on the Bernhard Borgmann HOF bookmark the other night. Congrats on getting that!

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333

• << <i>I think it is supposed to go with the litho and look high class and elegant. I am sure it is a special art pen that will not fade. >>

Oh ok, so maybe it won't fade after all. It still definetly looks very good anyway, but I would still prefer a blue sharpie instead image

Giovanni
  • GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    [
    Whats up Art?

It's been a while. You beat me on the Bernhard Borgmann HOF bookmark the other night. Congrats on getting that!

Reese >>

Hi Reese The Seller said he had dupes of that card write him with an offer.

• << <i>Take it from me I could and have put the Top 50 together at a fraction of that price. The real hard Basketball Autos are the pre NBA Hall Of Famers not the Top 50Goodlieu's Basketball HOF Auto's >>

Hey Art,

Hey, I know, theres pleanty of Hall of Famers from pre NBA that is way harder to get then the 50 greatest. You got a great set there, your the reason I wanted to start a set registry, I think a registry is all about sharing the pictures with other collectors! image

I'm always checking your set to see what you've updated, I love seing that updated link next to your name, and mine hasen't seen any action for a while imageimage

Giovanni

<< <i>Hi Reese The Seller said he had dupes of that card write him with an offer. >>

Will do, thanks for the "heads up." Sorry for driving the price up on you, I really thought I could win
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333

• << <i>

<< <i>Hi Reese The Seller said he had dupes of that card write him with an offer. >>

Will do, thanks for the "heads up." Sorry for driving the price up on you, I really thought I could win >>

Looks like you guys got a bidding war going on, lol. Good thing I do collect those Hall of Fame bookmarks! I do have a George Mikan one, but its not autographed image

Giovanni

<< <i>

<< <i>

Will do, thanks for the "heads up." Sorry for driving the price up on you, I really thought I could win >>

Looks like you guys got a bidding war going on, lol. Good thing I do collect those Hall of Fame bookmarks! I do have a George Mikan one, but its not autographed image

Giovanni >>

LOL, I will know better next time to try and win a card that Art wants.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Giovanni >>

LOL, I will know better next time to try and win a card that Art wants. >>

See, thats why its not good making friends! image

Giovanni
  • Reese no need to apologies for the price the EBAY card went for. To be honest the collectors on these boards one way or another are always knocking heads when it comes to cards for their registry sets off of EBAY its just the way it is. But by the same token they by and large help each other and communicate ideas on how to improve each other sets quite frequently on these boards. Honestly when I'm trying to win auctions I don't even know half the time who is bidding against me as I bid only what I can afford and see what happens . I win it fine I don't and no problem . The one good thing abut EBAY is that sooner or later you see the item you need pop up again. Take care and good luck with your sets
    Hey Art,

Any chance you still have that PSA 7 Charles Murphy for $75? Some things came up, and I never got back to you. If you still have it and want to sell it, please send me an email at rcover213@yahoo.com. I am going out of town this weekend, and won't be back online until Tuesday, but I still really want it if it is still for sale.

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • I think when the NBA put out that limited edition litho, they were going for some big money like $40,000 or something crazy.
    I thought I could put together an amazing collection for about half of that collecting 16x20's, basketballs, jerseys, posters
    and prints. I am sure the ebay seller was thinking the same thing. For half the price of the litho you can purchase his set.
    I do not think it will sell for $20k. Yes you can put a great collection together for $20K.

• << <i>I think when the NBA put out that limited edition litho, they were going for some big money like $40,000 or something crazy.
    I thought I could put together an amazing collection for about half of that collecting 16x20's, basketballs, jerseys, posters
    and prints. I am sure the ebay seller was thinking the same thing. For half the price of the litho you can purchase his set.
    I do not think it will sell for $20k. Yes you can put a great collection together for $20K. >>

I think thery were selling for 10K when they first came out, and if I knew what the would sell for today, I would have bought at least 2! image

Giovanni