Home Metal Detecting
Options

Metal Detecting: The world's worst hobby!?

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
Eh, I don't think anyone will mind me posting this here-- for one thing, most of you have probably already seen it, secondly, to be a metal detectorist you *have* to be able to laugh at your hobby, methinks. image

Slate.com writer on metal detecting.
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to laugh. That was a very well-written piece.

I had to look up "solipsistic", though. Imagine my discomfort when I found that the word describes me perfectly.

She obviously did her homework and put in some time at it. While her lament is typical of folks who try the hobby but never catch on, it's done with a few less sour grapes and a lot more humor.

We really ARE a bunch of geeks, y'know.

But I discovered, years ago, to just surrender to my Inner Geek and be who I was meant to be. I'm much happier as a result. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I have never cared for Slate.....Especially M. Kinsley. This just furthers the hatred for the group.....image
  • Options
    funny stuff...i agree with r.w.s. on this one...surrender.....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    "monkey-pox-infected prairie dogs"

I didn't know prairie dogs got monkey pox.
    Matter of fact, I never heard of monkey pox.
    You learn so much new stuff on the internet.

Ray
  • Options
    I think if she had started with an Ace 250 she would have been a lot happier. image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    >;-) She should stay in the kitchen !

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    LAMO!!! but 100 % correct most of the time, There are more detectors in closets than in use!!!!!!
    imageimage
  • Options
    I really have to laugh at this......All the rings and other goodies I have found, have been found with a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at it this way- the more folks like this there are out there, the more goodies are left behind for the rest of us diehard "geeks".

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    The article's funny as all get out! By the way, since we're all geeks (or at least Lord M. and myself), I want to come clean and say:

1. I love Star Trek.
    2. I like math.
    3. I dig watching Carl Sagan.
    4. I'm a statistician.
    5. The history channel is very cool.
    6. I like to mess around with PCs.
    7. I collect coins.
    8. I read tons of hard SCI-FI (No fantasy. Gave that up after Tolkien and Terry Brooks.)
    9. I thought "Deuce Bigelow, Male Gigalo" was pretty dang funny.
    10. And yes, I'm a metal detectorist.

I have to admit, when I first heard, "metal detectorist" I had to laugh out loud. But it fits...
    If it wiggles, it ain't goin' in my salad.
  • Options

<< <i>The article's funny as all get out! By the way, since we're all geeks (or at least Lord M. and myself), I want to come clean and say:

1. I love Star Trek. <---semi geeky...
    2. I like math. <---Mmm, pretty geeky when you throw the word love around like that
    3. I dig watching Carl Sagan. <--- With everything else on to watch? Very geeky
    4. I'm a statistician. <---HARDCORE slammin' 1970s style geek!
    5. The history channel is very cool. <---Mmm, not too geeky. They show police chase videos now
    6. I like to mess around with PCs. <---only semi geeky these days
    7. I collect coins. <---pretty dang geeky...
    8. I read tons of hard SCI-FI (No fantasy. Gave that up after Tolkien and Terry Brooks.) <---Your climbing Mount Geek here
    9. I thought "Deuce Bigelow, Male Gigalo" was pretty dang funny. <--Are you 13?
    10. And yes, I'm a metal detectorist. <---That's it, you're in!

I have to admit, when I first heard, "metal detectorist" I had to laugh out loud. But it fits... >>

I rate thee 92.5% geek. It's the fact you're a stats that really pushed you over.