Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

THE 1909VDB MATTE PROOF LINCOLN PR66RD AUCTION

I note that bidding has opened on the Heritage site for the February Long Beach auction of this rare Lincoln proof cent. Based on the results of the coin that sold at FUN for almost $35k, I believe that the owner of this coin will place a reserve on it that will cause this coin not to sell. That is just my opinion. This market appears red hot, but the combination of the current economic issues in the world and the perception that this coin "may" be worth six figures will cause a pause in the upward spiral for Mattes. JMHO. Steveimage

Comments

• Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps an opportunity for the Savvy Collector™image
  • Options

I like to put in a few low end bids on coins I want to follow. That way I get a "Bid Status" report from Heritage everyday and can follow the coins. I put in a bid of $10,000 on the VDB that was almost immediately topped. It should be interesting to watch.

Jack

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How are they grading that a 66? I was told via a little red pen note "spots are OK on 64"

I see more zits on that coin than my teenage kid. Is "Proof" a factor, I would think the grading would apply same as MS, or am I wrong....
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see this go north of $100K.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭
    Just checked the current bid with juice this evening 1/29 > $69,000 and heading up fast!!
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

It's interesting to me that a 7th bidder has entered. Also, it surprises me that we're seeing these size bids three weeks before the auction and almost two weeks before a reserve gets posted. At this rate the owner may be satisfied with the bidding and let the coin go to the highest bidder. Of course, we are a long way from the magic $100k at this point. It's fun to watch anyway, and no doubt this particular coin is one of the top ten in existence as far as certified grade goes. Steveimage
  • Options
    Well the bidding is on "hold" at $50k ($57,500 with the juice). I guess the incremental increases of $5k ($5,750 with the juice) has resulted in a "let's wait" attitude on the part of the 7 current bidders and any other potentials. On February 7th we will see what the reserve is, if any, and then we will see where this particular coin will go to. Good luck to anyone here who is competing. Steveimage
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "owner" will need some Depends when he sees what this coin is going to sell for.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

The 1909VDB PR66RD has just jumped up to $69,000 with the buyers fee. Now showing an 8th bidder has entered the contest?
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    Boy, have I "guessed" wrong! I just better stay quiet for awhile and see what happens. Steveimage
  • Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
    Bob, maybe if we pooled our money, we could fill our set. Errr, I mean your set, I only have visitation rights to it.

Mike
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's gonna break a hundred.
    Doug
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    13 posts and no links or pics? image

Must be a record. image

Edited to add: LINK

Looks 64 at best to me but definitely RED. Looks like some poor sucker is paying up for registry points.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the coin yesterday, and I think the cataloger is correct, the light spots don't disturb. It is a very original coin and worthy of the grade.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Rick, thanks for the update, brother. BTW, I watched the video, very touching.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    I second that Curly. Rick, That video is really touching. Had me alil misty eyed.
  • Options
    We're back to $65k + the juice. They now list 10 bidders. This is my THIRD wrong prediction on this coin. Steveimage
  • Options
    Thanks for the in hand analysis, Rick. Based on that, the coin should have no problem breaking $100K.

BTW, I also watched the video. Very touching. Five for Fighting is great.

-Paul
  • Options
    OT, but my son, who just turned 11 on Monday has Autism, we think it is due to the MMR vaccine given at 2 years. We have intervened in his diet (gluten free / cassien free - which means no wheat or dairy) and he has gone from a projected lifetime of help to our being comfortable he will find a valued niche in society. He's the joy of our family!

Thanks for watching the video.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I am not disputing the grade, but if the picture of the coin is accurate there is no way at these prices I would want it in my collection. I guess I am too picky or just don't want a coin for the sake of being able to say I own one.
  • Options

<< <i>I saw the coin yesterday, and I think the cataloger is correct, the light spots don't disturb. It is a very original coin and worthy of the grade. >>

Im with Rick on this opinion, I would call this coin a RD and grade an even 66.0 but the 1914 PR66RD in the same auction should be taken off the market, imo
  • Options
    What about the 15 in 6 red?
    Doug
  • Options

<< <i>We're back to $65k + the juice. They now list 10 bidders. This is my THIRD wrong prediction on this coin. Steveimage >>

This is crazy. We're back to $60k + the juice with 9 bidders. So I'm still at TWO wrong predictions on this coin. It will be interesting if Brian and Rick's "in hand" observation that the coin is a "true" PR66RD will drive the price up by the time of the auction. We will see. Steveimage
  • Options

<< <i>What about the 15 in 6 red? >>

Hi Doug,

The 1915 is actually a brighter coin on the obverse than the images show has a lightly toned reverse getting close to RB. The coin imo. would be a PR66RD put on the low end of the 66 range. From the previous image you posted of your PR65RD I think you might be happier with your existing coin.

Leaving the computer, bye for now.
  • Options
    Thanks Brian, I do like mine and wasn't really contemplating buying the coin. I appreciate your response though. I want to see how well it does in the auction.
    Doug
  • Options
    Internet bidding ended at $60k + the juice. The 1909VDB Matte Proof Lincoln cent in PCGS PR66RD goes to live auction in Long Beach, California this morning pacific coast time. Results should be known by mid afternoon on the east coast. Good luck to anyone here who is going after this coin. From what I've heard here, it must be one of the top ten in existence today. Steveimage
  • Options
    Ill be watching with interest. It will be good to see what some of these RED's bring, at that grade they sell so infrequently. In particular, those 16's. They are the sleeper among the mattes I think, everything I read indicates their actual minted and distributed numbers are less than the 1050 listed.
  • Options
    $69K seems cheap. I am suprised!
  • Options
    Was that the hammer price?
  • Options
    Went for $69K with juice.

-Paul
  • Options
    Thats nuts! I wish I had the 69K right now.
  • Options
    That $34K+ for the 64 seems a bit high. $69 for a 66 red. I would have never guess it would have went for that little.

So what is a 67 worth???
  • Options
    I want one of those. I was advised by many that was not a 66RD that I would want. It went for more than I thought it would.
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    Well. my original prediction was half right. I said it would not meet the seller's reserve. I guess the bidding to $60k satisfied the seller, but that was as far as potential buyers wanted to go at this time. Lloyd implies that he was advised that the coin was not that great for a 66RD. Brian and Rick saw the coin in person and said it was a true 66RD. Everyone must make up their own mind, but I would agree that without seeing the coin "in hand" it is hard to make definative comments about the grade. Anyway, I do think the economy played into this and I wouldn't be surprised that if the economy is better next year, we could see this exact same coin up for auction again.

Here are the results of the key Mattes:

1909VDB PR66RD PCGS $69,000 Internet
    1910 PR67RD NGC $9,200 Internet
    1911 PR67RB NGC 5,175 Floor
    1912 PR65RD PCGS 5,175 Floor
    1913 PR67RD NGC 4,887 Internet
    1914 PR66RD PCGS 2,760 Internet (infamous)
    1915 PR66RD PCGS 11,500 Internet
    1915 PR65RD PCGS 5,750 Live Phone
    1916 PR67RB NGC 8,050 Floor
    1916 PR65RD PCGS 9,775 Internet

All the above are with the juice.

Steveimage
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Steve. I bet it was exciting.
  • Options
    I did watch the auctions live on the net. It did seem that they gave that VDB ***PLENTY***of time on the block.....but the floor bids just didnt materialize. Bet that auctioneer was doing his best HSN spiel though. The 15's took off like a scalded rabbit, as did the 16's. Almost hit the bid button on the 12....

Hottest items I seen while watching were a 1919 S and a 1923 S.
  • Options
    I missed it. I hate when I miss it. I beat it was fun to be there. How did the lower grade mattes perform?
  • Options
    Didnt seem to light up the room.
  • Options
    I still think it was 65rb'ish, and went for what it was worth
    Doug
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I agree, somebody got a heck of deal, and most of us we see it in ONE year from now when whatever new Lincoln cent hits the streets.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Did anyone see what transpired on the auction floor for the extended period of time the VDB was on the block? Leads me to believe that those who were there and viewed this coin were much less inspired to bid high than the internet bidders who viewed it on the screen via the wonderous mode of digital photography....

Yup WS in one year this may all change. Especially should the mint decide in its wisdom to create a matte proof commerative Lincoln.
  • Options

<< <i>I want one of those. I was advised by many that was not a 66RD that I would want. It went for more than I thought it would. >>

I thought the coin just made PR66RD but I buy the upper end of the grade so I would be with you on this one Lloyd. I still believe an upper end PR66RD would reach the 100K mark.

• Options
    Brian were those spots as apparant in hand as on the photo?
  • Options

<< <i>Brian were those spots as apparant in hand as on the photo? >>

No, they really didn't jump out at you when viewed in hand. The reverse was really a bright red and the obverse red enough to make PCGS call it a RD. Of all the "PCGS" RD coins in the sale this coin had the most RD except for the 1910 that was in the old rattle holder. It was a blazing RD with two large toning spots on the reverse that held it back for selling for alot more money than it did.

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    while it's probably nice in hand It's still more money than I could ever dream of spending on one coin. My limit is 10K and when that happens I am going to a box of 20 approach. No way I could hold even pocket change in a collection.

I think I would settle for a type coin with better looks for less money in a different date.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Interesting, I was on the phone to a dealer earlier this week who viewed the coin and they said the coin was so so. They in fact advised their client that they wouldn't be happy with it.