Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

British Columbia Trade Dollars

Anyone know if Krause has the BC Trade dollars in it (or in the Canadian Coins book for that matter)? I have looked all through them and can't find any info or pricing. I recently purchased 4 Victoria B.C. Canadian Trade Dollars but can't find any info on them. It appears that there are quite a few of these and needed some value and general info on them. Thanks
Todd

Comments

• Options
    As you discovered, neither Krause nor Charlton list any such thing as "BC Trade Dollars". I have never heard of any Canadian provincial TDs, and suspect they may be some kind of privately minted item, such as a silver round.

Please post pictures of what you have.
    Roy

• Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Apparently these are more like Tokens I would guess... Either way I liked the way they looked so I bought them. They ahve a date on them where you can redeem them for a dollar in Victoria. These are expired and basically are worthless monetarily. Here is the link to the auction.
    Link
    Todd
  • Options

The major catalogs rarely list chamber of commerce tokens.
    Roy

• Options
    Maybe I should rephrase my post, I have found that Krause and Charlton don't have the Trade Dollars in them, does anyone know of a book, website, or person that may have any info on them? (Thanks Satootoko for the help)
    Thanks
    Todd
  • Options
    Well, I've got a two or three of those tokens, too, Todd, but - sorry to report - no books.
    I believe I have a bunch from Alberta as well (Calgary, etc.).
    Haven't had them out in quite some time, but I remember them as being pretty sharp P-L's.
    Will be watching this thread for more clues myself!
    best ~
    Tom

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭✭
    Todd - those are known Municipal Trade Tokens. They are very popular across Canada with some cities having issued them back to the early 1960's. There are some reference catalogues out there with the most notable being authored by Serge Pelletier.

I've got a few 100's of these in my hoard. The earliest is a 50c piece from 1958. Most are common and worth a buck or two but there are a few that command upwards of $200 or more. There are also specimen strikes known for some issues in silver and gold with mintages less than 10 pieces.

The majority are made of nickle, nickle-silver, some brass, a few coppers, wood, rubber, and other colorized metals. Some are plain Jane in appearance and some are knockouts.

I'll try to find a link for the catalogue.

edit 1:
    Eligi Canadian site for leading mint / dealer.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    Yeah I was trying to find somewhere that gave a list of the entire "set" of Trad Tokens, if you will.. Very interesting issues here and remind me of the current "Liberty Dollar" here in America. If you aren't familiar with the Liberty Dollar then visit Here. These people just went to jail under our current regime...er.. I mean government... When I bid on these I had no idea what they were made of or even if they were valuable but I was really into the building designs on the coins. Some of the others I have seen were ok but not like these... 19060NYGiants I'll be waiting for that nice link to that book! Oh wait I could be "unlazy" and google it couldn't I???? Hrmmm I may do that!! Thanks guys!
    Todd
  • Options
    I found this on Wikipedia about the Canadian Numismatic Association. Has Canadian Municipal Trade Tokens Serge Pelletier as a course they offer. I REALLY need to move to Canada.... wife won't let me though. Leave to my wife to CRUSH my dreams!! image I also found a site taht deals with the Trade Tokens. Apparently they have released some books on the tokens. Here is the site.

Ok I found some info on the trade token book. Here is the publisher/distrbutor information:

"Its built-in checklist makes it a must for any Canadian municipal trade token collector.

It is available for US$13.95 from the publisher:

Eligi Consultants Inc.,

Box 11447, Station H, Nepean, ON K2H 7V1

CANADA,

Tel: +1-613-823-3844, Fax: +1-613-825-3092,

Email: info@eligi.ca. S&H is extra. Canadian resident must add the applicable taxes."

Todd
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't been able to find a link to the book. Abebooks has a couple of the 1984 issues and Amazon had zip.

This is from memory - Serge Pelletier is a career Canadian Military Officer. I 1st met him at the Ottawa CNA in 2000. I last saw him at the Toronto CNA in 2005. He had just retired or was about to retire. I believe he is with Eligi consultants full time. When I spoke with him in Totonto he said he was working on revising his catalogues and would be issueing them by Province. I believe Alberta and Quebec have been released. Again, I cannot find a link at this time.

All that said (typed). There is another author, Jack Sauchenko in Edmonton. Jack issued a 2007 catalogue 8.5 x 11 format 215 pages. Cost is about US$40 plus postage. Contact Jack at jpsbes@planet.eon.net Website: MTT book link
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    there are catalogues for these by province, I'll check to see what info i have hidden about
  • Options
    "Pelletier began compiling lists of trade tokens in 1978 and produced his first catalog of municipal trade tokens in 1980.

Pelletier has served as president of the Association des numismates francophones du Canada and first vice president of the Canadian Numismatic Association.

The trade tokens are available from the exclusive distributor, Bonavita, Box 11447, Station H, Nepean, ON K2H 7V1, Canada, telephone: (613) 823-3844, e-mail: bonavita@eligi.ca."

Pelletier has put together some catalogues, Bonavita sells trade tokens as well as the catalogues if you cannot find them anywhere
  • Options
    heres the LINK to the sourse of that quote

also check BONAVITA