Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The 'Official' Total Sets Registered Thread

I just wanted to put something out there to periodically check on how many total sets are registered within the PSA Set Registry. Hopefully this thread doesn't go poof. I think it's a small/medium indicator of 'consumer confidence' within the grading card industry, as it relates to PSA.

Anyway, the first time I looked was 1/20/2008 and the total was 32,004 sets.

Comments

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    31,850 as of 1/22/2008...updates to come as warranted...
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Question, how do we determine if a set was retired or simply expunged from the reg?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Question, how do we determine if a set was retired or simply expunged from the reg?

Steve >>

Steve,
    Good question! Personally, I don't know. At least we will have a 'rough' idea to go with...

Mark
  • Options
    1-23-2008 9:30pm
    31877 sets
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    25,000 sets on 1-8-2007
    Link

Doug
  • Options
    Should be 1 less as of this writing. I just deleted/retired my 65 Mets set.

Sold a few cards off this past week.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I deleted about 70 sets this week.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I just added 2 more sets last night (one was a re-add of a previously expunged set that I hadn't updated in over a year and was below 10% on), and a 3rd is ready to add when the card is removed from the prior owner's set.

Considering that all you are competing for in registry listings is bragging rights and a piece of paper (free grades for completion percentage are independent of card quality, the people worried about their set ranking being harmed because someone's 8.5s are closing the gap on their 9s strikes me as more than a little bit silly.

I'm thrilled with the set registry - it allows me to keep track of what I already have in a form I can view from anywhere I have internet access, and it gives me pop report numbers on most graded cards I'm considering buying - for free!

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Nick- I'm the opposite. I"m not competing on the registry, I use it for inventory basically. But I now use vcp's my collection for inventory- it shows me the latest realized sale, and prints out a very clean report. And I use imageevent for scans of all my cards- it's a lot cleaner to view them. I strongly disagree with the move to half grades, and I'm switching a lot of things in my collection because of it. As such, there is no point in keeping a lot of my cards on the registry.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>1-23-2008 9:30pm
    31877 sets >>

1-24-2008 8:30pm CT
    31888 sets
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to check the growth of the set registry this year. Apparently, there were 7000 sets added in 2007.

For me the advantage of having your set on the registry is the trade and buy opportunities that develop.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For me the advantage of having your set on the registry is the trade and buy opportunities that develop. >>

Agreed, from time to time I check with people who have a card Im looking for that is listed in their set. I have gotten a few really good deals this way...
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    31,895 as of right now.........
  • Options

<< <i>

31877 sets >>

31888 sets >>

1-25-2008 9:00pm CT

Entered a complete set of 1988 Fleer Basketball Stickers today. Not a very strong gpa but I will likely update a few when possible at a give away prices....image

Figured we would see a good drop in sets this week but it does not look like that is happening.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

31877 sets >>

31888 sets

1-25-2008 9:00pm CT
    31904 >>

1-27-2008 1:30am CT
    31985 sets
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Should I be worried that about 3/4 of 1% of the total number of registry sets are mine?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    I think this thread should be updated.......say every 20 minutes.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options

<< <i>I think this thread should be updated.......say every 20 minutes. >>

Don't act like a dick lostdart.
  • Options
    Sigh, jamie was just trying to add a lil levity to the thread. he is a very decent fellow who brings much to these boards.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Sigh, jamie was just trying to add a lil levity to the thread. he is a very decent fellow who brings much to these boards.

Steve >>

Thanks for the note Steve. Usually when someone makes a rude comment and does not include a smiley face or the like it is not considered an attempt at humor. You do lose a lot of feeling in e-mail and messages...so I may have "misread" it.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Agree that Jami is one of the good guys.
    He doesn't need a smiley. He is a smiley. Now Steve on the other hand ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Updates....updates....where's the darn updates??????

Dick
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    Currently 36,629 sets registered.

Up about 4500 since the beginning of the year.
  • Options
    Now it is 37, 336 at 10:43 pm EST on 7.29.08.
    I collect PSA graded 1980-81 Basketball.

Successful transactions with bouwob, lifeshouldbefun, SDSportsFan, Bkritz, tsalems1, kwtoz, johnny1976, Topps29, Calaban7, nascar20, bking, bedellsonics, Beck6, Dialj, Echocanyon, mdkuom, gosteelers, artimus.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>Now it is 37, 336 at 10:43 pm EST on 7.29.08. >>

lol

I am a numbers geek. The reason I was originally noting time was to chart the total sets the first week or so after the .5 change. Using the daily entries with time would have given a more accurate chart. Jamie apparently thought it a waste so I stopped and never did get enough to chart to show anything.
  • Options
    Interesting data.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    it has been more than 20 minutes!

39,733 as of 5:48 est Nov 22, 2008.

Coming up on a year in a couple of months.
    I collect PSA graded 1980-81 Basketball.

Successful transactions with bouwob, lifeshouldbefun, SDSportsFan, Bkritz, tsalems1, kwtoz, johnny1976, Topps29, Calaban7, nascar20, bking, bedellsonics, Beck6, Dialj, Echocanyon, mdkuom, gosteelers, artimus.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    As of 12/07/08---- 40,241 sets
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    On 01/01/2009-- Total # of sets were 41,073
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Does anyone know if that is good or bad?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve - I would suppose that the increase would be considered good.

January 2007 25,000 sets
    January 2008 32,000 sets
    January 2009 41,000 sets

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I wish there were some easy way to disaggregated sets/cards that are double-counted. 30% increase year over year is a nice percentage growth rate, but how much of that is attributable to new player sets and team sets largely population by set collectors whom already have the same cards registered in their full sets? For example, Don Spence has an astounding run of pre- and post-war sets. But he also has a large number of player and team sets in his Registry [as does Jim Crandell]. This tends to inflate the overall number of sets without speaking to the true underlying increase of unique number of cards registered...which is surely above zero, but also significantly below 30%.

M
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Interesting post - on the amount of cards collected/graded - a distant cousin grading system for comic books actually shows a score of books owned for each collector - perhaps a collector score and total cards owned would be interesting - PSA could get that info from the personal collection and not from the set registry ( I have a lot of cards not included in sets ). There is a lot of competition to be the number 1 overall collector - not just registered sets. And yes - the score gets into the millions of points.
    Bogie: I am a new member since 2004.
  • Options
    As of 3/29/2009 at 6pm------- 43,501
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting post - on the amount of cards collected/graded - a distant cousin grading system for comic books actually shows a score of books owned for each collector - perhaps a collector score and total cards owned would be interesting - PSA could get that info from the personal collection and not from the set registry ( I have a lot of cards not included in sets ). There is a lot of competition to be the number 1 overall collector - not just registered sets. And yes - the score gets into the millions of points. >>

I recommend putting all your inventory that you plan to keep into your inventory on PSA. Also include your cost and scan if possible. My insurance guy mentioned to me when we were discussing coverage that it sounded like the best way to have documented proof of your collection plus your cost and timeframe of ownership of the items, which can help in them determining current valuation compared to your cost in a replacement situation. It would help you tremendously if you lost your collection to fire or some other type of insurable damage. It's a great place considering it's on the net and even if you lost all your possesions you would be able to pull up your collection info onlline anywhere and prove what you had. Could really save your @$$ in a tough spot!
    Le Mieux Collection
    #19 All Time 500 Goal Scorers
    #41 All Time 3000 Strikeouts Club
    #25 Cal Ripken Jr. Basic Topps
    #4 Greg Maddux Basic Topps
    #7 Ryne Sandberg Basic Topps
    #1 Fank Thomas Rookies 100%
    #1 Chipper Jones Rookies 100%
  • Options
    I am still trying to figure out why this thread exists. It is kind of like PSA's pop reports, interesting, but not reliable even though I wish they were. Remember what Mark Twain said, "There are three kinds of lies; lies, D@MNed lies, and Statistics" I would be more interested in knowing the "state of the hobby". By knowing how many PSA subscriptions are going, up or down. Number of Set Registry usernames, and PSA submission stats.
  • Options
    I would not take statistics, or these numbers, as meaningless. It clearly shows a large increase in PSA registered sets. The fact that you can double, triple, and even quad plus some cards should have little effect, as this was not something that was newly started, and that most collectors appear not to take advantage of such* and the fact that sets drop off after 1 year if no activity and not at 10%.

Some of you might also remember when I broke down the 1978 Topps vs 1978 Topps Team Sets, which basically showed ~40-50% did not have their sets registered in both places, despite many were able to receive free grades if they did....can't remember the title or where I posted that thread now.

• Options
    MeteoriteGuy,
    Okay, your email just sparked a question for me about qualifying for free submissions. I will try to illustrate with my 1956 topps.

Are all these statements true?
    1. When I reach 308 cards, I will get 5 free gradings
    2. When I reach 90% for each of the other 16 1956 Team Sets, I will get a free grading for each (16 total)
    3. Altogether I would get 21 free cards for my 1956 Topps set by the time I am finished.

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    The answers are here http://www.psacard.com/setregistry/benefits.html

At the bottom it says "You cannot submit the same item twice for free grades."

So if your team sets contain the same cards as your main set you can't submit the same cards twice.

Now if you had no main set registered you could register 16 individual team sets and request a free submission for each one.

The catch would be that you'd have 16 separate invoices that you'll have to pay shipping and handling for.

Once you get the 16 free submissions you could then create a main set.

Based on not being able to submit the same item twice you couldn't then get free subs when you create the main set.

• Options

<< <i>MeteoriteGuy,
    Okay, your email just sparked a question for me about qualifying for free submissions. I will try to illustrate with my 1956 topps.

Are all these statements true?
    1. When I reach 308 cards, I will get 5 free gradings
    2. When I reach 90% for each of the other 16 1956 Team Sets, I will get a free grading for each (16 total)
    3. Altogether I would get 21 free cards for my 1956 Topps set by the time I am finished. >>

KbKards, I believe it means you can only submit the same card once in a free submission certficate/order. Not that you can't ever submit the same card ever for free. Meaning if you have certificates to get 4 1952 Topps cards graded free, you could not submit 4 Mantles.

But if you did submit one with the base set, you could still submit one, via the team set. (And the same still through the all-time sets, and the decade sets, et al).

You are correct Farmkidd. Of course, you would have to have the cards worth submitting to make it worth it. However, I fail to see why how many free grades you could get effect the total sets. And lets face it, when talking vintage, if you are working on a high grade set, you have likely submitted everything worth submitting a while ago.

I think that 1978 Topps would be a prime set where people would register in both main set and team sets, as it is not that hard to find PSA 8+ cards. The set is plentiful graded and you could likely pick one third to half of it up at around $4 each in PSA 9. If people are adding tons of sets to get free grades, it should show in that set more then any...and in fact it does not.

Also, if free grades was the whole point, then why isn't everyone working on late 80s early 90s bonus card sets?

Anyway, my point is that the free grades are a non-factor, especially at the subject in hand. The increase of PSA registered sets from one period to the next.

• Options
    4--16--2009======= 43,999