Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Thinking of starting a Red Man Tobacco Set

Seriously considering starting a red man tobacco set in PSA 6+ condition.

I know they were issued from 1952 to, I believe, 1955. I know they come with and without a tab. I'm interested in cards with the tab.

Anyone have experience collecting these sets? Which year is the more difficult to collect and why? Which year is the most popular and why? Which year is the most expensive at PSA 6 grade? Have prices trended upward in, say, the past year?

Basically, I want to collect just one year and am deciding right now which year to collect.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    No inside collecting information on the Red Man sets but I have always thought that to be one of the coolest sets of all time. Good luck with your collecting desires.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Well whatever you do don't chew the tobacco. It's over 50 years old!

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Good call - Ron is one of the more prolific Red Man collectors. I don't know if Tony is still here, but "aconte" is another top collector.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    thanks for the link!
  • Options
    I wonder if Ron will try and get those 'bumps' on some of those beautiful 8s that look like 9s.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

agree with morrell aconte can give you some insight
  • Options
    RGOLD's site is the best, I agree. I have every '52 AL minus AL1-Stengel and AL8-Feller. The Stengel was a PSA7 and the Feller was a PSA6. I still have the Williams which is a 5. All the others are raw but from the same lot...very similar condition. I also have some '54's and '55's (only graded is '54 Berra at a 5). Respond if interested. All have tabs.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    that's a great site
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sight is awesome! That was the first time I ever saw the '52 Ted Williams, thanks for the link.
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    Will PSA even grade them without the tab? I dont think they will.

-Claude