Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

a few more new(ish) additions

Well, my wife got me a copy stand for Christmas, this past. My camera is still not on par with what some of you other guys use, but when I have time to play with it a little more, and get comfortable with the process, I hope my imaging skills will improve. Having been a while without a scanner, it's been some time since I've been able to post some of my purchases, so here's a few to get started... image

papal states - another coin outside my focus. it probably won't stay in my collection long, but I hope to find it a good home. I love the color.

Insurrection Coinage... what's not to like? it's got a couple blemishes, but they are superficial, and the picture brings it out way more than it appears. I've been thinking of having NCS take a look at it, as is it's housed in 58 plastic - which is tragic. Not a bad pick up for XF money.

Picked up this one from a member of the board recently.... puuurdy.

Comments

• Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    They look great to me ...
    now the real question ...
    When are you going to update your website ....... January 14, 2007 is just too long ago !!!
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice pics Rick. What is the history behind the Insurrection Coinage piece? Its a striking design.
  • Options
    this weekend, I swear!

I know it's been a long time. When I moved, my scanner just didn't make the trip. Without that, I had no way to get images. Now, that I have something worked out. I plan to make some big updates in the coming weeks - starting today, I hope.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice pics Rick. What is the history behind the Insurrection Coinage piece? Its a striking design. >>

I agree - would love to hear the story of the series, as well image
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice pics Rick. What is the history behind the Insurrection Coinage piece? Its a striking design. >>

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pictures and a thoughtful wife!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    The insurrection coinage is really pretty stunning, in all denominations. They were minted in Brussels, under control of the Belgian exiles, after Joseph II abolished the constitutions of Hainault and Brabant. The entire series spans a single year (1790), and I picked up this piece from a former collector turned coin dealer who claimed to have assembled a type set of the entire series, with the exception of the copper issues. The copper coinage, he said, was much more difficult to find in higher grades because the mintage figures were not very high and they were the primary work engines of day to day trade.

This one is the 10 Sols or 10 Stuivers, the smallest of the silver denominations. What I find odd is that the 10 stuiver is also par with the half gulden, however, this coin is obviously smaller in size and weight as the common issues of 10 stuivers minted in the netherlands. It comes in two varieties, with the difference being the obverse legend. This coin is the mroe rare of the two, with a total mintage just over 8,000 pieces total population.

I would guess the reverse is a symbol of the union of provinces that revolted and assembled the United Belgian States, which also occurred in Brussels in that same year as issue. Of course, the Rampant lion obverse - Belgium issued
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The insurrection coinage is really pretty stunning, in all denominations. They were minted in Brussels, under control of the Belgian exiles, after Joseph II abolished the constitutions of Hainault and Brabant. The entire series spans a single year (1790), and I picked up this piece from a former collector turned coin dealer who claimed to have assembled a type set of the entire series, with the exception of the copper issues. The copper coinage, he said, was much more difficult to find in higher grades because the mintage figures were not very high and they were the primary work engines of day to day trade.

This one is the 10 Sols or 10 Stuivers, the smallest of the silver denominations. What I find odd is that the 10 stuiver is also par with the half gulden, however, this coin is obviously smaller in size and weight as the common issues of 10 stuivers minted in the netherlands. It comes in two varieties, with the difference being the obverse legend. This coin is the mroe rare of the two, with a total mintage just over 8,000 pieces total population.

I would guess the reverse is a symbol of the union of provinces that revolted and assembled the United Belgian States, which also occurred in Brussels in that same year as issue. Of course, the Rampant lion obverse - Belgium issued >>

Very cool info, Rick!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Y'know, the darkish toning on that Papal piece actually works. I like it. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Dawg144Dawg144 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Y'know, the darkish toning on that Papal piece actually works. I like it. image >>

I agree. At first, I thought it was corrosion, but the color really gives the piece character. image
  • Options
    maybe getting a little better... this one came out pretty good. This was another pick up at this weekend's show. I picked it up through trade of a smaller gold coin, and added a bit of cash for the difference.

scarface louis