Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I need help identifying people in an old photo

Does anyone want to help me play detective?

I bought this photo a while ago. It was from Walter Johnson's estate so he's easy to spot (2nd from left). I believe it was circa 1918, and the other guy I think i can identify is General "Black Jack" Pershing (6th from left).

I'm not sure who the other people are - does anyone recognize them? Any help would be greatly appreciated

EDITED TO ADD - From left to right here are the people identified and what they were doing in 1919 when I believe the picture was taken.

1. James Harbord, Major-General, US Army
2. Walter Johnson, Pitcher, Washington Senators (HOF)
3. Hank Gowdy, Catcher, Boston Braves
4. Charles Comiskey? Owner of the Chicago White Sox (HOF)
5. Knute Rockne? Head Coach of Notre Dame
6. John "Black Jack" Pershing, General of the Armies of the United States
7. Hughie Jennings, Manager of the Detroit Tigers (HOF)
8. Henri-Philippe Petain, General, French Army
9. Bucky Harris, 2B, Washington Senators (HOF)
10. Jacob Ruppert, Co-owner and president of the New York Yankees

Comments

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Well rube is definitely the 5th one from the right. The second one from the right looks awfully familiar too, but I can't place him.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    second one from the right looks like Prince Charles
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    <<second one from the right looks like Prince Charles >

Bingo!
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    I could be nuts...and probably am..but the fifth guy from the left looks like Knute Rockne to me. Not sure why they would be in the same picture together...but they were contemporaries. Rockne living 1888-1931 and Johnson living 1887-1946...so its possible.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    possible tour to meet the troops in WW1 ?

was USO around back then?
  • Options

<< <i><<second one from the right looks like Prince Charles >

Bingo! >>

I thought the same thing when I first looked at it. Don't know any of the others.
    Tonya
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, I have no Earthly idea but that's a really cool pic.

Thanks for sharing image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fourth one from the right looks like Hughie Jennings.

Also, the one on the far right looks like it could be Jacob Ruppert.

Steve
  • Options
    I think Prince Charkes is Bucky Harris.
  • Options
    Fourth one from the left...could be Charlie Comiskey?

Steve
  • Options
    Wow, thanks a lot guys!

Bucky Harris and Walter Johnson were both on Washington in 1919. And the fourth guy from the right definitely looks like Hughie Jennings.

I'm not sure about Rockne or Comiskey - both of their faces from images I looked up from this era look chubbier than the guy's faces in this photo.

I don't think the USO was around back then. Some players were actually in WWI. Christy Mathewson comes to mind, but I don't think Walter Johnson was in the war. Why Walter was in a picture with the General of the Armies of the United States I have no idea...
  • Options
    The thing I wonder about is why does the guy third from the right look like Joseph Stalin? image

Steve
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Rockne became head coach of Notre Dame in 1918 so its possible that he would be in a WW! era photo with other sports greats.
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    If I had time, I'd dig out my '61 Fleer cards to see if some of the faces match up. They look familiar...
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    "I need help identifying people in an old photo"

I'd say that you are correct. Those ARE people in an old photo. image

I just wonder who that guy in the background on the left is posing for? Private session?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the third guy from the right is Rollie Fingers dad.

Just kidding. Great Photo! To bad there is nothing on the back identifying the people, time or place of the photo.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Any chance the handlebar guy is Henri Petain? He's definitely wearing a French uniform, and I think he's too young to be Foch.
  • Options
    pomobileclkpomobileclk Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    The third from the left, next to Johnson, looks like Hank Gowdy.
  • Options
    The guy second from the left looks like Walter Johnson.... My mistake. I didn't realize he was already identified. Hughie Jennings is definitely in the photo on the right side.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I thought that was also Cominsky
  • Options
    Again a big thanks to everyone for being so helpful!

Pomobileclk spotting Hank Gowdy was a big break-through. I found this about Gowdy,

... but when World War I broke out, he became the first major leaguer to sign up. With the Ohio National Guard, he saw considerable action in France with the 166th Infantry Regiment, including some of the worst trench fighting in the war. When he returned in 1919, he got his old job as a catcher back, but not before going on a speaking tour of the United States, detailing his war experiences.

Thus Gowdy at least ties baseball to WWI in this photo.

Anyways, I added the identified people in the photo under it in my original post.

Also, on the back of the photo, there is a faint stamp. It reads, "This photo is supplied by International Newsreel, 226 William St., New York City..." There are two small pieces of paper glued to the back probably where it was fastened in Walter Johnson's photo album.

<< <i>The thing I wonder about is why does the guy third from the right look like Joseph Stalin? image
    Steve >>

Ironically, he's not much better than Stalin... maybe it's a mustache thing. The guy GDM67 helped identify is Henri-Philippe Petain. Read about what he did in WWII and you'll understand this comment.

Brian

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Brian LTNS!!

Guy in the middle is Pershing?

Steve

nevermind you already knew that, didn't see your list.

Good for you.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    that 1st guy looks awful familiar,cant put my finger on it yet,has alot of ribbons on him,is a high up officer General or Colonel-big mac and patton were in ww1,i need to look at some pics,pershing dont have all of his on his unform ,just because nobdy could tell him tooimage
  • Options

<< <i>that 1st guy looks awful familiar,cant put my finger on it yet,has alot of ribbons on him,is a high up officer General or Colonel-big mac and patton were in ww1,i need to look at some pics,pershing dont have all of his on his unform ,just because nobdy could tell him tooimage >>

That's what I thought too. I don't know a lot of military history, but it's odd that the first guy has more "stuff" on his uniform than the highest ranking guy ever. I've searched through wikipedia (not the best source - I know) for other WWI big shots, but have come up empty.

I was thinking about selling this when I had no clue who most of these people were, but now it's not going anywhere.

• Options
    pershing would have that many too, he just dont have em on because nobody tells the top dog what to do,except the President

kinda reminds me of Macarthur without the pipe and glasses,looking for some ww1 pics of him-i dont know how high up he was in rank in ww1 offhand
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the first guy James Guthrie Harbord. Looks like the picture in the link and it says that he was close to Pershing.

James Harbord
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    thats him, battle of the marneimage i shoulda knew that,
    too many generals in history to think of,
    i sent a pic of it off to one of my buddies, he cant tell me for sure who they 100% (army guys)are in a heartbeat,hes a ww1 buff- i never realized comisky was that small if thats him?
    that is petain and pershing and sure looks like harbord
  • Options
    Wow, that might be everyone, thanks Alfonz24 for ID'ing Harbord!

too many generals in history to think of,did you positively id the french guy?,

I think it's him. Here's a pic I found of him

imageimage

I'm still not sure about Knute. He's the only one that doesn't fit the WWI or baseball profile. But facially it looks like this pic of him

imageimage
  • Options
    Here is a summer 1918 game with soldiers in attendant...not really related

Linky
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    the french guy is right for sure, i dont think that blackjack pershing?does he have a moustache in pic and a big eagle on his collar, i can really tell- if i could see their neck brass onthe sides that aremissing i could tell what outfit they were with and track em down easy
  • Options
    Facially he looks a lot like Pershing, but he doesn't appear to have the mustache in the picture. When I bought this picture, the only two identified were Walter Johnson and Pershing so I always thought it was him although I haven't seen other pics of him without the mustache. Now that the first guy ID'ed is James Harbord and close to Pershing, I figured that gave it more credibility. Here's another pic of him

imageimage
  • Options
    yeah i guess that is him now that i look at the ears and both views of his nose more close, no moustache is strange,blackjacks almost always is picked witha moustache-that is a great piece , were those 2 id'ed on the back of the pic or have any writing on it???, id get that framed and matted like my audie murphey auto ,that is a great crossover piece, baseball + army collectors-great pic up,at least it isnt ripped to pieces , i have alot of the old ww1 co pic ones that were rolled up ,and when you unroll them they just crumble the paper is so oldimage
    congats!!!!!!!
    the rube-not the cloned rube, you have to look hard to tell its not me-people were thinging i was talking to myself last night image
  • Options
    knute is the only one that dont fall in with the baseball theme now, the face is fatter in that pic could be him, but kinda dont fit the theme?

i dont think there is anyone else in the wold that looks like petian image love the handlebar moustache,he might have been rollies inspiration,yu dot see too many of those anymore,i always thought they were cool
  • Options

<< <i> were those 2 id'ed on the back of the pic or have any writing on it??? >>

The only markings on the back were a faded newspaper stamp. It reads, "This photo is supplied by International Newsreel, 226 William St., New York City..." There are two small pieces of lined paper glued to the back probably where it was fastened in Walter Johnson's photo album. I'm guessing it was once printed in a newspaper and then this original photo given to Walter. When I first saw the auction, it was presented as something like, Walter Johnson, General Pershing, and others. The other guys remained a mystery until I was cleaning my house and found and posted it yesterday!

I have a bunch of other wire photos, but none this old. My two favorites are one of Joe D and Marilyn on the Honeymoon in Japan and the other is a Clemente photo of him getting hit 3000 previously owned by Double Day and used in his biography, Who Was Roberto

I'll post a bunch of pics this weekend if anyone is interested.

Brian
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool.

You might be familiar with this website:

http://www.cycleback.com/

Dave is a nice guy and would probably be happy to help you identify some of those folks.

-
  • Options
    Once again, I'd like to thank everyone who's helped ID'ing these people.

I think I'm going to list this on eBay as a fixed price with an OBO.... still deciding on the amount.