Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

I need your help in an ebay fraud please read

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
Gentlemen I have been the victim of an ebay fraud. This a long story I will summarize. A small time sellers account was hacked by an individual who created a fradulant email address, changed the payment instructions and apparantly cut and pasted an auction. I was the winner, the coin was never received, however my personal check was cashed by this individual. I am gathering information and I am going to the local FBI district office tomorrow.

What I ask of you is to see if you have the following coin in your possesion, or have ever owned it. It is not currently listed in the pcgs registry, since I was able to temporarly add this number to my inventoryas a test.

The coin is a 1909 S VDB Pcgs MS64RD and the certification number is 90058452

Thank you very much, any leads are appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    What was the auction/item number?
  • Options
    http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29392-2357-0?uid=10339744&site=0&ver=EOIBSA080805&lk=URL&Item=230193614556

A beautiful coin.......too bad this happened. A large population 850, but someone must know this coin

I had purchased a total of five svdbs in a short amt. of time, and in the confusion posted a pos. feedback for this seller without first checking cert. numbers. I didnt find out about this until yesterday.

All the coins I received are in the safe deposit box, and I didnt realize I hadnt gotten it. (yes I am an old airhead)
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Leads to what?
    The current owner?
    Sorry, I don't have that info, and I'm not sure if anyone here does have it whether they would give it out to you.
    Besides, if the account was hijacked, what good would having the info on the current/past owner do you?

LINK
  • Options
    Evidence of ownership by one of you honest people is a prime indicator that this auction was fabricated. Im going to the district office of the FBI tomorrow, any information you or anyone may have on this can be transmitted directly to them should any leads develop.
  • Options
    Why is there POSITIVE feedback for that auction? image
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    many fraudsters snag from Heritage archives - good pictures and easy to download/recrop

there are 122 coins in their archives that are 1909-S VDB PCGS MS64RD

I checked the first 10, but decided maybe you should check
    you need to click on each auction to get to see slab - but they are there
  • Options
    That was my mistake. I bought five svdb's as investment coins, putting them all in the safe deposit box. In the confusion I didnt check all the cert numbers and left that feedback on the wrong auction. three were 64reds, just like this one, two received, this one not.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I don't want to sound harsh, but this was an obvious hijacked account. I hope you nail the scumbag, but you really need to do more due diligence when buying on eBay.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

PCGS may be able to tell you if the coin is currently registered. I don't know if they can say who had it slabbed or not?
  • Options
    Why don't you turn on your PM & profile?
    You might get more info via PM.

I would also suggest putting the coin in your set.
    If someone tries to insert the coin into a set they won't be able to.
    Not sure if PCGS can track by that alone, but if that someone sends out a request to remove the coin from the set it's in.....BINGO!

Let us know how it goes with the FBI.
    Not sure if PCGS would give out info on the coin to the general public, but giving info to the FBI.....