Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What do you think of these Jordan autographs?

OK, Here is the story. During the 89-90 basketball season, I was dating a young lady here in San Antonio. I was big into cards then, and I was chasing the David Robinson Hoops card. Of course, that was a big mistake. Anyways, she had a younger brother who was a Spurs ball boy for a season. He had a Nike box filled with auto cards that he got. He had a good selection of players in addition to these Jordans. I bought them all from him for about $75 if I remember correctly. These would have been signed in the same year of issue or maybe one year later. What do you think? I think there was about 25 different cards from this set including the Jordans.
#1 2000 Blue Xceptional Set(and #2 and #3, it's a sickness)
1933 Giants

Comments

• Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    They do not look right. I hope I'am wrong though.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Who knows how he signed when he was younger. Send em to PSA/DNA!

Ankur
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    I'm skeptical these are good, though if the story is true they might be...my problem with the sigs is this...if they guy was a ballboy, Jordan would have taken his time to sign...the signatures show sigs of "stress" like either MJ was carrying something and signed with his his hands half full of something while the BB held the cards, or maybe MJ signed right after going coast to coast with a flying finish dunk with no time left on the clock to win the game.

While it has some positive characteristics of a Jordan autograph, the main one is missing. Jordan's signature starts with a very rounded flowing "23" that makes the M in his first name. These look more like "73".
  • Options
    I was wondering if maybe that was just a rushed in-person signature. I am real familiar with basketball signatures from this era(with the exception of Jordans). I almost have the entire 89-90 Hoops set autographed. A lot of the other cards he had were right on the money but the sigs were a little sloppy. I am trying to figure out why a 14 year-old kid would fake a Jordan autograph for his own collection. He only sold me the cards because he was no longer interested in collecting. Of course, this issue was not an expensive card back then but it is now. So, anybody else???
    1933 Giants
  • Options
    The second one also looks like it does not flow. There is some very obvious stop marks on the sig.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    A jordan auto starts with a 23?

I always thought it was a M....h....l Jo....

(dots meaning lines)
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    In 1989 during the David Robinson chase, the 88-89 Fleer set caught fire. These cards went for around $35 and $20 (not autographed of course). If this kid faked autos to ruin these cards back then he's an idiot. They may be real (probably so if your story is true) but I doubt an authentication company would verify them because they don't look like other Jordan sigs.
  • Options
    I agree. If they are legit, they are pretty sloppy. How would PSA know the nuisances of how Jordan signed "in a hurry"? What would it cost to get these authenticated and what would be a price that they would sell at if they were authenticated?
    1933 Giants
  • Options
    $20 bucks a piece to get authenicated. I think its worth it.
  • Options
    Here's a site to check out..They are kinda simillar to the 1988 fanstyle autos

LINK
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Dizzle - thanks for that link. That's a great resource for Jordan's.
  • Options
    Look like they might be real. Are you looking to off load one of them. I still need Jordan for my NBA 50 greatest Auto collection.

J
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    dizzle's right on. Definitely looks like the 1988 fan style if you scroll to the bottom of his link.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "How would PSA know the nuisances of how Jordan signed "in a hurry"? "

///////////////////////////////////

They know.

The sigs look correct to me.

One of his early coaches posts here sometimes.
    I will hunt for some of his threads with scans.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    What a great website!! After seeing his dated examples, I feel pretty good about the signatures. To be honest, I always thought they were real but didn't know how to "check" them.
    Thanks Dizzle for the link.

Dr J Never really thought about selling one or both of them. I am not sure what they would even fetch.
    1933 Giants
  • Options
    To me they both look like they were signed in a very slow hand .

They do not look like they flow as many of his others do .

The signatures also do not slant to the right as many of his others do , these are more straight up and down .

For 75 bucks though, I think I might have bought them too from the kid , my very next move would have been getting them authenticated .
  • Options
    Maybe I didn't make it clear in the first post but I bought all of the cards from my girlfriend's brother. It was about 75 to 100 signed cards. I bought them around 1990 or 1991. We broke up in 1994, so that is about the right time period. There was no authentication companies at that time. I just added them to my collection.
    1933 Giants
  • Options
    There's definetley alot of info about early jordan autos on that site. If you do plan to get them authenticated and would like to move the allstar card let me know. I have a friend who is doing the whole set psa/dna certified and I believe he needs that one. good luck!
  • Options
    100% fake
    Buying or trading for these signed Jeter rc's:
    1992 GCL, 93 Stadium Club, 93 Greensboro,, 93 South Atlantic League, 93 Topps Marlins & Rockies,, 94 Classic Tampa, 94 Procards Tampa, 94 Florida State League & 95 Columbus Clippers.

• Options

<< <i>100% fake >>

you didn't go by itsinthegrade before did you??
  • Options
    Hello, This will be a pretty bold statement especially for a new member.

I reviewed both cards and both cards are genuine, signed by MJ circa late 80s. Also taking note, that the owner of the cards....story matches the signature timeframe that MJ was signing in this style

Compare them yourself to several that I have gotten inperson 1988-89.

Also in regards to the theory of how MJ signs his "M" like a "23" isn't true...someone just made it up and it caught fire...lol,

I can show you at least 10- 15 different variations of the M alone...
    RAREAIR23.COM
    THE SITE
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, Here is the story. During the 89-90 basketball season, I was dating a young lady here in San Antonio. I was big into cards then, and I was chasing the David Robinson Hoops card. Of course, that was a big mistake. Anyways, she had a younger brother who was a Spurs ball boy for a season. He had a Nike box filled with auto cards that he got. He had a good selection of players in addition to these Jordans. I bought them all from him for about $75 if I remember correctly. These would have been signed in the same year of issue or maybe one year later. What do you think? I think there was about 25 different cards from this set including the Jordans.
    image >>

imageimage

Look simliar to me.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    What an awesome thing to have stashed away for so long. Get those bad boys authenticated.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rareair23,

I am making an assumption that you are the owner of the Jordan auto website. Regardless, that is an awesome site. You seem to know your stuff. My goal is to add a Jordan signature to my collection one day. I tried TTM (with about as much chance as winning the lottery) and got an autopen sig.

Shane

• Options
    Yes, I am the owner of the website. Thank you for the kind words, The site needs to be updated...and hopefully when time permits I'll add more content. I've been studying his signature for years on end. Which autopen did you get? is it the one that's listed on my website?

As for MJ TTM, as of yet I haven't seen one that's signed by him. Most were secretarials that were sent out in the late 80s.

RAREAIR23.COM
    THE SITE
  • Options
    Here's several more examples for you to view.

RAREAIR23.COM
    THE SITE
  • Options
    cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    Count me in as another big fan of the website. Are you from Chicago? When's the last time you ran into Mike?
  • Options
    The last time was during the 1997-98 season as the Bulls made a westcoast road trip. (I'm from california)

Had the calculations correct...when the Bulls would arrive at a hotel in Marina Del Rey...sure enough, they came walking thru the lobby at almost 1am in the morning..
    RAREAIR23.COM
    THE SITE
  • Options
    cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    Mike would actually stop & sign? I've seen him several times around the city & subs and each time he's pretty much followed like a God and people try and get anything signed (napkins, beverage cups) He might be a little tried of it.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>100% fake >>

100% Jealous
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set