Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1909 VDB PR66RD in Long Beach Sale FEB 16

1909 VDB MPL Cent PCGS PR66RD plus many more. Here is a sample of some of the other dates in the auction.

1912 PR65RD
1914 PR66RD
1915 PR66RD
1916 PR65RD

NOW ITS THE REDS TURN TO SHINE!!

Looks like the big move in prices is bringing them out!!

MPL's
Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.

Comments

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Very nice selection here!!!! image These, and the Husak Copper, make this a must watch event!!!!!!!!

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked at the pic and one word comes to mind: gesundheit! image
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

It's good to see some MPLs up for auction.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Some of the images look disappointing, I will hope the coins look better in hand.
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I looked at the pic and one word comes to mind: gesundheit! image >>

LOL
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

The VDB isn't all that bad. You guys are probably trying to "boo-hoo" the coin so you can buy it for yourself. I'm going big time after that coin.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I told you we would see another 09 VDB up this year!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

Yep!!

Here is your quote word for word!

"Gentelman, Gentelman! This kind of coin and auction price will bring out another example for auction in 2008. I will bet my whole collection that the recent sale of this 1909 VDB Matte will look like a "Bargin Price" when the next one sells".

WS
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would check it out in person before judging the coin off of that picture. Their recent round of matte proof pictures are some of the worst I have ever seen taken.
    Doug
  • Options
    That 1914 is a real winner also. Red coins suck.imageimage

• Options

<< <i>That 1914 is a real winner also. Red coins suck.imageimage >>

Spoken like a true "have not" .... image

Red is what all other cents aspire to be.

What would you do if you had crappy looking red like the 1914 Matte? Wait until the market is white hot and dump them on it. It's the best you will ever do to get your money back out of them. Truly that 1914 though should be sent back to PCGS for the guarantee. I'll be the 09vdb doesn't look as bad in person as that photo.

I might be interested in that 1915 in 66red, but from the photo, my 5 red looks better.
    Doug
  • Options
    Doug,

From what I can see your coins blow these away by several orders of magnitude.

Just think, for every red that turns, the true pop get lower and lower.

• Options
    Hope you saw my little wink at the end of the line. I was very fortunate to have picked up the high end coins when I did, and had the money to buy them. I don't know if that would hold true in today's market. I have owned some beautiful colored mattes, but in life one has to make choices .... I still wish I had my 1916 PR66RB back along with my 1909vdb PR66RB back, but I couldn't afford to keep them and buy the full red examples at the time. It took 10 years to put my set together like it is today, and I still feel like that was a short amount of time to do it in.

I saw someone talking about difficulties in purchasing upgrades for their collection. I feel their pain. Unless Stewart decides to sell some more, or lower his prices on what he has for sale, I'm pretty much stuck (which ain't such a bad place to be with the coins I have). I can't afford the 1914 PR68Red right now at the price he is looking for, but maybe the funds will come around before he actually sells it.
    Doug
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The VDB isn't all that bad. You guys are probably trying to "boo-hoo" the coin so you can buy it for yourself. I'm going big time after that coin. >>

Hope you get it.
  • Options

Right now, it's at $74,750.00 with the juice!
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Curly, are you sure it made the $65k bid yet? I'm seeing it still at the $60k + juice. Steveimage
  • Options

Hope you get it.

If you only knew...

• Options

<< <i>Curly, are you sure it made the $65k bid yet? I'm seeing it still at the $60k + juice. Steveimage >>

You're right brother, I read it wrong.
  • Options

<< <i>Unless Stewart decides to sell some more, or lower his prices on what he has for sale........... >>

Anyone got a link to stewarts items for sale?
    Young Numismatist ............................ and growing!
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1909 VDB PR66RD in Long Beach Sale FEB 13/14.............Zoom in on the obverse,
    and tell me what you see.

Al
  • Options
    Al,
    I see those spots just like everyone else does. Does it change the grade of PR66RD that PCGS assigned? Does it change the perception of what the coin is worth? Would you want THIS coin in your collection? Those are questions many potential buyers of this coin must determine. We will find out how strongly the seller wants to sell and how much the potential buyer wants THIS coin in the coming days. Steveimage
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted on this awhile back and I think those spots should hold this to a PR64.

But then again when its the only beer in the fridge and you are thirsty and wealthy.........
  • Options
    Hard for me to not post the one that sets the bar for Proof 09 vdb's:

imageimage
    Doug
  • Options
    PCGS should pull this coin off the market and reslab it as a 64. Heritage should pull it from the auction. The absence of either action (and the continued hype - or the condoning of it) borders on fraud.
    The coin looks WAY more like the pics in the slab then the doctored overexposed (inundated with light) ones on top. I've seen it in hand here in Dallas. I'd call it a 64-65RB at best. What a scam.

• Options
    <<PCGS should pull this coin off the market and reslab it as a 64. Heritage should pull it from the auction. The absence of either action (and the continued hype - or the condoning of it) borders on fraud.
    The coin looks WAY more like the pics in the slab then the overexposed (inundated with light) ones on top right. I've seen it in hand here in Dallas. I'd call it a 64RB at best. What a scam.>>

I agree and disagree. This coin is not very common. From what I have seen in hand of other "rare" coinsand key dates, some seem to be graded generously. Now granted the coin is not perfect. A 66, yes. a red? no. rb with the way it looks to me. I dont think its a scam or fraud, if you look at the market and the examples out there, this matches what alot of 66's look like. This one has minimul spots, look at the 64rb that just sold at FUN, thats a 64 rb all day. Not this one.
    Now Im not saying this is a upgrade canidate, but I would bet its about right for the grade. The 67 above is why its a 67. Nothing there but pristine dreamy matte fields.

Even with this 66red's short comings, I bet it tops $125K.
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    The rarer the coin (and the more money at stake) the more overgrading is (encouraged?) acceptible and condoned? image Seems bass akwards to me but I'm never surprised when greed is the driving motivation. image
  • Options
    Think the auction coin is probably a 65rb based on looking at both sets of pictures. I would love to hear a report from someone who has viewed it in hand.
    Doug
  • Options
    This same auction coin sold for $15k in 2000. There is another set of pics with the auction, but they are not much help.

Auction Link
    Doug
  • Options
    I think as it relates to the 1909VDB Matte Proof Lincoln cent, that people bid on this coin based on what they are willing to pay in order to acquire it, and NOT specifically on what the grade is stated on the label. The label grade, as far as PCGS is concerned, does provide some support because of the PCGS guarantee. I note now that the seller is apparently satisfied with the online bid of $60K and will not put a reserve on this coin. So we will now see just how much higher this coin will go in the bidding in the next two weeks. Steveimage
  • Options
    2keele2keele Posts: 12 ✭✭
    With all the interest in the 1909 vdb matte, does anyone think that one (or more) of the other mattes might slip through the cracks and be picked up at the right price?
    2keele
    Edrew
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Doug is probably spot on (65RB) without being TOO harsh.

Old pics certainly don't scream 66RD either (and it has darkened and spotted since):

p.s. I HAVE seen it in hand and I say 64-65RB
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I will definitely go and look at them.

I will definitely not be bidding on them.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options

The coin is now at $74,750 and yet another bidder has entered the contest!
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess If the buyer is happy with the grade,and price, that's all that matters.

To simple?
    A
  • Options
    I would be very happy to see a few lower grade VDBs come on the market. A nice PR62BN with granularity and toning......How high over book do you think THAT would go for?
  • Options

<< <i>I would be very happy to see a few lower grade VDBs come on the market. A nice PR62BN with granularity and toning......How high over book do you think THAT would go for? >>

Ambro51. Here is the problem. There are NO PR62BN coins graded by either PCGS or NGC. In fact there are only 3 coins graded PR62 by PCGS and none graded PR62 by NGC. I own the ONLY PR61 graded by either service and I'm very happy to own it. No other coins have been certified by either service at PR62 or lower. At the PR63 level NGC has only graded 1 coin and that is a PR63BN. PCGS has graded 13 PR63's and only 2 are PR63BN. All this also assumes that NONE of these coins have been upgraded in the past 21 years.

So what does all this mean? It means that it is fine to dream that a "nice" lower grade 1909VDB Matte proof Lincoln cent will come on the market, but if it is RAW you really have to be brave to spend significant dollars in the "hopes" that one of the major TPG's will slab it.The chances of seeing one of these lower graded VDB mattes in an auction is quite slim IMHO. Steve image
  • Options
    You are correct. So I shall rephrase...it would be interesting to see more VDBs in grades lower that 66RD come onto the market, to see what the price structure would be.

Perhaps a general scrutiny of all existing 09VDB business strikes would result in a few more coins being certified as proof. The chances of that happening may be higher than we think, these coins may be plugged into a hole in a whitman folder that was put together decades ago. I know I took a second look at the five or six I have ;-)
  • Options
    Interesting?

9th bidder disappears and the coin drops back one bid increment. Now back to $69K with 8 bidders. Did this forum's comments scare him off?
  • Options
    We can only hope so. Do YOU want to see someone get ripped off? Do YOU think it is really a 66RD? Are YOU willing to pay 66RD money for it?
  • Options

"Caveat Emptor"

and of course I don't want to see anyone get ripped.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your about to dump that much money on the coin, I would think you will look at it yourself, or have a knowledgable bidder on site telling you what he/she sees. This ain't Ebay. But the coin is still going over $100,000.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Isn't it interesting that the 9th bidder and the higher price was up there for a few days. I thought that once the bid was accepted it was legally binding. I guess there are always circumstances where you can "politely" get out of your commitment if you know the right people.

That being said, I will now make another prediction on this coin. So far I've been dead wrong a couple of times. I predict this coin will sell at its current price of $69k with the juice. While I do believe that the 09VDB matte "value" is NOT just based on assigned grade, (People who can afford it and REALLY want one for their collection will pay what it takes to get one) I also believe that in this current economic atmosphere and the fact that the coin is assigned a grade that alot of us may think is "overgraded for the way it looks NOW"will cause some potential buyers to "pass" on this one.

We will see what happens later this week.

Steveimage
  • Options

Steve,

I don't think that is an unreasonable prediction. I would not be surprised to see the coin sell at its current bid.

Jack

• Options
    I dont know on this one. I think it may have some more in it. I wouldnt be at all surprised if Steve is dead-on here.