Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My holiday purchases from my favorite shop (with scans)

I saved up to visit my favorite card shop over the holidays and here are the cards I bought: 6 raw and 4 slabbed. I'm going to submit the 6 raw to PSA at the end of the month. I'd be interested to see what the Board members would predict their grades to be. The final two are in BVG holders and I'm going to send those two in for the crossover service. If they grade 7 or better I'm happy, if not I can return them to the shop for full store credit. Do you think they'll cross to PSA 7?

Thanks! And enjoy!

1963 #1 NL Batting Leaders
1963 #242 Power Plus
imageimage

1965 #3 AL HR Leaders
1959 #150 Stan Musial
imageimage

1959 #543 Corsair Trio

1968 #247 Johnny Bench RC

Two PSA slabs...'58 Kaline & Reggie rookie
imageimage

Finally, the two BVGs...first the Carew RC

And finally, this beauty...a '54 Jackie

Looking forward to your comments!

Comments

• Options

That's my predictions on the raw cards but it's really tough to judge the '63s on scans. Nice '65 ldrs. card and '68 Bench.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice store you have there locally
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    That Tompkins RC is sharp!
  • Options
    damn dude, how much you save up? or shoould I say for how long?

Nice set of cards you picked up
    Bill
    looking for PELLE LINDBERGH's psa and 1960 fleer baseball psa 8 and up
    sets in progress
    R.I.P. Barstow 24 April 1999 - May 15 2009
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭✭
    Very very very nice! A great mix of cards too!
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    The 63's are beautiful - forget what they grade. The Batting Leaders is 7 at best but its beautiful.

The 59 Musial is hard to find in nice condition, submit it and see what happens.

Personally I don't like the centering on the Carew.

I'd be happy with the Robinson.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    You actually have told the store owner that you are going to try and cross the BVGs, and he said that you could return them if they didn't cross?
  • Options

<< <i>That Tompkins RC is sharp! >>

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Just from the scan the 65 HR leaders looks like it could be a 10, depending on how the back looks. Although I can't for the life of me figure out why he wouldn't have graded these cards himself.
  • Options
    paleo

i always enjoy your purchases from that shop. and i do think both will crossover to 7's.
  • Options
    WOW who would actually send them to BVG?

i would like to meet the person that trusts beckett vintage grading...

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Nice cards! I think both will crossover without any problem.. Good Luck!

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>WOW who would actually send them to BVG?

i would like to meet the person that trusts beckett vintage grading... >>

dude you always bust out with the negative posts and whackjob conspiracy theory posts..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>WOW who would actually send them to BVG?

i would like to meet the person that trusts beckett vintage grading... >>

dude you always bust out with the negative posts and whackjob conspiracy theory posts.. >>

No he doesnt HE TYPES VERY NORMAL UNDER all circumstances.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>No he doesnt HE TYPES VERY NORMAL UNDER all circumstances. >>

you must be an 80sJunkie alt.
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    nice cards, i dig the jackie robinson.. and yeah the 64 leaders card looks really nice..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭✭
    I trust BVG... why wouldn't I?
    When I first started with vintage, I submitted my nicest cards to BVG.
    I think their holder is pretty nice.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    KikoKiko Posts: 93 ✭✭
    The J. Robinson is one of my all time favorites. For some reason it doesn't seem to draw as much interest - that's a shame...I have the 63 Aaron/Banks in my office at work - truly beautiful card. I think yours looks like a 7.
    Working on these raw sets:
    54 & 55 Bowman
    55, 56, 58, & 60 Topps.
    Have lots of cards, including some PSAs, 53-58 to trade.
    Also, have Football 55-57 to trade for BB cards.

YOU DON'T RUN ON ROBERTO CLEMENTE!!!
  • Options
    Fandango bashes BGS and BVG every chance he gets, and yet will not reply to posts alledging that PSA has the same exact issues, if not more....
    www.sportsnutcards.com
    Specializing in Certified Autograph Cards, Rookies, Rare Inserts and other quality modern cards! Over 8000 Cards in stock now! Come visit our physical store located at 1210 Main St. Belmar ,NJ
  • Options
    because they are incompetent at beckett, they slab trimmed cards all day, they bump 9.0 to 9.5 and sometimes to a 10.0, they fuel the biggest ebay trim artists with all the 9.5's that are clearly short.....

they bump the CENTERING SUBGRADE to big submitters (the centering is measured how can that be subjective and deserve a sub-bump, i dont know but beckett does it)....

their plastic they use distorts the card and does not shine clear, it is a thicker , yet a poor optical plastic...

i wont name names but im sure most of you know the bigtime ebay sellers who sell mainly beckett 9.5 that are short...

i dont know anyone who sells trimmed PSA cards DO YOU?

i bash beckett because they deserve it, and i have a huge beckett collection unfortunately....
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Everyone of those cards look great. It is nice to see a card shop that has great vintage for sale. Congrats on the purchases!!!!
  • Options
    Are you serious?????? You dont know anyone who sells allegedly trimmed psa cards??? You dont ever read the threads about the big time psa submitters and how they allegedly have favortism???? How about the threads about crack and resbmit games being played??? Again, i would make you a wager that there are mosre altered cards in psa holders then there are in beckett holders? What do you say about that? Wake up dude, you have no idea...
    www.sportsnutcards.com
    Specializing in Certified Autograph Cards, Rookies, Rare Inserts and other quality modern cards! Over 8000 Cards in stock now! Come visit our physical store located at 1210 Main St. Belmar ,NJ
  • Options

<< <i>because they are incompetent at beckett, they slab trimmed cards all day, they bump 9.0 to 9.5 and sometimes to a 10.0, they fuel the biggest ebay trim artists with all the 9.5's that are clearly short.....

PSA has never slabbed a trimmed card?? If you think not your'e more of a fool than I thought.

they bump the CENTERING SUBGRADE to big submitters (the centering is measured how can that be subjective and deserve a sub-bump, i dont know but beckett does it)....

PSA offers "sub bumps" it's called a review maybe you should become familliar with the services your grader of choice offers.

their plastic they use distorts the card and does not shine clear, it is a thicker , yet a poor optical plastic...

And PSA slabs offer less protection, can be easilly opened for switching out cards and resold by scam artists.

i wont name names but im sure most of you know the bigtime ebay sellers who sell mainly beckett 9.5 that are short...

i dont know anyone who sells trimmed PSA cards DO YOU?

Why not say names if your'e gonna go this far?? there is big dealers on ebay who sell tons of PSA 10's that look inferior to myself 4sharp corners comes to mind.

i bash beckett because they deserve it, and i have a huge beckett collection unfortunately.... >>

If you really think about it these companies all have problems. If the card collecting comunity all thought like you and claimed a certain grading company can do no wrong then we would really be in trouble.

While I'm not trying to bash one company and stand up for another I'm just trying to point out none of them are close to perfect. There are more than a few collectors on here I have spoken with who have PSA.BGS,SGC, and GAI cards in there collection But mainly only share there PSA cards due to morons like you that pretty much are telling them there cards are garbage. Because it's not graded by PSA
    TextTextText
  • Options
    Exactly dizzle, i think all of the 4 major companies do a decent job of grading, but none are perfect. They all have graded trimmed and altered cards, all have some skepticism of favorism, and all have overgraded and undergraded cards...
    www.sportsnutcards.com
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the kind words, guys. In answer to your questions and comments:

BassPro77 - I pay pretty close to Beckett high-book, so if a card comes back a 6 I'm losing value, a 7 I'm breaking even, 8 and better I'm adding significant value.

SidePocket - I'm concerned about the Carew's centering too, the BVG centering subgrade is 6.5. Using the pixel ruler and measuring from the most off-centered border (bottom left to top left), I get 22.8/77.2 which is outside PSA's tolerance for 7 (25/75). Oh well, I'll send it in anyway and keep my fingers crossed.

gemmintrarities - I've been spending good money with this card dealer for the past 7+ years and we've established an excellent relationship. If the Carew doesn't cross, he'll give me $250 store credit...

MajorDanby & Perkdog - Thanks guys, and I hope you're both right!

I'm going to submit the raws and crossovers on the $13/5 day special at the end of the month and I'll report the results after I get the cards back.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Goodluck Paleo, nice cards!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>
    gemmintrarities - I've been spending good money with this card dealer for the past 7+ years and we've established an excellent relationship. If the Carew doesn't cross, he'll give me $250 store credit.... >>

Wow...good deal....