Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

It is getting more difficult to find upgrades to my set

It was rather easy when I started

submitted and made some

frequently showed up on eBay and Teletrade/Heritage

now they are seen less frequently

I have even had to buy one on Superior (in a group of 4 coins - $25 shippingimage)

some are tied for top-pops or only have less than a handful higher

I have now been searching Bowers&Morena, David Lawrence

it may take forever to break into the top 10
and upgrades are now looking like $500+ coinsimage

Any suggestions ?

I collect war nickels
with only 11 coins to the set

and apparently modern because most dealers stop at buffalo nickels

Comments

• Options

<< <i>It is getting more difficult to find upgrades to my set >>

Unfortunately this is a problem we all have at some point! In Caleb’s Showcase Set, we have 114 coins to choice from, still upgrades are far and few image
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    ouch, I see what you mean - and your list gets longer every year

did you have a bid on the 67 SMS 68 DCAM that Heritage just sold?

you could have gotten it for $6 K
  • Options
    David,
    I completely understand and I am experiencing the same thing. If I want to upgrade my Lincoln Memorial set, it costs me $600-$1000.

But, what a good problem to have. image Good luck on those upgrades.

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    You'll be interested to know you'll have a rather significant chance later on this year when JHF sells his set. Hope you have a full checkbook.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    I know the feeling well, with 23 complete sets in my group staying on the front page is hard and with a bump of only .01 for most upgrades man I can pull my hair out and don't get me started on the dime a dozen 68's and 69 SF coins.image

Dan
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options

<< <i>I know the feeling well, with 23 complete sets in my group staying on the front page is hard and with a bump of only .01 for most upgrades man I can pull my hair out and don't get me started on the dime a dozen 68's and 69 SF coins. >>

Dan,

Right or wrong, I believe that when PCGS straightens out the variety issue with the Kennedy Half Dollars, then like the other series, The Kennedy Half Dollar Basic Set of Circulation Strikes will require both the “Business Strike” and “Satin Finish” issues from 2005 to date.image
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    JustHavingFum selling all US and just keeping Phillippines?

He has the only 68FS war nickels - would like to see them

but I also heard the war nickels are his favorite
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Sinin,

I feel the same regarding upgrades. While waiting for upgrades for my proofs, I started a toned Jeff collection just to have something to do. Then at FUN, Parke's halves will upgrade two of my coins. BUT, they are $20k+. image

Which are your nickel sets?

Dave
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sinin 1, I commented to another Jeff enthusiast at the FUN show this weekend that the high grade/
    full step market has dried up. They were plentiful during the Omaha Bank Hoard sell off by Heritage, even
    non OBH Jeffs were everywhere. Since Heritage has sold down from 4500 or more nickels, there seem to
    be more Buyers than Sellers. My only war nickel find at the FUN show was a very nice, (but common) white
    6 step 44-D in 66/67 raw. I gave 55 dollars for it. My advice is to save your money, cause the JHF sale
    will be a free for all with never before seen high end Jeffs! Shag
  • Options
    headsplitter2headsplitter2 Posts: 459 ✭✭✭
    I've tried on occasion emailing the holders of top pop sets if they have any coins they might have, that they don't need and that they may entertain offers for.
    By the way where are you in the war nickels on the registry?
    I'm currently 52 on the retired side. Just to many "whales" to reach the top 10.

Headsplitter2
    JD
    "Only 2 things are certain
    Death and Taxes" ~~ Ben Franklin
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/mint-sets/1945-mint-set/publishedset/21067
    Knutson's 45' Set 2009 Winner
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    It's natural for the top pops to be difficult to aquire as you get down to last few. There are a lot more collectors then ever before and while the vast magority start out as modern collectors, over time they also get interested in some of the classics. In 20 years you will be paying silly money for some of these coins you are paying less than $100 for. I myself predict some real shortages of coins and some rather nasty price wars especially with the mean standard of living continuing to go up.
  • Options
    Tell me about it !!!! Heritage has a nearly complete set of gem Barber quarters up for sale in February Long Beach ... a very rare occurrence indeed. I was so excited when I saw the quantity of (81) lots for MS Barber quarters in the auction previews dropdown list. But after browsing through all the lots, there was NOT ONE potential candidate for my set. image

That's the only downside to completing a great set ... the thrill of finding new coins, upgrades, etc becomes harder and harder to repeat ... but it's a small price to pay for havin a nice set that you can enjoy !! So while I understand the gripe, you should also take pleasure in the fact that your set is getting harder to upgrade !!! image

Best,
    Sunnywood