Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Another Johnny Unitas Auto (Part Next: 1972 Topps)

After getting the Unitas/Manning PTT I've been all about some Johnny U. Admittedly, I wasn't that knowledged on him until recently. In any case, I've been searching Unitas stuff as much as I search the likes of Ripken and Manning. Recently I wanted to pick up a vintage signed card but wasn't able to get it. I saw this one last night with a pretty high BIN and decided to send an offer, which was accepted pretty fast. Not sure if I gave too much, but here's what I got for $75. Not in a Colts uniform, but I can live with it. If nothing else, maybe I can flip it for a small profit and use the extra cash on another copy. Any feedback is welcome.

Comments

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I saw that card last nite as well. Looks very nice in the holder, I probably would have got it myself if it hadnt have been for the high Bin price. I cant believe he came that far off the Bin price, Nice pick-up !

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    $75 is fine, and I would just keep it for the collection.

BUT, if you are going to get serious about him, you need
    some Colts-card autos. You should be able to find some
    nice ones in 5-7 for about $100+.

He signed LOTS of stuff with ball-points. Some are VERY
    hard to read, BUT most will authenticate.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    I don't think you gave too much for it. Very nice looking card! image
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    He signed that one in a good place. He did sign in ball point a lot and he often signed in dark hard to see spots. I have a really cool 1989 Staring Line Up signed that looks great. It is JSA authenticated.
  • Options
    ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, I saw that card last nite as well. Looks very nice in the holder, I probably would have got it myself if it hadnt have been for the high Bin price. I cant believe he came that far off the Bin price, Nice pick-up ! >>

Thanks! The offer got accepted so quick I started wondering if I gave too much. There's been a signed '59 posted off and on for awhile with a BIN only that nobody has picked up. I recently sent the seller an inquiry about it but have heard nothing. They're probably hoping that I'll want it so bad when it gets posted again that I'll jump the BIN. I didn't know if I wanted to give $300 for a signed '59, but figured I could at the very least get my money back for what I gave for this one.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "He signed that one in a good place. He did sign in ball point alot
    and he often signed in dark hard to see spots."

////////////////////////////

Exactly.

MANY are VERY difficult to see. They sell for less
    and will still be found authentic at PSA/DNA.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Here's a zoom of the sig:

• Options
    I think its a very nice autograph, the scan dosen't do it justice, it happens to me sometimes too. You have to see the card in person to see the real beauty! image

Giovanni
  • Options
    If you look hard enough, you'll find a signed rookie card for sale. As much as I've been into the signed rookie cards with the '82 triple/'68 Ryan/Koosman, an extra $1,000 is probably out of my reach. Granted, I would thoroughly enjoy having one.
  • Options
    I agree a 57 Unitas would be sweet, The 59 Unitas Shaq-fu has out there will be re-listed soon, I remember when he won it for around $200 bucks, Looks like he is trying to double his money on that one. I dont know about anyone else but I think buying a raw Bart Starr rookie and sending it to him to sign for $40 bucks could be a wise investment.

• Options

<< <i>I agree a 57 Unitas would be sweet, The 59 Unitas Shaq-fu has out there will be re-listed soon, I remember when he won it for around $200 bucks, Looks like he is trying to double his money on that one. I dont know about anyone else but I think buying a raw Bart Starr rookie and sending it to him to sign for $40 bucks could be a wise investment. >>

I'd agree that would be a good idea.

I'd be curious in regards to how many authenticated copies of each card there are. Not that it makes too much of a difference, but it might be worth checking. If memory serves correctly, the '57 was in pretty good condition as well (PSA 6?)
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    I think having a signed Chargers card is pretty unique actually. I have been watching for a Chargers mini helmet to add to my Colts and HOF signed helmets for him. Are you going to try to put a complete run together of his signed original Topps run? That would be very cool project and I bet with some patience you could find a low grade 1957 surprisingly cheap.

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>I think having a signed Chargers card is pretty unique actually. I have been watching for a Chargers mini helmet to add to my Colts and HOF signed helmets for him. Are you going to try to put a complete run together of his signed original Topps run? That would be very cool project and I bet with some patience you could find a low grade 1957 surprisingly cheap.

Snorto~ >>

As much fun of a project as that would be, I doubt I have the cash for it. The '59 had amazing eye appeal while the '57 would be simply amazing in any form. I just wanted to pick up a signed card and thought it was a good price.
  • Options
    Just got the card in the mail. I totally didn't see that there was a crack in the case on the right side of the slab. It's not a huge break, nor does it take a "chunk" out of the case. It's also not something that would've prevented me from the offer I made. Either way, a nice card in person. Nice card in person.

Haven't totally decided, but I may go ahead and sell it to use the money on one of the 2 copies I would've enjoyed having in the first place.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    Starr signs cheap through the mail but I'm 99.999% positive he personalizes all items sent to him to sign with no exceptions. I thought about getting my psa 4 rc signed for my set but I didnt want it personalized.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Decided that I couldn't live without the signed 1959 Topps Unitas so I bought it through the seller's site. Last night I saw a signed 1961 Topps reprint sell for the same price as I was able to get this one so I decided to go ahead and complete the deal. I would've loved the signed 1957 that is available, but couldn't commit that much for it right now. In addition, I absolutely love the look of this card. Of course any feedback is appreciated.

I hate to turn this into a B/S/T board but if anyone likes the signed 1974 above I'll let it go for what I have in it. Feel free to drop me a PM if interested.

Here are the scans of the '59:

imageimage
  • Options
    The word love is a strong word to use for a baseball card, but the signed '59 may very well be one of my favorite cards that I have ever owned. A small bit of surface damage in a spot or two, but a beautiful card in person. I'm going to do some higher resolution scans to post in my bucket. I'll try to post a zoom of the sig in a little while.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone see the Antiques roadshow from Baltimore where a guy brought in a 1958 Johnny Unitas championship jacket? If I remember correctly it was apprasied at $40,000-$60,000.
    The guy got it when he was a kid, his family lived close to Unitas and Johnny would come over and visit sometimes.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    wow, that's a helluva '59 Unitas. What did it cost if you dont mind the question?
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>wow, that's a helluva '59 Unitas. What did it cost if you dont mind the question? >>

It was in an ebay store for $295 but I was able to get it from his site with shipping/insurance for $293. I was told that it sold for less earlier but deided that I was willing to pay it. I absolutely love the look of the '59 and figured that I wouldn't have any trouble getting that $293 back in the future. I was on the fence for around a week until I saw a reprint sell for more than it would cost for the original '59. When I saw that, I decided that I should go ahead and get it.

There's a signed Unitas rookie that's up for $1,000. As much as I'd love having it, I felt this was the better option.
  • Options
    It's been a fun week for finding Unitas stuff. I had a bad night the other night in regards to a signed '62. The seller decided that he didn't want to part with it after the close of the auction. With that being said, I hit a BIN that was $60 less for a signed 1960. It's not authenticated, but I was confident enough in the seller to get it and send it for authentication. The seller does offer a refund if it doesn't get certified. With all of that being said, the 1959 was paired up with the 1960. When a 1958 was posted I hit the BIN tonight. Doesn't have the greatest centering, but I can't complain. Here are the scans:

• Options
    So I lost out on a PSA/DNA Authenticated 1969 Unitas which immediately found a spot in a store for a $399.99 asking price. Although the sig could've be in a better spot, I really liked the look of it. Maybe it's the orange. In any case, the seller decided to list it without a reserve and I picked it up. It previously sold for $127.50 and I got it tonight for $93.

• Options
    Got the card last week but didn't get a chance to scan it until tonight:

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Wonder why he signed down there..

Regardless, great looking card image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    gonna get all his playing day cards signed? still selling the '73?

Once a cheaper '57 shows up, dont fight me for it!
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    did you see this 68 poster? very impressive:

unitas poster

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    I did see the '68 poster but wasn't sure if I wanted to go after it. As much as I would enjoy a run of the signed Unitas cards, I'm not sure that I'm going to go for it. For one, some of the people with the cards may simply not come off them or want way too much for them. Essentially I'm going for some of the ones that I think have solid eye appeal. I've had the chance to get some other Unitas stuff away from ebay but no deals have happened.

As far as the '57 goes, it would be nice to have but the only one available will take more than it would sell for at auction.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    He really has a gorgeous signature.

Can tell he takes his time and tries to be consistant.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>He really has a gorgeous signature.

Can tell he takes his time and tries to be consistant. >>

Totally agree. The people who have met him personally have stated how he made every interaction a good one. As far as the sigs go, it looks like he tried to make each card as great as possible.

I forgot to mention the signed '73. After picking up the '59, the '73 found another home where I knew that it would be appreciated.
  • Options
    nice cards
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    The quest is over for the signed Unitas RC. Apologies in advance for using the auction scan.

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice Johnny U, glad you picked one up.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I never saw this thread before today. You have a GREAT Unitas collection, man. Congrats on the signed 57. Soon as I'm back amongst the ranks of the employed, at 57 Rookie PSA 7 is near the top of my list.
  • Options
    Nice find and awesome collection.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    nice card. I guess you got it for the 640? seems like an ok price.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>nice card. I guess you got it for the 640? seems like an ok price.
    John >>

I couldn't pull the trigger at the $640 but with the 25% MSN discount and a 10% coupon the final price was a little over $400.
  • Options
    wow only $400! thats a great card.
    If you ever sell it (yea right) let me know,
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>wow only $400! thats a great card.
    If you ever sell it (yea right) let me know,
    John >>

The exact final price (after the MSN reimbursement) was $417.50 with shipping. Maybe not the best of times for a buy like that but I doubt I'll ever find another copy for that price and I'd like to think I can get that back out of it. FWIW the card had a final sale price lower than a pair of modern signed Unitas cards. Considering the amount of time and frustration involved in finally acquiring this card I hope to be able to keep it for awhile. The fun question now shifts to whether or not to go for the complete signed run.
  • Options
    if you ever decide to sell any of them let me know..ha ha i would love to be able to give it to a friend who gave me his entire card collectionm from when he was a kid..and i would like to thanks him..the only cards he kept were trailblazer cards and unitas cards.
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful stuff and a truly worthy subject. A major childhood hero, even though he was getting near the end of the line.
  • Options
    Here's my personal scans of the front and back. Kudos to the seller for the extra thrown in:

• Options
    I'll admit that I never decided against going for a run of signed Unitas cards. However, in comparison to some of the prices I've paid there are a lot available that's out of my reach at the moment. I was still able to work out an agreeable price for a signed '72 Topps. Not authenticated but it appears that it's from a very reliable seller. Considering the refund option it'll be off to PSA for authentication in the very near future. No picture uploaded but the auction ID was 260341171282.

Hope all is well for everyone,
  • Options
    Congrats Chris ! nice pick-up on this one !

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you look hard enough, you'll find a signed rookie card for sale. As much as I've been into the signed rookie cards with the '82 triple/'68 Ryan/Koosman, an extra $1,000 is probably out of my reach. Granted, I would thoroughly enjoy having one. >>

Nice pickup on the 74 Topps. $75 is a great price for an authenticated Unitas rc. I just picked up a beautiful Unitas signed rc for $700 (for my signed 57 Topps set) - I'll post a scan if you'd like.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options

<< <i>Starr signs cheap through the mail but I'm 99.999% positive he personalizes all items sent to him to sign with no exceptions. I thought about getting my psa 4 rc signed for my set but I didnt want it personalized.
    John >>

John,

Starr signs for a $25 donation to the Rawhide Kids Club. You're right that her personalizes everything, which isn't idea but it's better than paying $100 to $120 per autograph (which is what he now charges) to have you item signed at a show. My 57 Topps Starr is personalized. At first it bothered me, but I'd rather spend the extra $75 to $100 on other cards/autographs.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Great price for the Unitas rc!! What's funny is that seller has been fishing that card for the past 2 months. If memory serves, he started by asking $700 and then slowly started lower his price when it didn't sell. I was salivating over it, however I had already agree w/ Jack Wallin to buy his for $700 - which is signed in ballpoint pen. I wouldn't have minded the one you have either - great, bold signature.

About a year before Johnny died, I was at a card show in Chicago where Unitas was signing. I was hemming and hawing over whether to get his signature. At the last minute, I decided to spend the $40/per auto and get a card (1997 UD Legends) and mini-helmet signed. I quickly ran through the show to find the mini-helmet (I already had the card w/ me) and ran back to get in line. He really didn't look up after signing the autographs - however I told him what a great honor it was to meet him and we shook hands. What stands is how arthritic his hands were - especially his right (writing) hand. Fast forward 7 years, I would gladly spend $40 per autograph to get everything I could get my hands on (including all of his Topps, Fleer and Philly cards) signed!

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    we should all put up scans of our Unitas signed cards and see if we could make a complete run of Unitas signed cards here. It would be neat to see all the cards from his playing days signed. Let me know if you guys are up to it and I'll dig through my stuff and pull out some Johnny U's.

• Options

<< <i>Congrats Chris ! nice pick-up on this one !

image >>

Thanks for posting the picture. It'll be going off for authentication right after it gets here. I've been trying to work out another deal on some other Unitas stuff but it's not looking like anything will happen. I'm all about paying fair prices for signed Unitas stuff but some of the expectations out there are pretty high.
  • Options

<< <i>we should all put up scans of our Unitas signed cards and see if we could make a complete run of Unitas signed cards here. It would be neat to see all the cards from his playing days signed. Let me know if you guys are up to it and I'll dig through my stuff and pull out some Johnny U's. >>

That's not a bad idea. Feel free to use any of my scans if you want.