Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Making a website for my collection

Just started messing around with the idea tonight of creating a web page to show my collection.

Looks like it may be a nice winter project to get all my crap scanned and uploaded.

Just used a built in template and don't have a lot of html knowledge but here's what I have so far:

My Virtual Museum

Comments

• Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    So far, so good! image

Keep it going. Are you going to be selling cards on the site as well? I see that there are prices (at zero right now) under the scans in the baseball link.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I just fixed that. The template was for a catalog and the zero pricing was already there

thanks
  • Options
    Nice!

I've been working on the same thing, but I started last winter. I'm hoping by spring I'll have something actually on the web. image
    << image >>
  • Options
    I just scanned/cropped over 500 cards for Seau. Man that was a pain in the arse. At some point I will create a website for them.

NathanSr
    Successful purchases: Lawnmowerman(2), Wabittwax, mkg809, thePlasticman

Successful sales: xphunk, vjsteele4, onefasttalon, five7teen, yankeeno7

Successful trades: mijang

Generous Souls: MBMiler25, DES1984
  • Options
    Looks good to me! image

I've wanted to start something like that for a little while, but I guess the PSA set registry as to do for now.

Giovanni
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Nathan- if you have photoshop you can scan everything and then the program will automatically crop and straighten them. I scan 3 at a time and then when I have a whole bunch run the crop and straighten action- takes a few minutes to do about 80 scans, all while I'm doing something else. If you need specifics pm me.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Looking good!
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

This is fun. Lots of scanning to do. Nothing to do at all today so I'll probably be working on it most of the day.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good morning Mike.
  • Options
    Good Morning Nick - how are you?
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    Zep,
    Looks good.
    What did you use to get started making the template? I have been working with HTML for about two weeks now and have really picked it up. It is simple once you really break it down. I just made two different ebay selling templates and plan to list about 20 cards using one of them tonight. It is actually fun editing HTML on a small scale.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    I'm using Dreamweaver and these are just built in templates that came with it.
    Only time I look at the actual code is when I'm copying and pasting to add the ability to have more than the 8 pictures that the templates start with.
    Other than that, I'm just clicking on buttons that do things automatically LOL
  • Options
    I'm good Mike, you?
  • Options
    Zep,

What, no love for the Basketball section? image

Giovanni
  • Options
    LOL only have 1 card image
  • Options

<< <i>I'm good Mike, you? >>

fine, thanks for asking
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice set up..
  • Options
    Where's your avatar Mike?
  • Options
    I lost it when I was adjusting my sig line. It saved as something else and I couldn't find mine in the database.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    zep nice job. dreamweaver is an awesome program.

there is a book out called dreamweaver cs3 in 24 hours. awesome book. step by step instructions on how to use it.

• Options
    Spent a lot of time this past weekend updating and reorganzing the way the cards are displayed and added a few more categories.

Still have lots of scanning to do but I'm pretty happy with it. Don't laugh at the vintage section. Only have a few things scanned so far (not that I have a lot anyway but..)

My Virtual Museum
  • Options
    looks good...i would like to offer some constructive criticism though..

I would suggest that you narrow your page so that the whole page can be seen without having to scroll (at LEAST at 1280x1024)
    What resolution do you have your monitor at? Most have it at 1280x1024 or less and would have to scroll to see your entire homepage.

Just a thought...
  • Options
    Thanks - I'm aware of having to scroll but I designed it on a wide screen monitor and both my monitors at home are widescreens.

it does bother me a bit but do they even sell square monitors anymore? Guess I'm just futureproofing it LOL

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Nice job! I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with your site...and you'll give a lot of enjoyment to your visitors, as well.

The first thing I noticed is that you might want to include the card description under each image. I have no idea what most of those Daisuke cards are. Also, the main page looks really nice, but the navigation sort of breaks down when I link to any of the individual collections. Just a couple things to think about.

Good luck...and have fun!

Drew

(here's my site, if you want to take a look: Thrill22 - The Will Clark Gallery.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice job! I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with your site...and you'll give a lot of enjoyment to your visitors, as well.

The first thing I noticed is that you might want to include the card description under each image. I have no idea what most of those Daisuke cards are. Also, the main page looks really nice, but the navigation sort of breaks down when I link to any of the individual collections. Just a couple things to think about.

Good luck...and have fun!

Drew

(here's my site, if you want to take a look: Thrill22 - The Will Clark Gallery. >>

AJW I just went to your will clark site and my virus protection alerted me saying the following..

McAfee has automatically blocked and removed a Trojan.

About this Trojan
    Detected: JS/Generic Exploit.i (Trojan)
    Location: C:Documents and SettingsOwnerLocal SettingsTemporary Internet FilesContent.IE5UWXPVUXVindex[1].htm

Trojans appear as legitimate programs but can damage valuable files, disrupt performance, and allow unauthorized access to your computer
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    very cool site, im working on one now too, actually have it up, just working on scanning my cards now..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>very cool site, im working on one now too, actually have it up, just working on scanning my cards now.. >>

Don't forget Perry. You said you were gonna do mine when you were done.

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>very cool site, im working on one now too, actually have it up, just working on scanning my cards now.. >>

Don't forget Perry. You said you were gonna do mine when you were done.

image >>

yeah but www.arnolddrummond.com is already taken
    ·p_A·