Home U.S. Coin Forum

1830 Bust Half... O-119? and help with grade, please...

I offed my 80 Unc. 1964 Kennedy's at my dealer today and grabbed this. Near as I can tell it's an O-119. Am I right?

Also, any opinions as to a grade would be most appreciated!! (remember, if it's a O-119, the shield was under-struck with almost no crossbars).

Thanks,

Rick

Comments

• tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Color looks weird.
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know the Overton variety but I would guess it's an XF45.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

• Yes a 119, main tell is the part fill of A1 on the reverse...

Looks in the 45 range and Very Nice...

A little something going on with the obverse fields tho...

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BottleGuy: Your new Bust Half has very nice eye appeal, with lots of remaining mint luster.

I'd probably say that it's in a state of preservation of about AU-53, but that it would probably net grade down to the XF-45 to AU-50 range due to the apparent field contact friction areas to the left and right of Miss Liberty.

Although I cannot be certain from the photos provided, it almost appears that someone was trying to cover up or mask the scratch at about 3:00 on the obverse.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a high end AU coin to me, but I do not know if I like it very much for an even swap of $40 face BU silver.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    I like it at around an AU-50.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like a high end AU coin to me, but I do not know if I like it very much for an even swap of $40 face BU silver. >>

So, how much is that in dollars?
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    AU details all day long. I cannot see clear indications of any problems. Venture she's between a 50 and a 55.
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I think it should squeeze out a 50 in today's market. Strictly a 48/49, but since 48 and 49 aren't real grades I'll roun up for the sake of the arguement.
  • AU53, maybe AU55. I don't see any major problems.
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth. ~Vladimir Lenin
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like a high end AU coin to me, but I do not know if I like it very much for an even swap of $40 face BU silver. >>

Since nobody bothered to tell me how much melt value, I looked it up myself.image Looks like $443 for the Bustie in this thread. Might make AU details, but would likely net XF. Sorry, but this R1 Bustie was no bargain at that $443 price.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • AU53. Seems do have a fair amount of luster.

ed to add last sentence
    Trustworthy BST sellers: cucamongacoin
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    I like it at AU53 also. Not sure how accurate the image is color wise. If its accurate, I probably wouldn't pay AU money for it. Not sure what happened to cause the two vertically oriented dark lines down in front of the image...but I don't like them there. Distracting as heck to me. The weak strike reverse you noted is a negative. I've seen a lot worse looking Bust Halfs...but quite a few better as well for that degree of wear. Nice type coin.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Nice looking coin.....in my opinion the dealer did not do you any favors with the price.

Would love to see it on coinzip....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file