Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1969 Nabisco

Anyone out there with a perspective on why the 1969 Nabisco's which were cut from the back of the cereal boxes appear so much harder to find in good condition than the 1962 Posts which were printed the same way ??

The Nabiscos appear way harder to come by in PSA 7 or above condition graded or ungraded.

If anyone has any, I'm interested in upgrading anyone less than a 7 in my registry set "summer of 69"

Comments

• Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    Very nice cards ArmourGuy. I remember when I first started my 1963 Post Cereal set, I think there where about 300 total cards graded and I had over 200 of them. The pops have changed a bit since then.

I'm sure the '69 Nabiscos are out there, you just need a few good sales to show up on ebay or an auction house and then the cards will begin to hit the market.

Good luck with your set, I may look into that set myself, I really like those cards.

Dave

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    I have an ungraded set--nrmt but cut very tightly around the lines--suspect that they would not grade well due to this.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Maybe eye appeal has kept them from being widely collected.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Hi Armourguy,

Congrats on a great set! I have the number 2 set. I have been looking for these card on ebay for about 3 years. The cards I have in PSA6 and above have almost all came from two full boxes I cut up. The real problem is that the cards share a thin line and its almost impossible to get the line on both cards. I ended up choosing the better card and just making sure it came out all right but that makes a couple other cards not gradeable. I have also cut a couple post panels and they do not share a line so they have plenty of room to cut each card out nicely, huge difference. Also on the panels I have had, one card ends up with glue on the back and I have had a couple with corner problems because the cards are tight on the bottom.

I still have one panel, I will see if I can get you a scan up so you can see, I think I have a post I can put up so you can see the difference.

Good luck on finding those upgrades.
    Scott
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Did any of the Post cards come from unfolded boxes...hence the wider availability of some examples in higher grade.

M
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    hi. I guess its my turn to chime in. I am the other one on the registry in 3rd (my main cards) & 4th (my back up cards)

There is a Willie Mays at:
    Willie Mays 1969 Nabisco

The Kaline and Brock that were on this site above, I picked up about 3-4 months ago or something like that, but they still have the images out there (these two were quite costly to pick up I guess but well worth it for my personal finds/needs). I received a 6 on the Kaline, as I said in a past post I thought I would get an 8-MK but a 6 was cool - a 7 would have been much cooler.
    The Willie Mays on this site referenced above in the link looks pretty sweet, but I already had bought one off Scott (smtjoy), and had purchased another one that I got graded right at the exact same time. Both are 6's - as is obviously evident by looking at my registry set.
    The Tom Seaver at this site looks somewhat nice cept for the fact the bottom has ZERO dotted lines so it would probably get an authentic. All of the other cards are miscut severly inside the lines..... I wish the Gibson would have had a good cut..... but it doesnt.

Right now I have a few on the side that I am going to submit (waiting for the next cheap special that includes cards from 1969) but I only expect the Brock to do well (above a 5 or 6) - the Brock is one that can be seen at the web site link above.
    I also have a Stottlemyre that has about 95% of the dotted lines, but has a wicked crease in it, so I dont expect anything better than a 4 on it , but thats fine. I have a Frank Robinson that is in the same state as the Stottlemyre but has a all the lines on 3 sides and only about 5% of the line on the bottom so I am not sure whats going to happen with it. I have two Juan Marichals, one that I picked up at the chicago card show in november and one that I got on ebay - they are very similar in that they are basically missing the same amount of dotted line from the entire card but have full portions of the dotted line on 3 sides and only small hint of dotted line on the 4th side. The Marichal that I found at the card show was at the very last dealer we stopped at and it was the most successful stop because found someone who actually had Nabisco cards (he only also had a Kaline , but it was cut well inside the dotted lines and I already had that), a 1971 Kelloggs card that I needed and was/is gradeable, and also picked up a killer 1972 PSA-7 Pete Rose - and basically for these 3 I really only paid SMR price for the Rose - so I was happy to have got what I liked to be a sweet deal.

Then the latest one I picked up I stumbled upon on ebay - its an aaron - but its pretty difficult to see much of any dotted lines on the top and on the right side so this one may only get authenticated if I do put in for submitting.
    Hank from ebay auction.
    The night before the auction I was just typing in names of the players from the 1969 set and scanning through all of the auctions and seeing if something stuck out. Basically I had nothing to do on a friday night and I was at my computer looking at ebay auctions - pathetic yes I know - but at least it served some purpose for me..... as as little as it may have been , it was a small bit of success.

Also this website
    Columbia City Collectibles
    has a list in its 1969 year of a bunch of Nabiscos. I asked him awhile back the condition of a few of them and when I did receive an email that time , he had stated that there were no dotted lines present. When I asked a couple months ago about the status of the panels listed on this site and the detail of the singles - I never received a response. Since my budget for spending was quite slim at that time I decided not to pursue this any further. Maybe you will have better luck than I if you attempt contacting them [hint....... you should probably call them or fax them - email is definately not the quickest way to go from what I know.]

A couple of the cards in my registry I got from mickeys....... (or whatever the URL name is) and I have looked at naxcom but they only have a couple without pictures that are listed as VG. Then I just perused beckett and the one card on there that is stated as near mint is an oliva and it only has the black borders which is well within the yellow border and dotted lines.

As for those cards above that I referenced I was submitting, I probably wont do it until a march or april special or something like that, but if I do it earlier I will let ya know my results and I will post them here - as well as putting them in the registry.

The next time I see a panel out there on ebay I probably will fire a few bullets at it - which I regret not doing the few times they were out there last year (twice I think one panel and one time someone offered all 3).

I just basically brained dump all the information I have on this topic.

Later
    Best of luck on the upgrades - to both you (phil, right ????) and Scott (smtjoy)
    Rich
  • Options
    SMTjoy - sharing the dotted line makes sense. Back then we "kids" would have tried to cut right on the line making both cards now ungradable. You guys are right, the Posts were seperated on the box. That may explain it all. I'd be interested in seeing the panel scan.

Krahte - some very good info. thanks. I guess we are all suffering from the lack of quality material.

• Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    SMTJOY-said it correct-the cards shared the same borders/dotted lines ....sometimes left/right and other times top and bottom.....if you have never seen a uncut box you would understand that the bottom left and right cards shared common borders on the sides and tops with 2 other cards...they are the real tough ones to find cut well----I have 2 uncut boxes and the cards are placed in a "U" shape layout on the back of the box.....down the sides and across the bottom.
    My set is pretty nice but Ungraded.
    A side note-these are the same photos used in the large sports illustrated posters of 1968..the measure 2x3 feet.
    Also two variations (tight and wide) borders exist on this set..making the outside demension just a little different.
    Scott
  • Options
    Ok here are the pics-

Full panel-

Closer look at the very hard to cut bottom cards-

Post panel, much easier to cut (not mine got on ebay)-

• Options
    smtjoy - thanks, now it is very clear to me. Just like Bazooka panels, if you seperate the cards you loose one card or both. Forgive me, it has been nearly 40 years since I have seen the full panels.
  • Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    Just to add to this wonderful thread-how nice and beatiful (vintage) are the dotted lines drawn on the nabisco box panel....there is no rhyme or reason to the spacing or the length of the lines...somewhere a graphic artist sat at his drawing board with a ruler and a black pen and came up with these lines...not too worried about where they intersected or the spacing in between...in the computer age we are so accustomed to seeing everything layed out so perfect.
  • Options
    I was the higher bidder on the Mile High auction for the three nabisco cereal back/box panels. I was willing to go deep on this since its (it was) my own personal "white whale" on my card/memorabilia collecting checklist (well that and a really really nice looking 1975 Hostess Bob Gibson panel is also on the list). Although this link is still out there on the Mile High site, I will post scans of the panels when I get the chance. Not sure if I will just keep them stored away in the box that they get delivered in or if I will put them in some frame or whatever and hang them up for display at home.

My only question on this one is did I outbid any of you other 1969 nabisco collectors that frequent this message board ? Like I said above I was willing to dig into the coffers for this one.

later
    take it easy
    rich
  • Options
    yeah I meant Memory Lane..............
  • Options
    Congrats man, glad to see a board member win them, also someone I have talked to at them a couple of times. I though hard about bidding but decided to hold off as I just spent a bunch on winning a lot in the REA auction. I think you got them at a good price, I would have bid in the $1200-1500 range. I cant wait to see your pics.
  • Options
    Thanks Scott. I am sending the check tomorrow. As soon as I get em I will take pictures of em and post them - onto this thread. Not that it matters now but I had 1832.00 max on them. I would have had to let em slip through my fingers for more than that.

later
    rich
  • Options
    Always nice to win something for a lot less than you were willing to bid )
  • Options
    Still waiting, on the 3-panels from Memory Lane, to arrive in the mail.

I did receive my Tom Seaver today

Tom Seaver
  • Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    i have a nabisco set minus the rose for trade or sale or would trade the whole set for a psa nabisco graded rose. pm me.. corey
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options
    The 1969 Panels - multiple pictures. This is the slideshow version.

1969 Nabisco Team Flakes Slideshow

Rich
  • Options
    online article on this set. whoever wrote it, very cool stuff.

1969 Nabisco article

Here is a link to my registry set for the 1969 Nabisco's

1969 nabisco - registry set