Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1888 Oval O VAM's

Here are a two 1888 Oval O's that I picked up a few weeks ago at local B&M for sub $20 range.

Here are what I think after looking over all the pup's.

First one I'm pretty sure is a 1888-O VAM-24 High Oval O Tilted Left. Although havent completely ruled it out as a 1888-O VAM-21 Oval O Tilted Left.

Second set of pictures show a 1888-O VAM-17 Near Date, Oval O. Close up pictures of die scratch.

VAM-24

VAM-17

I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

Comments

• Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    11:30 eastern time last night wasnt a good time to post this since all the happy new years posts quickly sent it into page 3.

Bump back up for any opinions.
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to C. Ash Harrison's 1888 & 1889 Oval-O attribution guide, I agree with your VAM 17 diagnosis. As for the VAM 24, I'm not sure. The date and mint mark placements look correct, but key diagnostics Ash discusses are too small (and perhaps too covered with gunk buildup on such a heavily circulated coin) to show up in the photos.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is meant by "Near Date?"
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

i'm taking a guess here, are you referring to the sba dollars? image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Near date refers to the position of the date relative to the tip of the bust. Near means the left edge of the lower serif of the 1 is no more than 2 denticles away. Far means at least 3. Normal, as you can deduce, is somewhere in between.

On the two coins, I'm leaning toward VAM 24 and 17, but haven't checked any of my resources yet. I'll look into it after I get back from taking the kids sledding. They need to burn off some steam and I need to burn off some Indian food.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Mmmm.....Indian food.

Would be nice to take my kids sledding. A shame it would be an 8 hour drive or so.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file