Home U.S. Coin Forum

Should Coin World allow for active graders to write articles and then use the articles to promote th

I really like the articles that Michael Fahey write for Coin World. They are very informative and provide some real world examples of counterfiet coins. However, I wonder if Coin World should allow for such articles to be part of the "unbiased journalism" in their fine weekly paper. Although the content of the articles are great, they typically end with a comment such as the one in the most recent issue, "Collectors need to continue to use caution with any Trade Dollar purchases, and use the expertise of a major grading service like Independent Coin Grading to avoid buying counterfeits."

Again, I really like the articles, but I wonder if the promotion of ICG crosses the line in any way. What do you think? In all of QDB's articles, I don't recall him ever writing something like, "you should expect top dollar for your coins at auction, especially if you consign at Stack's" or something similar.

Do you think the "Detecting Counterfeits" articles should be kept, but the self promotional text for ICG should be edited out by CW's editor?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    How much do you think Mr. Fahey gets paid for writing that column?
  • saw that and wondered the same thing. even got icg cover on the mag. and all.
  • (the latest edition of coin world has a icg cover, if someone doesnt have it) sorry.
  • Here's my thoughts such as they are.

I don't know much but I think from hanging out here you're probably one of the more knowledgeable collectors here. Probably that statement isn't necessary for a guy of your background. However, the magazine is probably written to a target audience that probably includes many beginners with the hopes of getting new subscribers. Advising a reader to use a TGP regarding trade dollars is pretty solid advice.

I think if they target every sentence towards the advanced collector might alienate a good portion of audience.

All this being said, Does Fahey own an interest in ICG? If so it could go both ways. Depends on how you look at it.

Good discussion point, though.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How much do you think Mr. Fahey gets paid for writing that column? >>

I would think close to nothing, but there could be an intangible benefit to ICG, especially the direct promotion/advertising in the column.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • a039a039 Posts: 1,546
    Would PCGS or NGC allow a grader to write a column for the magazine?

I enjoy the column and it would be great if PCGS would have something similar on this site even if they masked the writers identity.
  • percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    The comment about having the coins certified is correct, but the magazine should have edited out the name ICG, imHo.
    Happy New Year, ya'll.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mite not be a bad idea to "ask the editor".
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't hurt the hobby to learn.
    WHO CARES if it "promotes" ICG or not? No one is treating it like a stock tip.
    They are learning about counterfeits, etc.

I would rather have someone with knowledge do an article like that and get free press for the company they work for than to NOT have the knowledge.

Some people worry about the littlest of things and just like to try to stir things up

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Michael Fahey no longer works for ICG, he is now one of the top people at the New and Improved ANACS!
    On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It doesn't hurt the hobby to learn.
    WHO CARES if it "promotes" ICG or not? No one is treating it like a stock tip.
    They are learning about counterfeits, etc.

I would rather have someone with knowledge do an article like that and get free press for the company they work for than to NOT have the knowledge.

Some people worry about the littlest of things and just like to try to stir things up >>

good point, ron.image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    the scenario is (was) not a good one. Will he be promoting ANACS now? - well, maybe it's part of his deal to write for them. Dunno.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many numismatic publications are as much tout sheets as real newspapers.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I really like the articles that Michael Fahey write for Coin World. They are very informative and provide some real world examples of counterfiet coins. However, I wonder if Coin World should allow for such articles to be part of the "unbiased journalism" in their fine weekly paper. Although the content of the articles are great, they typically end with a comment such as the one in the most recent issue, "Collectors need to continue to use caution with any Trade Dollar purchases, and use the expertise of a major grading service like Independent Coin Grading to avoid buying counterfeits."

Again, I really like the articles, but I wonder if the promotion of ICG crosses the line in any way. What do you think? In all of QDB's articles, I don't recall him ever writing something like, "you should expect top dollar for your coins at auction, especially if you consign at Stack's" or something similar.

Do you think the "Detecting Counterfeits" articles should be kept, but the self promotional text for ICG should be edited out by CW's editor? >>

If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I really like the articles that Michael Fahey write for Coin World. They are very informative and provide some real world examples of counterfiet coins. However, I wonder if Coin World should allow for such articles to be part of the "unbiased journalism" in their fine weekly paper. Although the content of the articles are great, they typically end with a comment such as the one in the most recent issue, "Collectors need to continue to use caution with any Trade Dollar purchases, and use the expertise of a major grading service like Independent Coin Grading to avoid buying counterfeits."

Do you think the "Detecting Counterfeits" articles should be kept, but the self promotional text for ICG should be edited out by CW's editor? >>

sorry for the double post my cursor moved

but your reading one man's views and experiences in these articles and it's up to you to draw your own conclusions.. as I open these forums everyday I see a banner across the top... does this make the information in here bias.. of course not.. I would rather read everything he had to say in it's entire uncensored version than have it edited by the editor..

when you buy a reference book and there is a page of advertising in there promoting the authors or publishers other ventures is the books information any less accurate or useful.. of course not.. but I have to tell you this censorship talk hit's a raw nerve.. let's use this forum as an example how would you like to read these posts and every reference to NGC, CAC, PCI, etc were blacked out .. what next the people associated with these organization, then maybe BongoBongo ...

If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • ram1946ram1946 Posts: 762 ✭✭
    Educators, researchers and recognized experts write articles everyday and cite their relationship with or reference to the institution they represent. I can't see this being any different - a learned person sharing knowledge that brings positive light to their sponsor/employer. Put the plug in, whether it be Harvard, Cornell or ICG.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file