Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1947 Italian 10 Lire

I was curious if anyone has information regarding the Republic of Italy 1947 10 Lire coin. My grandfather has had this piece for years and always believed it to be valuable. I am trying to determine if there are any die markers to check for authenticity. I do not have it in hand yet so cannot provide a picture or give an idea of grade (the last time I saw it was 15 years ago).

The only info I would find through Google was a brief history of the series on wikipedia and an old Heritage auction for an MS63 piece. I could find no mention of it on the CU boards (maybe I wasn't searching for the right phrase?)

Before I worry about value I first want to determine authenticity.

Thanks,
Aaron

Comments

• Options
    Mintage is listed in the 2006 Krause as 12,000 with values listed from $375 in Fine to $2600 in Uncirculated.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have my Krause handy to look at the mintages, but 1947 was the rare year for it. Hard to find in a nice condition as it's one of the aluminum issues. It has those relatively large open fields and the pegasus is pretty exposed too. I checked Heritage archives and they sold one in 2004 in and NGC MS-63 slab for $2645 (Linkage--maybe).

Cathy

• Options
    Thank you both for the info.

Does anyone know if I should worry about counterfeits for this issue? If so, are there any identifying marks on the originals that counterfeits miss?