Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Copper and silver makes a comeback in medicine

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here is some paragraphs explaining new uses for silver and copper in medicine:

Last month, the Food and Drug Administration approved sale of the first breathing tube coated with silver, a metal long known to somewhat repel bacteria.

Ventilator patients are at high risk of getting pneumonia. In a multi-hospital study, 7.5 percent of patients given a regular breathing tube developed pneumonia, compared to 4.8 percent of those given C.R. Bard Inc.'s new Argento ventilation tube, the FDA found.

Also this fall, Baxter HealthCare Corp. announced FDA clearance of a silver-coated IV catheter connector, designed to help prevent bacteria from clustering at this entry point to the bloodstream.

But a coppery hue in hospitals?

In a British study published last year, drug-resistant staph germs survived for three days on stainless steel plates kept at room temperature, but the researchers found no sign of the germs on pure copper after 90 minutes.

The new study, funded by a government grant to the Copper Development Association, is putting that finding to a real-world test involving three drug-resistant bugs — staph, enterococci and acinetobacter.

First, researchers are swabbing down a handful of ICU rooms at New York's Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, the Medical University of South Carolina and Charleston's Veterans Affairs Medical Center. They must learn where the germs lurk, explains Sloan-Kettering lead researcher Dr. Kent Sepkowitz.

Then the hospitals will substitute copper for some germ-prone surfaces in those rooms, and track if the change makes a difference.

Copper is expensive, but so are hospital-caused infections, Sepkowitz says.

(C) Yahoo!
A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.

We were in Best Buy a month ago buying a washer and dryer. The sales lady was telling us about a washer that emitted "silver ions" that prevented mildew build up. I couldn't get her to explain where the silver was coming from w/o replenishing it. image

Perhaps there is something to it??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file