Home U.S. Coin Forum

eBay Genius Believes I'm Committing Fraud. You Be The Judge.

I get this message from an eBay member. I'm considering whether or not to post their handle here because of how bright they must be. This is in the top 10 funniest messages sent to me so far on eBay.

"why are you selling this coin on Heritage too at the same time you are trying to sell it here? thats fraud and you have been reported to ebay and Heritage."

Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com

Comments

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I get this message from an eBay member. I'm considering whether or not to post their handle here because of how bright they must be. This is in the top 10 funniest messages sent to me so far on eBay.

"why are you selling this coin on Heritage too at the same time you are trying to sell it here? thats fraud and you have been reported to ebay and Heritage."

image >>

I'm speechless........the public can be so damn dumb!!!!!

Happy New Year, Brandon...."KING of ALL COIN PHOTOS" image
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Out the genius!

Russ, NCNE
  • I was confused myself at first with that. I bought a coin from Heritage and found it at your site. I didnt think it was fraud or anything. I knew your reputation and figured just trying to get the most exposure. No funny business though. I am happy with my coin. Woulda rather bought it from you though. ya live and ya learn.

He should have just said would it be better to buy it directly from another venue rather than the bay. i know some will say boo, but its just my opinion.
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Priceless!!!imageimageimage
  • Kinda understandable...but his message is quite amusing. image
    aka Dan
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess where talking about a Virtual Genius? image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do most of the virtual bourse listings at Heritage belong to ARC?
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    I concur with Russ!

• Tell him you got it on Memo.
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A misunderstanding perhaps...
  • stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    You should respond that you are also selling it on your web site, tele trade, HSN, Coin world, and the New York Times. image
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A misunderstanding perhaps... >>

I agree. In the past, I have been befuddled seeing the same coin offered at multiple different online venues. And besides, one of the scammers elementary techniques is to rip a photo from Heritage and post as a coin for sale on ebay. And wasn't there an eBay rule that one is not permitted to sell an item on eBay and offer it at another venue simultaneously? Perhaps, I am mistaken, but it's hard to juggle the rules from various venues, with the same coin showing up at multiple venues, etc.

• << <i>Tell him you got it on Memo. >>

Why???

Also, to those asking me to give up the name, I want to see his response to what I sent him. It's really irrelevant who sent it. It's really just about the entertainment factor.

"Hahaha. Funny. I list my coins on at least 4 websites at the same time and if that's fraud, I'm guilty as charged."

Happy New Year to EVERYONE! May you all be prosperous and well in the new year.

Edited to add:

RYK, you posted: "And wasn't there an eBay rule that one is not permitted to sell an item on eBay and offer it at another venue simultaneously? "

My account representative told me that you can list them on different venues simultaneously but cannot advertise the other venue offerings in the eBay listing. She knows I offer them on our website and said it was fine so I'm assuming that other venues are ok as well, just as long as you don't mention it in the ebay listing.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    tell the guy it is not fraud unless he buys and pays for it at both places, you keep the money twice, and only send the coin once
  • percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I get this message from an eBay member. I'm considering whether or not to post their handle here because of how bright they must be. This is in the top 10 funniest messages sent to me so far on eBay.

image >>

Whoever it is doesn't understand and I'd simply inform him or her how it works. It's better to be gracious to the uninformed. We were all in the dark about this stuff at one time. Besides, he or she may end up being a buyer of your coins. In sales, one has to be kind. Just mho though.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send him a dictionary and highlight the word "fraud" in yellow highlighter so he can see what it means.

• << <i>

image >>

Whoever it is doesn't understand and I'd simply inform him or her how it works. It's better to be gracious to the uninformed. We were all in the dark about this stuff at one time. Besides, he or she may end up being a buyer of your coins. In sales, one has to be kind. Just mho though. >>

I agree somewhat. I added a touch of humor in my reply to him and hopefully he got the picture. The guy's probably not the sharpest knife in the drawer so If he doesn't get it, oh well. I didn't think I was rude in my response.

I also got a message in the last few days which basically said we artificially tone all of our coins and that we are idiots. I responded saying that I'd tell him about spotting natural toning and he took me up on it and I made good and sent him a very informative response about different toning types on morgans. I haven't gotten a response yet but I hope he learned something.
  • You don't have to out him. I just looked up dumb in the dictionary and his picture was there.

<< <i>

I agree somewhat. I added a touch of humor in my reply to him and hopefully he got the picture. The guy's probably not the sharpest knife in the drawer so If he doesn't get it, oh well. I didn't think I was rude in my response.

I also got a message in the last few days which basically said we artificially tone all of our coins and that we are idiots. I responded saying that I'd tell him about spotting natural toning and he took me up on it and I made good and sent him a very informative response about different toning types on morgans. I haven't gotten a response yet but I hope he learned something. >>

I know how knowledgeable you are and how your insights offered to others can open up the world of coins for someone in ways they couldn't have imagined. Teaching others is a noble enterprise.
  • Teaching others is a noble enterprise.

My grandmother, my mother, my brother in-law, and my wife were/are career teachers. I have the greatest respect for all of them. This is my wife's second year teaching and it's something I simply couldn't do. The patience, constant paper grading, and unruly kids she has to put up with makes her a saint in my book.

My mother is retiring at the end of this school year. She's been teaching for over 30 years and has a heart of gold.

<< <i>Teaching others is a noble enterprise.

My grandmother, my mother, my brother in-law, and my wife were/are career teachers. I have the greatest respect for all of them. This is my wife's second year teaching and it's something I simply couldn't do. The patience, constant paper grading, and unruly kids she has to put up with makes her a saint in my book.

My mother is retiring at the end of this school year. She's been teaching for over 30 years and has a heart of gold. >>

You are fortunate to come from a family of teachers. Having them around reminds one to study . image The most influential people in my life, aside from my parents, have been teachers. So I'm sure your mother, and your wife, too, has touched the lives of many students.

Have a prosperous, healthy, and joyous new year!
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fugettaboutit...after you name them of course.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file