Home Sports Talk

Brian Billick.............GONE

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
OWINGS MILL, Md.-- Brian Billick was fired as coach of the Baltimore Ravens on Monday, less than a day after his team concluded a disappointing 5-11 season.

Advertisement

Players were told of the dismissal as they packed up their lockers at the team's practice facility.

Billick won the 2001 Super Bowl in his second season with the Ravens, and led the team to a franchise-best 13-3 record in 2006. But Baltimore lost a team-record nine consecutive games this season before ending the skid Sunday with a 27-21 win over Pittsburgh.

"This is the reality of our business," cornerback Samari Rolle said.

Billick's nine seasons with Baltimore was tied for third with Philadelphia's Andy Reid as the third-longest current run with the same team. He took the Ravens to the playoffs in 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2006, but Baltimore won only one postseason game since its Super Bowl run after the 2000 season.

"Sometimes the message can get repetitive after a while," 12-year offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden said.

Ogden said this month that Billick had informed the team he would be returning in 2008. But owner Steve Bisciotti evidently changed his mind.

The Ravens expected to compete for a world championship this season after bringing back almost every starter from last year's AFC North champions. But injuries and a turnover-prone offense contributed to a complete collapse after a 4-2 start, and Baltimore finished last in the division.

"This year the injury bug not only hit us, (it) hit our prime-time players," linebacker Bart Scott said.

Billick, 53, was hired as Baltimore's second head coach in January 1999, succeeding Ted Marchibroda. In Billick's first season, the Ravens reached .500 (8-8) for the first time. Then he led Baltimore to a 12-4 record and a berth in the Super Bowl, where the Ravens beat the New York Giants 34-7.

Billick was 80-64 as Baltimore's coach. He was the offensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings before being coming to the Ravens.

"I'm not saying I agree with it," kicker Matt Stover said of Billick's dismissal, "but sometimes things have to change."

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2006-2007, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Comments

• He won't stay unemployed for long, someone will pick him up as either a head coach or at least an assistant coach.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He won't stay unemployed for long, someone will pick him up as either a head coach or at least an assistant coach. >>

No doubt about it..
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    change for the sake of change never produces the desired result

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He won't stay unemployed for long, someone will pick him up as either a head coach or at least an assistant coach. >>

How many people can say on their resume that they won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer?
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never should have dumped Dilfer (as goofy as that sounds). His horrendous QB decisions have cost them a few games each year since. I wish him luck though, always found him classy, accountable, and sincere. Never thought he was arrogant as many have said over the years.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the biggest problems IMO is the lack of offense in Baltimore over the years. The running game has been consistently good but McNair being questionable 80% of the time coupled with a major lack of talent at the WR spot has been a huge part of the Ravens failure.
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    The process of the Ravens coming back from the dead has begun. I like Coach Billick a whole lot, but felt he held on to dead players a little too long. His play calling was very predictable and lacked much dimension. I know you have to have tools to use , but as a coach you learn to make the best use of the tools you have.

We swung from great heights of almost taking down the PATS to turning into TUNA droppings on the national level.

Brian , you will be missed as a person, but please don't let the door hit you in the back side.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • One of the biggest problems IMO is the lack of offense in Baltimore over the years

The funny thing is that he was considered an offensive genius at Minnesota and then could not build an offense at Baltimore.

I keep thinking why does anyone cut the QB that took hm to and won the Superbowl? I heard him say that they won despite of him but they never won anything without him infact they did worse.

Sometime you better beware of what you wish for.....
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>Never should have dumped Dilfer (as goofy as that sounds). His horrendous QB decisions have cost them a few games each year since. I wish him luck though, always found him classy, accountable, and sincere. Never thought he was arrogant as many have said over the years. >>

That does sound goofy, but you're right!!
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Releasing Billick reminded me of a NBA coach after a losing season saying---" I didn't get stupid during the off-season!!". Sometimes it is the players!!
  • bifff257bifff257 Posts: 751 ✭✭

<< <i> How many people can say on their resume that they won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer? >>

<< <i> change for the sake of change never produces the desired result >>