Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

There are still some good, honest people in this world!

I bought a small collection over a month ago for $350 from an older man (probably pushing 70) that used to collect. He stopped collecting about 15 years ago. I got a couple of low grade Mantles (1960 and 1961), several vintage stars, some sets, etc. It was a really good deal. This man just wanted to get rid of them. They were in his way, he said. He also told me that if he ran across any more that he had overlooked that he would call me and let me have them. Remember, this was over a month ago.

Well, I get a call a couple of days ago and it was that man. He said, "I found some more cards. Come get them when you are out this way. Well, today I was out that way and he had them ready for me. It looked like a bunch of junk cards, but I said, "Thanks alot. I'll go through them and see how many Cardinals are in there." Then, I left.

When I finally was able to look through them, I was very pleasantly surprised. In this box was over 250 1991 Topps Desert Shield cards. It looks as though there are no duplicates. There is no Chipper Jones, but there were several stars. It also had a complete (or at least near complete) Desert Shield Cardinals Team Set. The bad news is that I just spent over $50 on the same team set just a few weeks ago.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised.

Shane

Comments

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, I havent fleeced any really old people in a long time. Just kidding. Nice pickups.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Man, I havent fleeced any really old people in a long time. Just kidding. Nice pickups. >>

Good one! image

Shane

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its called Old School. These old timers understand about doing bussiness in good faith and keeping their word.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All kidding aside, if you want to give him that same "the world is a nice place" feeling like he gave you, then bring him a box of cigars (or something he may like on the same order) or a $50 gift certificate to a local restaurant since he didnt charge you anything more for the extra cards. If he did charge you for the 2nd pickup, then disregard this.

• << <i>All kidding aside, if you want to give him that same "the world is a nice place" feeling like he gave you, then bring him a box of cigars (or something he may like on the same order) or a $50 gift certificate to a local restaurant since he didnt charge you anything more for the extra cards. If he did charge you for the 2nd pickup, then disregard this. >>

+1 for nam

good advice. If you got such valuable cards for free, you really should compensate the gentleman, who obviously didn't realize what he had/has.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I agree.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Steve,

Happy New Year's!

your friend,

Josh
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I think it would be good to return the favor of doing a nice thing. image