Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Why shouldn't coin collectors buy at flea markets and antique stores?

If you can recognize the tell-tales of cleaning, thumb-rubbing, whizzing and dipping of coins, there is no reason why you shouldn't shop at these and other non-coin shop related venues.

Yes, 90% of what you'll spend hours looking at is common, over-priced, and cleaned.

But that other 10% will yield returns on dollars spent if you have the time and energy to educate yourself properly on grading..

Here's the gig- picture a seller of antiques, junque, someone who dabbles in selling coins at flea markets, related stores and locales.

A customer appears (you), and spends time making notes or taking pictures, buying at each visit.

It's worth it... despite the hours of walking up and down aisles of glass-fronted booths, waiting for service, staying near restrooms, saying the hell with it but starting all over again.

It can be worth it.

I get bit, don't worry- bought a $35 coin, didn't sell ( thank god) 'cause now I can't find it.image

But so far it is worth it.

I don't come in as predatory, just another browser. The sellers price 'em, it's up to the browsers to buy 'em, right?

Hey, they're happy, I'm happy.image

The coin store I used to make many successful purchases from over the years doesn't see the quantity or diversity of incoming collections that they used to.

So, venues...

Where do you find your raw coins?

Edited to add: uh, don't get me wrong, this whole post is probably dedicated to those who were in my position years ago, who didn't know anything, who were constantly advised (as newbies) against buying other than from a reputable source. Good advice! However, spend the time in the hobby buying and selling with dealers and forum members and reputable web sites and get educated. Then, venues...
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because there are many other fun things to buy at flea markets and antique stores... but it doesn't hurt to look

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't visit flea markets as often as I used to. I do enjoy small local coin shows, though.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No time image. My husband and I used to go through those back in the day before kids and more work responsibility. Especially the kids part. Unfortunately that was before I was interested much in coins...

Cathy

• Options
    I personally have found some great coins at great prices in flea markets. And I have found some very expensive junk as well . Just know what you are looking at and what the current market is before you buy from a flea market , dealer, or even a coin show . It's just like buying anything do your homework first .
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    It's just like buying anything do your homework first .

Thank you! Homework, homework, homework.

As I walk through endless aisles of both coin and non-coin related material I wonder how much I could find to resell successfully if I was only aware.

Information, books, experience, what I wouldn't give for quantities of both in relevant areas of collection.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I love flea markets and I don't see any problem buying coins at one. As has been said, one must always do one's homework.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not, indeed?

You have to sift through 90% common, usually-cleaned, often heinously overpriced material to get to that 10% decent stuff, as you mentioned, but if you're willing to sift the wheat from the chaff, you can sometimes make a good find. Sometimes, on those rare fine days, maybe even a good rip.

Y'never can tell.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I like the sifting part anyway.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if the 90/10 percentage is real. IMO, the coins I see at flea markets are 99.99% overpriced junk. So, yes, sure, why not, but like other posters suggested, there are much better things to look for in such markets. If you happen to come across a decent and fairly priced coin, yes, buy it. I once bought a 1928 Peace dollar for the equivalent of $3, sent it in and came back MS62 along with a bunch of common date Peace $ bought at the same price that graded upto 64. Goodluck finding this today...

It certainly does not hurt, but it cannot be considered as a serious alternative to replace the diminishing number of collections that your local coin shop has. Now if you were looking for books, maybe this is time better spent.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    I would say 95/5 for the ratio, but the patient man can find some jewels in the rough.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Oh, and I got my start as a flea market dealer, and am currently an antique mall vendor, so hopefully I'm in the minority of acceptable ones. image

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll tell you what Rob, you're probably right on the percentages. Nevertheless, flea market coin dealers are mainly targetting tourists and non collectors on a happy Sunday walk, who'd gladly buy a genuine silver, 100 years old memento for $50, but really worth $5. To the general public, all non circulating homeland or foreign coins are rare.

An occasional nice coin yes,but it cannot replace the volume of Laurent's local coinshop's decreasing supply.That could only be a different shop, or ebay,I know people who buy off ebay and sell privately, with very nice returns because they are connected and trusted by collectors who never turned on a pc in their lives and don't intend to.

And if that doesn't work, we can all donate and send him to cure his addiction. image

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

<< <i>I know people who buy off ebay and sell privately, with very nice returns because they are connected and trusted by collectors who never turned on a pc in their lives and don't intend to. >>

Yes, you do. I am one of them. However, in my case, I would amend that slightly to "...people who buy off BST and sell privately, with very nice returns..."

On some of the rare occasions when I am actually able to meet one of my local customers face to face, I am often asked, "Where do you GET this stuff?", and I just smile and say, "The Internet."

It's a beautiful thing, the 'Net. Look, here I am talking to a fine friend I never met, in Greece.

I daresay the 'Net has shrunken the globe even more than the jet airliner.

• Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I would say that about 50% of my collection came from flea and antique markets, 10% from ebay and 30% from BM and 10% from coin shows. Markets are like a big treasure hunt for me. Sure you have to wade through tons of crap. Have I been burnt before - sure - but my scores far outweigh them. During the season - I usually hit them 3 times a week or more
    These are some of my market finds that I have imaged