Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coins in Metz France Museum ** Pictures **

Originally posted on US Coin Forum, but added here since this is the World and Ancient Forum....

We went to a museum in Metz Saturday, and came across these heap-o-coins. There were plaques describing when they were found and when they are from. If I remember right, the piles range from under 200 coins to over 700 coins, and they were typically found in ceremic jars/bowls. The dates of the coins begin 100-200 AD, and a little more recent.

Sorry the pictures are not better, but the light was low and it was through glass of course.

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooooooohhhhhhh.... that is one big ol' FANTASTIC pile of ants!

(Antoninianii, for those unfamiliar with the slang).

What a great hoard! Thanks for the pictures, Brian!

Looks like some very nice stuff. I think I see the emperors Probus and/or Aurelian in the foreground of the top picture, maybe.

You're so lucky to be able to travel in Europe. I dream of wandering around amidst all that history one day. (Not to mention getting loose with a detector in some British or European dirt, and digging some stuff like that... *sigh*)

Speaking of antoninianii, I have built up a pretty decent "pile" of them myself, in less than a year of collecting Roman coins. Here are some of my more silvery ones. I have a bunch more without the silvering.

Gordian III, 238-244 AD (R-2)

Philip I ("Philip the Arab"), 244-249 AD (R-3)

Philip II, 247-249 AD (R-3)

Trajan Decius, 249-251 AD (R-3)

Herennia Etruscilla (wife of Trajan Decius) (R-3)

Herennius Etruscus, 251 AD (R-4)

Trebonianus Gallus, 251-253 AD (R-3)

Volusian, 251-253 AD (R-4)

Gallienus, 260-268 AD (R-2)

Postumus (c.260-269 AD, usurper) (R-3)

Claudius II, 268-270 AD (R-2)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.