Home Sports Talk

Most disappointing first round NFL rookie for 2007?

Calvin Johnson perhaps? He really failed to live up to that #2 pick.

Comments

• ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Calvin Johnson perhaps? He really failed to live up to that #2 pick. >>

I think we need to disqualify anyone who is a WR drafted in the first round by Detroit, otherwise they would monopolize the award.

• yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Johnson's numbers weren't that bad were they? A little over 40 catches and 700 yards is probably up there among rookie receivers.

Maybe it's my anti-Notre Dame bias, but Brady Quinn deserves some consideration. Although I guess most disappointed is probably more accurate than most disappointing for Quinn. The dude plummets on draft day and now he may very well not be his team's QB of the future.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    being from Cleveland I would agree with what was just said....Brady Quinn was MOST DISAPPOINTED. I don't think judgement can be passed on him, or in fact any quarterback after one year when they don't play. Who would have thunk Anderson would play like he did...although he still hasn't convinced me that he will be the QB for the future of the Browns. I was at yesterday's game and Brady looked pretty comfortable leading the Browns to a FG at the end of the first half...and it should have been a TD since two passes were missed that probably should have been caught. I haven't been a Quinn advocate in the past nor do I think Notre Dame is the best so please don't jump on me for saying he might still turn out ok. And like I said Anderson still throws too many bonehead passes in my opinion
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Johnson's numbers weren't that bad were they? A little over 40 catches and 700 yards is probably up there among rookie receivers.

Maybe it's my anti-Notre Dame bias, but Brady Quinn deserves some consideration. Although I guess most disappointed is probably more accurate than most disappointing for Quinn. The dude plummets on draft day and now he may very well not be his team's QB of the future. >>

Agreed
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The worst #1 pick by far is Saints WR Robert Meachem. He was so much worse than advertised that he did not even dress for a single game. Undrafted rookies were ahead of him on the depth chart.

5 years, $11 million - half guaranteed. Zero catches for zero yards and zero touchdowns. image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The worst #1 pick by far is Saints WR Robert Meachem. He was so much worse than advertised that he did not even dress for a single game. Undrafted rookies were ahead of him on the depth chart.

5 years, $11 million - half guaranteed. Zero catches for zero yards and zero touchdowns. image >>

Man, that's bad. In looking at the first round, I saw his name and thought, "There's a guy with no impact." I didn't realize he hadn't even dressed yet.

It was too painful to follow the Rams week in and week out so I have no idea what his play was like, but Adam Carriker seems like another in a long line of first-round Rams duds.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Other than the QBs who generally don't play much as rookies,
    it seemed to be a pretty stong first round rookie class overall.

Robert Meachem was the notable exception. Just wasn't ready for prime time?
    Maybe in 2nd place would be LB Lawrence Timmons who saw very little playing time with the Steelers.
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    What about JaMarcus Russell?

Holds out for a minimal difference (relatively speaking) and goes on to have a passer rating of 55.

Wouldn't say he's the MOST disappointing of the draft but has to be in the top 3.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B, I would have mentioned J Russell, but I think the minimal play he got this year was actually a good thing believe it or not. I hated how he held out for more money ( like you said-relativaly not much) I think the Raiders are being smart with this kid, getting him some reps here and there but not throwing him to the wolves by starting him every day and allowing him to take a back alley beating that might ruin his confidence..
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    It would have been more disappointing to see Oakland and Cleveland throw their qb's to the wolves. You can't realistically judge a qb after their rookie season, ask Troy and Peyton about that. image
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I believe Carr's career was ruined from starting day 1.

Either that or he just plain sucks.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Half of the first rounders were busts. They always are. Although it's hard to fairly judge players when they don't play either.

The Packers first round pick, DT Justin Harrell, must have played in only 3 or 4 games and maybe 50 snaps all year. The Packers didn't need him at all as they had a pretty deep D-line already. Wasted pick so far. He might develope down the road. Plus they could lose Corey Williams to free agency this off season. So having another big tackle on their team might turn out to be a smart drafting move afterall.
  • dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>Calvin Johnson perhaps? He really failed to live up to that #2 pick. >>

Calvin made a few amazing catches in the first couple weeks including the one that he injured his back on and basically missed 3-4 games after. He never looked completely healthy when he returned. He dropped a couple bunnies in the last few games which was discouraging. In the end, he still had a decent year for a rookie on a below average team which has quite a few options to throw to. Further, Martz said his conditioning wasn't up to what it needed to be early thus hitting the "rookie wall". Hopefully he'll become the player many anticipated he would, but with Detroit... it's doubtful.
  • Steelers Timmons did a decent job on special teams but they had no idea Harrison would have an all pro year ahead of him, in hindsight they should have drafted another position here instead. Granted he got outplayed my our second rounder LB Woodley.
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Half of the first rounders were busts. They always are. Although it's hard to fairly judge players when they don't play either.

The Packers first round pick, DT Justin Harrell, must have played in only 3 or 4 games and maybe 50 snaps all year. The Packers didn't need him at all as they had a pretty deep D-line already. Wasted pick so far. He might develope down the road. Plus they could lose Corey Williams to free agency this off season. So having another big tackle on their team might turn out to be a smart drafting move afterall. >>

wasted pick maybe from the start of the year. but now they have lost two of their starting DT to IR by the end of the year. he started the last two games. he will play much in the playoffs where hopefully the fresh legs will help out the line. on draft day there were lots of packer fans that wanted them to draft mecham instead!!!

i would have to vote for johnson. after all, all the experts had him picked as the next coming of jerry rice. quinn and russell just didnt play much which wasnt always their fault. that would be like saying rodgers was a wasted pick a few years ago for the pack. well he is sitting behind favre and wont play much. the best thing for quinn and russell was to sit most of the year.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's