Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

is this Munson legit? Need scan help please!

Happy New Year to all. Some of you may recall I am an avid Munson collector. Have been searching for a 71 PSA 9 for some time. Yet to find it, but found a GAI 9. I have several scans, but if anyone can help me post it, I would be glad to email it you. I am curious if folks think the pixel count is good as well as thoughts on re-coloring as the latter is quite hard for me to tell.

Thanks for insights and scannning help.

Steve
steve

Comments

• PM'd you my email, if you send me the pics I'll post them.

Wow, a 9, I can't wait to see it.

EDITED TO ADD SCANS: Wow again!!! Great looking card. I had to shrink em to 800 pixels, I think that's all we're allowed.

• Does anyonew have views on this card re TRIMMED or not? Thnaks again.

Steve
    steve
  • It looks like a strong 9 to me.

why do you have your suspicions??
  • That is one of GAI's newer slabs and I just wouldn't trust anything that was graded by them recently, but that is just my opinion.
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Who is the seller? Do they have 95% PSA cards? Ask them directly the story behind the holder.
  • Thanks for the comments:

The seller has 90% GAI cards and some raw, but few PSAs.

I explained to him my concerns (where did he get it, GAIs struggles, trimming, etc). He said he bought it GAI graded on eBay.....I am certain PSA would send it back as trimmed or colored -just a hunch. I can get this for $2250-2500. A PSA 9 of course if $5K--$8K or more. I asked him if he would refund my money if I sent it to PSA and it came back trimmed or re-colored - he said "not right now and that I may end up sending it to PSA myself".

Too risky to buy in my view -but tempting.....
    steve
  • The scans from the second card aren't the best.

imageimage

EDITED TO UPDATE SCAN: The card seems nice, centering on the back is out, not sure if it's within PSA 9 spec.

• In my honest opinion, I can't see why PSA wouldn't give that first card a 9.

Would GAI go so far as to custom make inserts to fit trimmed cards exactly? Probably not.

I guess I could post the scans as big as they were emailed to me, if anyone would like to see em just say so.

But this is a sweet looking card, one of the nicest I've seen.
  • I can't help it... here's the nearly full sized scan of the first card.
    I checked the negative image and the colors around the border look great.
    Did I say Wow???

• There is a reason the card is in a GAI holder... probably not a good one.
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    IMO I would not take the gamble. The card in a PSA slab is worth 6 to 8k you say? My question is why then is the seller willing to take 2-3k for it? That is a lot of dough to be leaving on the table. I had a 55 Spahn GAI 1st graded 7.5 (bought 3 yrs ago) that came back trimmed when i submitted it raw to PSA. The insert fit perfectly there too.

I just do not trust GAI, they let too many cards to get past them so they could build up a client list. All the .5 bumps were given to attract business too.

They may have had the best in the business grader but the cards i have seen looked far from it.

I guess it depends on how much of a gamble you are willing to take.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Thanks Steve and others. The 1st 71 posted I happen to think is legit. Either that, or a near perfect trimming job. That was flipped on me to another buyer for $2K a short while ago. I would have bought it.

The 2nd 71 posted here I am more suspicious of. This is based on the scan quality, plus the back may not be a 9 quality centering anyway. I am a little biased as I trust and know the 1st 71 seller pretty well and dont know the 2nd one at all. And Steve, as you say, it begs the question of why leave $5K or so on the table. Send it to PSA and have them leave it holdered it they wont call it a 9. If the seller offered me a refund, I would try it myself.

Thanks guys -my search continues.

Steve
    steve
    1 more thing, for a card to be a nine the reverse centering only has to be 90/10.

I learned that the hard way.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • I think Mike Baker has personally graded all cards with the new flip. Should be fine.
  • is there a way to contact Mike Baker?

Anyone know if PSA offers a "quick review" service like they do for auto's to tell if they think the card has been doctored? Is it worthit to have Joe Orlando to review? Would he?

steve
  • Beautiful card. Go for it if you need it for your collection. I have had good luck with GAI. They have had problems just as have PSA, BGS, and SGC with grading questionable card, but like all of the big 4 services you are better off going with one of their products then buying raw.

J
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

here ya go steve

G A I

"Man, if i did steroids, i would have had 5,000 hits!!" Pete Rose
    Steve Balco

I'm not sure that anyone could do a quick review via a scan with a card in a case.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • If I were looking for that card I would buy it .

Looks like a PSA 9 to me all day , I couldn't see that card comming back any lower than that .

Trimmed ?? I don't think so

Colored , I have no idea based ,on what I can see from the scan it looks beautiful even enhanced and blown up on my PC , looks fine .

Would you get the exact card would be the only thing I would worry about there .
  • bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    It certainly is a beauty! I would really be nervous cracking that card out and getting it into a card saver,Those black
    borders chip easily.