Home Sports Talk
Options

who is the NFL player who in your mind....

was the most UNDERATED or Under Performed in college,
but is a MAJOR STAR now in the NFL?

I mean, it is not cool to see a heisman winner from USC who went to a national level high school become a star
but take a kid from no where high, to some little directional school to become a walk on/free agent in the NFL
then BLOWS THE DOORS OFF!

I know that Kurt Warner has a story like this... but any others?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about Tom Brady?
  • Options

<< <i>How about Tom Brady? >>

6th round draft choice I believe. Who could have ever figured.......? Amazing story.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How about Tom Brady? >>

Michigan is such an unlikely place for a star to be born.

Tony Romo has a shot. How about Terrell Owens? Both were from D1-AA schools (as was Jerry Rice).

And no, I'm not a Cowboys fan, but these were the first two names to come to mind as D1-AA players no one had heard of in college becoming NFL stars.
  • Options
    Bart Starr .... Roll Tide!
    Collecting Dallas Cowboys Rookies and Team Sets 1960-1989
  • Options

<< <i>Tony Romo has a shot. How about Terrell Owens? Both were from D1-AA schools. >>

romo is a pretty good one. he did play d1-aa but was a superstar in that division. Terrell was less known in college

I was actually thinking about Brett Favre (little respect at Southern Miss, and even first year at Falcons)
    or
    Terry Bradshaw who played at a little school (Louisana Tech) then became pretty good in the pros.

others?
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Willie Parker

Never started in college, and was undrafted.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Kurt Warner was bagging groceries-----to------Super Bowl Winner. So unless anyone can claim better...............
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Kurt Warner was bagging groceries-----to------Super Bowl Winner. So unless anyone can claim better............... >>

He should go back to bagging groceries

• Options
    Brady, no question. Here's his scouting report:

<< <i> "Poor build, very skinny and narrow, lacks mobility and the ability to avoid the rush, lacks a really strong arm." >>

• Options
    OriolesOrioles Posts: 312 ✭✭✭
    Here are three of my favorites:

Antonio Gates - undrafted basketball player from Kent State
    Priest Holmes - undrafted running back from Texas (Ricky Williams got all the press there)
    Adam Vinatieri - undrafted from that powerhouse South Dakota State University
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>(Ricky Williams got all the press there) >>

What do you mean? Priest got a lot of love and was gone by the time Ricky really started to shine.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

OT- slightly, A friend of mine that is heavy into Dodger stuff has a scouting report sheet on Roberto Clemente. I'll paraphase what i remember seeing--- " Small frame, excellent speed, not much power, 60-80 rbi's max." A little off you think??
  • Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    How about Tom Brady?

Great answer !!!!
    Ok. I’m done reading old threads.
    Just wasted a day 😂

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• Options

@4for4 said:

@perkdog said:
    How about Tom Brady?

Great answer !!!!
    Ok. I’m done reading old threads.
    Just wasted a day 😂

The best part is I posted that and he lost the Super Bowl that year but went on to have a second half of his career that was HOF worthy as well

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

John Randle and Adam Thielen.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

I "liked" a 2007 post

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2023 3:39PM

@Alfonz24 said:
    I "liked" a 2007 post

If it was mine then Thanks bud 🍻