Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Nice new Proof from the UK

Check this one out folks, it sure is a beauty.... Wish the US mint would take some lessons from the UK mint as far as coins and website. Amazing how many more beautiful coins the darkside has!!! I believe it is TwoKopeiki's sig that says, "Come to the Darkside, we have cookies!" I love that saying!

Link

Todd

Comments

• Options
    The BRM isn't exactly "giving these away" at £40 for a .925 silver round. They need to embed a diamond or something in it...
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I don't want to be a party pooper, but I have to disagree (hey, it is a message board image )

I think the BRM is mass producing a lot of questionable material these days, including this piece (although this is not the worst they've done lately). They need to take some lessons from their own 19th century and early 20th work. Unfortunately, I think you-know-where will freeze over before that happens.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

I do like the geometric blast of the reverse, but the obverse? Even with some uninspiring subjects, it just yawns off the planchet IMHO....

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    You guys are crazy, when was the last time the US produced something that looked even close to this brilliant??? The silver eagles, give me a break...
    Todd
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    It might be brilliant, but the design bores me to tears. Even more so at $100 a throw...
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    I didn't know Jimmy Durante was British....
  • Options
    Actually 69 bucks, of course add shipping...
    Todd
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    You guys are crazy, when was the last time the US produced something that looked even close to this brilliant??? The silver eagles, give me a break...

The US Mint doesn't have anything of interest whatsoever to me. That said, there is precious little that the BRM has done since 1953 that is of much interest either.

Tell me that this modern design you linked is superior to the Gothic crown, the Gothic florin, the 1860's bronze reverses, the copper series or even the Victorian sixpences for that matter and I'll tell you who is crazy. image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    I'm not saying it compares to the older stuff, shoot you put a early 1900's 5 mark in front of me and I drool... I love the older coins much more so than the newer ones. I was comparing the new stuff to the new stuff. Take for instance our American Silver Eagles, UGLY AS ALL GET OUT and look like the same old coins as back in the day.... Now when I looked at the Silver Britannia from the UK i was hooked on their newer stuff as oppossed to the US stuff. Now I like this coin, others may not, and I respect that opinion. To me it's beautiful, to some it's boring... so be it... HOWEVER, it is butt ugly compared to the older coins of Europe, so with that I'll agree with you.
    Todd
  • Options
    Not a bad looking "coin" and one if the price were right, I wouldn't hesitate to add to my little hoard of things I like but don't really collect! I have more than a few coins from the island across the pond just because I like the looks of many of them... (I have now offended a couple of people who reside there (Sorry)! I guess it is all in appearance. What may turn my head may be a dismal failure as far as the locals... Take for example the Wyoming quarter... To me that pretty much sucks, but to someone from a different country who pictures the old west in America, It may have an eye appeal that just begs to be bought! (Even if I think it should trade for less than face value)... How about the Utah quarter? If you are a train freak like me, it is a classic collectible. They both spend the same, but as a collector there is no doubt which one is worth more to me...

Just my "2 bits" worth...

Happy New Year!

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...