Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Should I remove from holder

My husband has a set called 20th Century type coins. It is a compete set from the Indian cent to the Kennedy Silver dollar. The set does not appear to be airtight and the coins are beautiful. below is a list of the coins.
Indian 1900
Lincoln 1957
Lincoln Shell case 1945
Lincoln Wartime Steel 1943
Lincoln Memorial 1964
Liberty nickel 1900
Buffalo 1938 (with an F under date)
Jefferson 1964
Jefferson wartime Silver 1945
Barber dime 1916
Mercury dime 1944
Roosevelt 1964
Roosevelt 1965
Barber quarter 1915
Standing liberty 1920
Washington 1964
Washington 1965
Barber half 1912
Liberty walking 1946
Franklin 1963
Kennedy 1964
Kennedy 1965
Morgan 1899O
Peace dollar 1923
My question is should I remove them from this plastic holder and put them in flips, or should I send the complete set to PCGS for grading?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Flips
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure they are non-PVC flips.
    Doug
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Queensandy,

I have 3 suggestions...

1) Take pictures...the better the pictures (and post them for folks on the forum to see them) the better the responses on what to do (ie....if not worth grading, it may be evident and folks can save you money)
    2) Post on the US Coin Forum instead of the PCGS Set Registry Forum (more of a crowd there and more of a broad scope)
    3) Most things are likely to NOT be worth slabbing unless (a) somewhat rare (b) somewhat in demand (c) of a higher grade if not the previous

Good luck

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    What type of plastic holder are they in, and why are considering removing them from the holder?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

It is a display case. I don't thuink it is airtight. The coins seem to be moving. Does not fit tight.
    THanks
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Sandy,

You definitely want to either take pictures of the coins and post them here OR have someone local take a look at the coins BEFORE you spend the money to send them in and get them graded at PCGS.

The question you should ask yourself is... why didn't your husband already get the coins graded at PCGS? Are they worth the expense of getting them graded? I have many raw coins I bought for cheap money, knowing they would appreciate in price over the years... the cost of getting them graded, at this point, would be too much.

As for your list of coins, I can tell you unless the 64 Jefferson is extremely high grade or a MS65 full steps or better, I wouldn't get it slabbed.

Secondly, the 1945 Silver Jefferson needs more information... what is the mint mark on the reverse? A Large P, D, or S should be just above the dome of monticello... which one is it? If the mintmark is a P, there is always a possibility, the coin could be doubled die reverse... then, if the coin was a MS63 or higher, I'd probably get it graded. Otherwise, the coin should be at a minimum of a MS67 without steps or a MS65-6 with steps.

You can see MS66 & MS67 coins HERE for comparison. They aren't the best pictures, since I took most of them, but it might help you to look through the registry sets looking at coin pictures to tell if you have coins that might make the grade.

I hope this helps!

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    oxy8890oxy8890 Posts: 1,416

<< <i>Queensandy,

I have 3 suggestions...

1) Take pictures...the better the pictures (and post them for folks on the forum to see them) the better the responses on what to do (ie....if not worth grading, it may be evident and folks can save you money)
    2) Post on the US Coin Forum instead of the PCGS Set Registry Forum (more of a crowd there and more of a broad scope)
    3) Most things are likely to NOT be worth slabbing unless (a) somewhat rare (b) somewhat in demand (c) of a higher grade if not the previous

Good luck >>

This is very good advice. No need to send to PCGS if these are lower grades. But if these are nice Uncs, it would be well worth it.

Good Luck.
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options
    Seems like the coins from the 20's and earlier are worth grading if they are choice BU and the others must be in "superb gem" condition to be worthwhile grading. Good luck!