Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Jefferson Nickel "Complete Varieties" Additions

Does anyone have any updates or information from PCGS around adding additional varieties to the Jefferson Nickel Sets? I noticed that in the Lincolns, there are now sets listed that include "Complete Varieties" in addition to the regualr sets that include "Major Varieties". It appears the varieties being added are from the Cherry Pickers Guide. I did notice this in any of the other denominations.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen it yet, but did get the email asking what I thought they should do.

It should be any day. I've noticed more of the mint state coins are starting to be listed... some with extremely high prices. The satin finish coins are still selling though.

Peace,

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    I'm also hoping for some news soon. I have been keeping track of the Cherrypicker varieities and PCGS has coin #s for at least 23 of the 35 Jefferson varieities.

I have been debating whether I will send my Cherrypickers varieties in for crossover. Most are in either ANACS, SEGS or NGC holders. At a cost of $18 - 30 per coin plus the $15 variety fee it would easily cost over $1300 for certification and shipping to have all the Cherrypicker varieties certified.

Many of these coins have a market value of a few hundred $ -certifying them at a minimum cost of $33 per coin just may not make sense (to me).

Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    CasabrownCasabrown Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭
    I also noticed that there is a Kennedy Complete set and wonder why there is not the same for Jeffersons and Roosevelts.

Casabrown
  • Options

<< <i>I also noticed that there is a Kennedy Complete set and wonder why there is not the same for Jeffersons and Roosevelts.

Casabrown >>

Maybe because the Kennedy is a better looking coin?image
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    PCGS is working through all of the sets.
    Once they are up, then you guys can flag PCGS on all of the varieties that might not get listed.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I also noticed that there is a Kennedy Complete set and wonder why there is not the same for Jeffersons and Roosevelts. >>

Dr. Brown.. Congrats on the write up in Rare Coin Mkt Report, interesting reading about yourself and your coins. And a salute to the "soon to be" #1 spot holder in clad dimes. image
    Dan
  • Options
    What is the story? I think I fell out of the loop? hopefully PCGS will recognice true MS coins vs. the Satin finish stuff.
  • Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    Frank,
    Sure it will cost a few bucks to certify these additional coins, but there really shouldn't be too many. If you stick with the Business Strike coins, you probably already have 9 of the 23 Cherry Pickers (I'm excluding the 1954-D/S, FS#32.9). These 9 are the Major Varieties already included in the Registry. I've picked up a few of the other ones over the years: 1939 DDR2, 1941-S Large S, both 1942 DDOs, the other 2 1945-P DDRs. I'm down to a several to obtain and several others to get designation on the holder. I agree, if you were starting with all raw coins, then certifying them all carries a hefty price. Think about it this way, even if several will only be worth a couple hundred bucks, I see quite a few regular business strike coins graded MS66 and even MS67 for the same couple hundred bucks. We all have these in our sets! For me, it's the hunt to find them all, unfortunately, I'll have to buy some and Cherry the rest!
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike

I have been trying to complete a Cherrypicker's nickel set for a few years. Out of the 36 listed I need 7 more. Most of these are in slabs already - some PCGS most not. I actually have two FS 32.9. I am familiar with the controversy if these are really overdates. See you at the FUN show.

Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

• Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how many folks received this message from PCGS:

"The majority has decided that both the satin finish and circulation strikes should be required in the major variety set. We will be updating the set soon.
    Additionally, the complete variety set composite is nearly ready to load. You should see it go live in the next 1-2 weeks."

I can't wait to see what varieties get added to the "Complete" variety set!!!

Dowgie
  • Options
    Yeap... wondering what the complete set is going to consist of.

Steve

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598
    I noticed the "classic set" of Jefferson nickels was posted in the Registry the other day, it only includes the 1954-S/D and 1955- D/S as varieties. I hope when and "if" PCGS ever makes a "classic set" of varieties for the Kennedy series, they have more then just two coins more then the "basic set" image
  • Options
    larrynjlarrynj Posts: 535

<< <i>I noticed the "classic set" of Jefferson nickels was posted in the Registry the other day, it only includes the 1954-S/D and 1955- D/S as varieties. I hope when and "if" PCGS ever makes a "classic set" of varieties for the Kennedy series, they have more then just two coins more then the "basic set" image >>

this will cost pcgs some free gradings for sets over 90% complete. it took me about 2 minutes to load my set from my inventory, and i'm going to e-mail my request for same on monday.
  • Options
    The Jefferson "major varieties" now include satin and business strikes. FYI - I was not able to add the new business strikes yet.

• Options

<< <i>The Jefferson "major varieties" now include satin and business strikes. >>

I guess it's too bad they still won't add some of the other varieties. I did ask the question why PCGS won't make a Top 100 variety set off the CONECA site.

Steve

• Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I have the 06 business strikes. If any one needs them let me know. I went after them with a vengence for my sons set. I made a good percentage of the top pops. BTW - I have 2 MS66FS 02-D's plus an MS66 02-D for sale.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see the satin finish coins are still allowed in the non-variety sets. Why did they screw up the state quarter sets and not this one?
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the story? I think I fell out of the loop? hopefully PCGS will recognice true MS coins vs. the Satin finish stuff. >>

I have asked for this a couple times in the last year or so. So far no luck.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! What a change in the Jefferson nickel registry sets! At first, I thought everybody had upgraded but upon a closer look through each set, not everyone has those newly added business strike coins yet.

Here's a red flag for everyone! There are some questionable business strikes (BS) labeled coins that are actually satin finish (SF) strikes! That there have been several submissions of business strike (BS) coins coming back labeled as satin finish (SF) graded coins. And vice versa; satin finsh (SF) coins labeled as business strikes (BS).

OK, I've dropped the bomb but I'm not pointing any fingers this time! image Again, I'd like to believe that we're all responsible gentlemen and that it's just a matter of a little education or the lack-their-of that's causing the problem.

Bottom line: whether you're having doubts or not, from a financial point of view, you might want to have your BS coins verified by 2-3 other knowledgeable collectors at a coin show that your coins are actually BS coins. Satin finish coins receiving business strike labels are easily recognized when we're seeing MS67 to MS69 certified BS coins in the pops. There's a major difference between a coin with satin finish surfaces and business strike surfaces.

The problem arises when it comes time to sell your collection and those BS labeled coins are recognized by knowledgeable collectors as SF strikes and of course, there's the monetary value that the collector may suffer if he/she doesn't catch the problem early-on from get-go......this will also help keep the pops accurate. And the most important reason to have your coins verified, as a true coin collector, that person would want to know whether or not he/she is collecting the right coins and only the best in quality in strike, grade/condition and eye appeal. That business strikes do not have satin finish surfaces!
    Also please take note that satin finish coins are turning up in rolls and bags but as a true coin collector, you don't want to have satin finish
    struck coins listed in the business strike catagories!

Regards, Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection