Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Poll: Please choose "Camera A" or "Camera B"

One of the two sets of pictures here was taken with a new camera. Please evaluate these similarly sized pictures and vote (and explain why if time permits). I will reveal which camera is which later. Thanks!

By the way, this coin ranks as my best purchase of 2007 and you've probably seen it here on the BST. Its prior owner sure takes a better picture...

Camera A:

Camera B:
Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

Comments

• farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Voted Camera B - Looks more like a silver coin! The photos from Camera A look too green on my screen.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    B has more depth.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • B - the blue toning is much more visible and attractive.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted B as well.
  • B for me, too.
    A looks as though it took a hit with too much flash.
    I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B... terrific coin Wybrit and the images are nice too

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Unanimous so far. B is just plain "crisper" and more like looking at a coin instead of a picture of a coin.
    Roy

• cachemancacheman Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    "B" You might want to do a little bit of post processing with a sharpness filter to remove the last bit of Gaussian blur that still exists...Google the freeware "Irfanview". Of course, this blur won't be as evident if you normally use a smaller sized .jpeg. Nice pics though....both of them. image

software spelling corrected
  • BBBBBBBBBBBBB
    The glass is half full!
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    B
    I have to wonder if Tom's silence indicates that his new spendy camera was shot "A"...image

• << <i>I have to wonder if Tom's silence indicates that his new spendy camera was shot "A". >>

I'm also curious about what other differences - lighting, shutter speed, film, lens aperture, etc. - exist between the two sets of photos.
    Roy

• << <i>I have to wonder if Tom's silence indicates that his new spendy camera was shot "A"...image >>

And this coming from a guy that still uses a scanner!!!!!!image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    I have to wonder if Tom's silence indicates that his new spendy camera was shot "A"... image

Actually, my silence comes from having a busy Sunday.

However, part of that time spent was...returning Camera "A" to the store. I was very disappointed that so many advances in technology have been made since my junky Olympus D-590 Zoom (Camera "B") was purchased, and yet no real improvement in shot quality shows for it.

Camera "A" was a Canon SD-750. It was nice and compact and had a lot of cool features but the macro capability, autofocus and color correction left a lot to be desired. I'll be trying another new camera soon - watch this board!

Thanks for the comments too.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • In the early '50s I was pretty deep into photography (good old B&W of course), and I've never forgotten the article in one of the photo magazines that pretty conclusively proved (to me at least) that the quality of the picture is a result of the photographer's skill far more than the equipment used.

They equipped a half dozen top notch pros with box Brownies, and a half dozen amateurs with Leicas and Hasselblads (then just about the top camera makes); and gave all of them the same assignments. The amateurs film was professionally developed and printed.

The quality of the pros' shots was so far superior to that of the amateurs that it was almost unbelievable!

For the benefit of the majority of forum members, who don't remember the box Brownie, it was a camera with a fixed focus, and non-adjustable lens, using old-style roll film. The Leicas were 35mm and as I recall the Hasselblads used cut film, and all had fully adjustable apertures and focal lengths.
    Roy

<< <i>

<< <i>I have to wonder if Tom's silence indicates that his new spendy camera was shot "A"...image >>

And this coming from a guy that still uses a scanner!!!!!!image >>

scanner? SCANNER????? I doane use no stinkin' SCANNER!! image
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B captures the real coin. A makes the coin seem drab.
    However perhaps you can make ajustments to the A camera which will give a better picture.
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is from a Canon G9. It was almost taken back also. Kept playing around and then things got better.

imageimage

Happy New Year.

Ken
  • There's just no way for A to compete against B image

~