Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Monaco, San Marino, and Vatican Mint/Proof Sets

I would like to start accumulating new issues directly from these mints. I understand that getting on the mailing lists to be allowed to purchase from these mints directly is not an easy task. I have searched all over on Google and have not found much information. Does anyone here have any insight into this? Addresses to write to? Email addresses or web sites? Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I was on the San Marino mailing list for several years. As I remember I went through a web site. I may still have information around here. San Marino mainly pushed stamps in their mailings but also included coins. I picked up my San Marino 2002 Euro mint set from them for about $15 - I should have ordered 2 sets! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Found the link to the San Marino web site, first I had to find the mint set - which I haven't seen around here for several years. It gave me the key words to Google for:

Link
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    Thanks. I signed up for the San Marino mailing list. Now if I can just find out information on the other two that would be awesome.
  • Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    Ok, San Marino is done. You will get their information about new issues and order forms.
    Three years ago it wasn't that "easy" to get in their mailing list. image

Now for the hard ones:

MONACO

Send a letter in English, or French to:

Musée des Timbres et des Monnaies
    Terrasses de Fontvieille
    98000 Monaco
    MONACO

You'll probably get a nasty letter, like the following, if at all:

Dear Collector,

The Stamp and Coin Museum acknowledges receipt of your inquiry for a set of Euro coins
    issued by the Principality of Monaco.

Please take notice that the circulation coins are officially distributed by the State Treasury
    mainly to the banks established in the Principality, and as cash change for commercial
    centers, but not available for individuals collectors or for dealers.

The mintage-quota of the Principality of Monaco is linked to the quantity minted by France.
    The high interest for the European coinage has favored a speculation due to a demand
    exceeding by far what can be supplied ; we can only deplore this situation.

.....bla blah bla

MTM really sucks lately. image The last time I got something from Monaco was in 2004.
    It was a Proof Mint Set (15.000 mintage) of which 5000 were drawn by lot to customers
    on their mailing list (that means if one was drawn, like me, one had the pleasure to
    purchase a set for 200 Euro) a few thousand sets were sold through MdP in Paris for
    300 Euro a set, and the rest went to coin dealers.

Their latest issue, a 2 Euro commem with a mintage of 20.000, depicting Gracia Patricia
    was not distributed by MTM except of a very small percentage which was available to
    visitors of a museum in Monaco at the price of 100 Euro!
    The rest was sold the a few Monacan or French coin dealers for (rumors say) about 60 Euro
    a piece. From that point on they went to other dealers and everyone in the chain kept their
    share. Ebay auctions close at 340 - 360 Euro for that (IMHO) ugly coin. Go figure!

However, when you get an answer from MTM in Monaco, you are in their mailing list and with
    a bit of luck you will receive an order form or, ... um ....whatever.
    Don’t forget to tell them your complete address!

You can also try this procedure by email:

mailto: mtm@gouv.mc

VATICAN

I have no idea if they'll accept new customers at the moment. It took me 2 years to get in
    their list and it only worked with a trick.

Send a letter in italian or english to:

Ufficio Filatelico e Numismatico
    Governatorato
    00120 Citta' del Vaticano
    VATICAN

You can also try by email:

mailto:ufn@scv.va

Compared to the situation a few years ago, you shold receive an answer from them in these
    days, If you're lucky you'll be in their list. If it didn't work, get back to me and ask for the trick. image

Udo
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thank you so much Udo. I will follow your advice exactly. I appreciate all of the effort you put into finding this information for me. Many thanks again.