Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Two hot MPL's in the upcoming heritage auction>

1909 VDB PCGS PR64BN is at $17,825!!

1916 PCGS PR66RB is at $13,800!! image
Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.

Comments

• wow, i like the way the 16's are going.

i dont like the way the 09vdb is though. to much for my blood.
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Just another observation on the 1909VDB Matte Proof Lincoln cent which, in my opinion, distiguishes it from the other eight Lincoln cent matte proof coins. The coin up for auction at FUN is obviously NOT a choice example of the 1909VDB. So why is it being bid up so much? It is being bid up, in my opinion, because those collectors who have wanted one for so long have realized that most likely over 90% of the maybe 200 that exist are in the hands of other Lincoln cent collectors WHO WANT TO KEEP THIS COIN IN THEIR COLLECTION for many years. These bidders realize that a 1909VDB does not come to market more than two or three times a year. If they REALLY want one they had better go after it now and unlike other coins they might go after, THIS coin dies not have to be the most beautiful around. It just has to be the real thing. (ie) diagnostics; because in their experience, over the past number of years, the price to aquire one has gone up each time it comes on the market. The situation is different for other Matte proof Lincolns. Key dealers can aquire and deal in the other eight Mattes periodically, and for a reasonable price these coins will trade.

Brian, I would appreciate your opinion of my observation concerning the 1909VDB vrs the other eight Mattes. Thanks. Steveimage
  • BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just another observation on the 1909VDB Matte Proof Lincoln cent which, in my opinion, distiguishes it from the other eight Lincoln cent matte proof coins. The coin up for auction at FUN is obviously NOT a choice example of the 1909VDB. So why is it being bid up so much? It is being bid up, in my opinion, because those collectors who have wanted one for so long have realized that most likely over 90% of the maybe 200 that exist are in the hands of other Lincoln cent collectors WHO WANT TO KEEP THIS COIN IN THEIR COLLECTION for many years. These bidders realize that a 1909VDB does not come to market more than two or three times a year. If they REALLY want one they had better go after it now and unlike other coins they might go after, THIS coin dies not have to be the most beautiful around. It just has to be the real thing. (ie) diagnostics; because in their experience, over the past number of years, the price to aquire one has gone up each time it comes on the market. The situation is different for other Matte proof Lincolns. Key dealers can aquire and deal in the other eight Mattes periodically, and for a reasonable price these coins will trade.

Brian, I would appreciate your opinion of my observation concerning the 1909VDB vrs the other eight Mattes. Thanks. Steveimage >>

Well said Steve, I totally agree with your observation.

Edited to add: We might want to take a closer look at the word "reasonable price" for the other 8 dates?image
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Wow, now I see why the price is what it is. See I thought because of the spots it would lag in price.But I understand now why that isnt so. Thank you for clearing that up for me. It does make sense from that point of view.

adam
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Adam, I made that observation with you in mind. Brian, "reasonable" price has been going up lately for obvious reasons. The Mattes are HOT. It will be interesting to see how they respond in the next coin cycle. Steveimage
  • Thanks Steve. It did bring up a good point. The one thing my dad said that always sticks out is for some reason he always saw the mattes for more than what most do. Granted I would like to make money when I sell , the mattes are something he never did but always wanted to. I just hope my set is nice when its done. So far with the help of you guys its looking nice so far.

I think like everything else they will settle down and still be pretty high by todays prices. I dont think they will drop like some do after a surge.

Just a question for some of you veterans in the mattes, is right now a bad time to be buying them?

Thanks again for the help fellas.

Adam