Home U.S. Coin Forum

Did the US Mint really strike 60,000 $50 Platinum Coins for the 10th Series?

I don't want a Poll, I want some opinions.

30K for the Proof
30K for the Reverse Proof = 60K Coins

The ENTIRE 2007 W Proof Platinum 4 denomination coin Series is AUTHORIZED at only 66K Coins!

$100 - 6K + 10K for sets = 16K
$ 50 - 5K + 10K for sets = 15K
$ 25 - 5K + 10K for sets = 15K
$ 10 - 10K + 10K for sets = 20K

Again, I am astounded if it is really true and that they would or could do a 30K Set offering w/ Platinum!

Comments

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope not. Even 40,000 coins would be more than enough for the near future and would place the 20,000 Mintage Rev Proof in 43th (highest) place out of the 45 Proof Plats in terms of ranking of mintages (45th place would be the companion regular issue 07 $50 of course).

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • I really don't think they did, especially when they released them so late in the year.
    I was wondering if they would stop selling them December 31st and surprise everyone. Does anyone think they might do it?
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they actually stop selling these coins before a sellout and without dropping the household limit of (1) per address, then the Mint will have begun to operate under a whole new paradigm. The probability of this is about 0.01%, in my best estimation.

They had to have a reason that they publicized a 30,000 mintage with a household limit of (1). These two things seem to be completely counter to each other, so that tells me that the Mint actually thinks that they can sell out 30,000 sets. Thus, I think that they are prepared to make all 60,000 coins, even if they haven't already done so.

I didn't say that I thought it was rational, I only said that I thought they think that they can sell them all. I don't agree with their methods, in either event.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    I was told back when I wrote a earlier thread that someone at the mint told me, higher up that is, the last day for purchase would be 12/31/07. So this set might be a winner in long term. I bet there might only be 16,000 sold entirely. Platinum is going up daily in spot and it would surprize me that plat coins cost more in 2008. Hope my news was right.
  • someone at the mint told me, higher up that is, the last day for purchase would be 12/31/07

Whelp, we will know in a few days.

• << <i>someone at the mint told me, higher up that is, the last day for purchase would be 12/31/07 >>

There was a thread a few months ago with a "higher up" at the Mint saying that there would not be a set at all. I'd take anything the Mint says with a grain of salt.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    We couldn't be that lucky to have the mint stop selling these things.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Well - they sold 2001 Kennedy Rolls right on thru 2005.
  • Why did they sell them so late in the year with a one set limit if they had 30,000? They also have been crazy about cross-checking to try to make sure everyone just got one set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file