Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Accumulation of Canadian Proofs

My mother-in-law recently brought me a box of Canadian coins she found while cleaning her house. My father-in-law passed away over 5 years ago and she's still finding coins hidden in various spots. I've already sold over $10,000 worth of US coins for her, but really don't know much about Canadian coins. The box contains - 14 Proof sets dated 1972-1987 (in original RCM packaging), 39 proof-like sets dated 1962-1980 (pliofilm flat packs), 27 proof commemorative dollars dated 1970-1990, 3 1967 centennial sets in custom commemmoritive cardboard holders (all toned), and 5 rolls of assorted circulated nickels (1920-1970).

I have a couple of questions that I could use some help with.

One, how do you tell a proof commemorative dollar from an UNC? Krause lists some of these - 1970 Manitoba, 1971 British Columbia etcetera without prices for the proofs. The coins are in the original mint packaging and appear to be proofs, but there is no labeling as such.

Two, is the 1974 7-piece proof set really worth $150? Or is that a typo in the book?

Third, do have any recommendations regarding who buys this sort of material?

Thanks.

This space intentionally left blank.

Comments

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    I recommend that you purchase a copy of Canadian Coin News. They have the most current retail pricing for these. Many years come with varieties that impact pricing. In general here is the pricing in Canadian dollars for the most common variety of each year. All prices in Canadian dollars.

Year.........................PL Set.......................Proof, Prestige, or Dble $$ Sets............................Dble Cent & Specimen Sets
    1962........................$25
    1967..........................19..............................................$410 (with Gold Piece).....................................$..35
    1970............................6.......................................................................................................................$700
    1971............................5..................................................20.......................................................................4
    1972............................5..................................................35.......................................................................4
    1973............................6..................................................24.......................................................................6
    1974............................5..................................................18.......................................................................4
    1975............................5..................................................18.......................................................................4
    1976............................5..................................................18.......................................................................4
    1977............................5..................................................18.......................................................................4
    1978............................5..................................................18.......................................................................4
    1979............................5..................................................18.......................................................................5
    1980............................8..................................................30.......................................................................6

Thia will give you an idea. Again, many years have scarcer varieties, so it may pay to have somebody knowledgable that you trust look at them.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com