Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help with Denmark I.D.

Krause does not seem to identify this particular coin. Best I can determine (which is quite obvious) it is Denmark 1767, 12 skilling. The odd thing about this is that the back is completely blank. Not worn down or even ground down; it is just blank. Any ideas? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Try Danish West Indies KM-12.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    Thank you for the help. I see my error.

So, based on the pictures, the flat other side of the coin is not how it was issued. There was an obverse design at one time. It is very, very smooth with no signs of ever having a design or having been tampered with. Could this be a possible mis-strike or some other type of error?

Still a neat, old coin, but with little value it appears.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's probably just got some freakishly uneven wear on it, or perhaps the other side was deliberately planed off in preparation for a love token that never got engraved. If it got planed off and they never engraved it, but instead the coin ended up back in circulation for a while, then the resulting wear could've concealed any tooling marks from where it got ground down.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.