Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

The Chinese Seller "Is it real or is it fake?" Thread

I thought it would be interesting to post links to auctions from Chinese sellers and comment on their offerings. image

Please add to this thread as you find others that amuse you or raise an eyebrow.

I love the private bidder auctions. Can you say "shill bidding"?
Argentina 1813 8R
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    I've also started seeing a lot of "suspect" coins from the Phllipines being listed on ebay. Just amazing how one person in the Phillipines could come across a "rare" horde of silver coins... (one's like the chinese list)...I mean it's possible but I wouldn't take my chances. Just me.
    I have had great success with the German, Israeli, Swedish, English, Hungarian, Russian, and Polish sellers. No complaints from me on them!
    Todd
  • JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    OK.

eBay Link Chinese Seller, Real or Fake?

Real or Fake?

Click here for the answer

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

This could start getting ugly...
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argentinian is a definite counterfeit. There's some uneven dentils (check-out above IBE in Libertad). Also, based on the way the rim looks - it appears that the edge design was applied after striking the coin. I'm sure someone that knows the series can also point-out some other design element flaws.
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    JZ, I think I saw the coin you referenced discussed somewhere else as having been placed in a counterfeit slab. Could be the lettering on the label is not right...?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

<< <i>JZ, I think I saw the coin you referenced discussed somewhere else as having been placed in a counterfeit slab. Could be the lettering on the label is not right...? >>

Yes, the coin and the Slab are Fake.

Compare both coins from the eBay picture and the Heritage picture.
    The slab lettering, however, is scary close to looking correct...

Bad.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a modern re-strike that is being advertised as authentic:

Link

I've e-mailed the seller, pointing out the obvious collar-struck rim and received the following response:

<< <i>
    Thank you for the information. I am not a coin collector therefore I would not have known the difference. I am a small time home based Ebay listing service and am selling these coins for a friend who is also not a collector. He inherited them from his father in 1979.

Have a good day,
    Denny
    >>

He hasn't change the description, so I guess he's pleading ignorance.