Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Seeking opinions on a couple DDO variety Kennedy halves. Warning a couple large photos.

I just got my grades back today and only sent them for grading and I plan on sending a group back for the Var after the New Year. I had the coins True View'd while they were there image

I viewed them before shipment to PCGS and based on compairing them to the Cherry Pickers guide I felt they were FS-50-1964D-108. I purchased Three coins at the same time and the 3rd one was sent to NGC early last year and resides in an MS66 holder. The other two coins are what I am comparing right now and noticed (to me anyway) that they appear to be different. Looking at the 2 photos below you will see that the coins look identical and appear to have been struck by the same die. When looking at the photos you will see that they both exibit the same die polish marks in the same places.

Looking closer at the "U" in the motto "We Trust" in the larger photos Cert# 12205042 appears to me as the coin depicted in the CP guide, yet the cert# 12205043 appears to be different and almost appearing to be triple struck. Could this coin be an earlier or later die state than the other coin I have and the one pictured in the CP guide?

Let me know what you folks think.

Cert# 12205042

Cert# 12205043

Comments