Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

archeaology proves my coin theory!!

A couple of years ago I wrote a piece where I suggested that the mid-16th century French douzain could be the first coin of the first significant European settlement in the United States: Fort Caroline. Yes, St Augustine is actually the first permanent European settlement, but Fort Caroline preceeded it by a year, and unlike earlier European attempts to settle Florida, Fort Caroline was built to last-- but the Spanish wiped it out in an attack. ANYWAY, I didn't know of any coins found that had any connection to Fort Caroline, but I figured if they WERE in the ground, they would be mid-1500's douzains. Lo and behold, I saw THIS website today:

http://www.nps.gov/archeology/sites/npSites/canaveral.htm

Don't I at least get free tickets to Disney World for this?!

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    info in question

Thanks for the look. Nice sleuthing! image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Thanks for the link. Having grown up in Jacksonville, I've been to the Fort Caroline site many times and this really hits home for me. Fascinating piece re the earliest American history.

David
    Lover of the mutant Buffalo.

Kaleidoscope Coins
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting-looking link. I have not yet read the whole thing, but it looks fascinating.

I remember reading about Charlesfort, at what is now Parris Island, SC, where the Marines train.

I had visions of ecus d'or when reading about it. Maybe one was actually found there- I forget.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.