Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Correct AirTite for Crowns?

I've got some British crowns I'd like to stick in AirTites, but I'm not sure which size will accommodate their thickness. I prefer the direct-fit type of AirTites. Anyone know the right size to buy?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Measure the coin's diameter in millimeters. If you can't find a mm ruler, just remember that one inch is 25.4mm, and compute it out.
    Roy

• Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    I can get the diameter, it's the thickness of the coin that's the problem. Do AirTites come thicker?
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Yes, Airtites are also made for thicker coins - look for model X at JP Corner's page.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Direct Fit? H-39 should work. Pre-decimal crowns should be 39mm in diameter. Standard British crowns do not have a thickness problem as far as the standard AirTites are concerned. Your crowns could rattle a bit in a direct fit depending on the tolerances. I use a 38 or 39 with the white foam ring which grips the crown and keeps it from rattling.
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    Great - thanks! I don't know what I was doing to get the airtite not to fit properly. Maybe I had a dollar sized bottom get into my larger ones and I didn't see the coin wasn't sitting properly.