Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

KM#725 or KM#739

How do you distinguish between a Farthing and a Penny? This coin is about 22 cm. The date is 1849. I just bought the Krause World Coins book 1801-1900, but both these coins look similar and the book does not state the size on either of these coins. It has crust/dirt/verdigris around the rim , but looks like it may come off. What is the best way to remove the dirt ? What do you think this coin grades ? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    Dawg144Dawg144 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭
    If you mean 22 mm (image), then it's a farthing. A penny is 34 mm in diameter.
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    The pictures in your Krause should be the correct size of the coin described. When in doubt just lay the coin on top of the picture on the page.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options

<< <i>The pictures in your Krause should be the correct size of the coin described. >>

For the occasional coin too large for a life-size picture, they specify that it is not actual size and what the size would be.
    Roy

• Options

<< <i>If you mean 22 mm (), then it's a farthing. A penny is 34 mm in diameter. >>

Yes , Thats right 22 mm. Duh.....image

<< <i>The pictures in your Krause should be the correct size of the coin described. When in doubt just lay the coin on top of the picture on the page. >>

That is real cool. I was'nt aware of that.
    Thank's . I appreciate you putting up with my newbie-ness. I'm just getting into World Coinage and love it already. Got a bunch of World coins in a bag some time ago and finally bought a book to see if anything I had was worth much.