Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Fake NGC Slab?

Is this a fake NGC Slab?

There is no way that the coin in this slab is MS62.

Maybe just a bad picture?

Maybe a fake slab?

Stinky LINKY

Comments

• Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Now do the grading companies take into consideration the minting processes of the time? Of course a coin from that year would not look like a coin from 2007. It appears to be a decent coin for the year it was made. If they take the age, minting, and type coin into consideration it may grade that...who knows, I know I don't..just trying to provoke thought! I did look at his negative feedback and it appears that 8 negs came from one person and it appears they were at fault for non-payment. Seems legite but that's just my two cents worth...
    Todd
  • Options
    MeijiMeiji Posts: 170 ✭✭
    Well yes, Reales are notorious for the weak strike, but I've never seen one in a MS62 slab in such a poor condition.
    I've seen some weak strikes in a AU50 slab, but MS62 should not be this poor, splochy, dinged up.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't look to be a fake coin, itself. I'll vote for an extremely poor scan that's unable to pick-up luster. Most likely a weakly-struck MS that looks better in-hand.
  • Options
    Thanks for the assurance Roman, I guess I'm just paranoid because of all the fake slabs coming out of CHina. image
  • Options
    I knew it looked familiar - here is the auction for the same coin sold on the 20th:

eBay Linky
  • Options
    wow that's some fast shipping and flipping. What's going on here? lol
  • Options
    Zeela is probably another ID of weimar-coins, I would guess. You can always message the seller to confirm, since now you have grounds to suspect foul play.
  • Options
    Looking at the feedback, Zeela is definitely a buyer account.
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    I'd be curious to see if any of his auctions were bidded up by his other account..
    Todd
  • Options
    jcpjcp Posts: 62 ✭✭
    I cehcked and verified that the cert number matches up with the date and grade
  • Options
    I don't know whether or not the seller is on the level; however, I note he does not leave feedback until the buyer has left feedback for him. Because so many sellers on ebay use such as a tactic to hold feedback hostage, so they can retaliate if negative feedback is left for them, I find his feedback rating to be suspect at the very least.

For the record, I will leave negative feedback if warranted, even if the seller is of the sort to retaliate; hence the negative feedback I have myself received under ebay id sdbranum.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought this from the same seller earlier in the month and the outcome was fine in my opinion. I guess it all depends on the coin and the circumstances.

ebay auction
  • Options
    My brother have purchased from that seller without any issues, as well.

IloiloKano - as a seller I do the same thing. I.e. I wait until the buyer received the coin (based on my tracking information) and contacted me that the item is as described and they are satisfied with the transaction. Often the buyer would not contact me, in which case I would send them a message, saying that my tracking information shows delivery and that I will wait 7 days (return period) before assuming that the transaction was satisfactory, at which time I will post feedback. In my opinion, feedback reflects the entire transaction, not only the payment obligation of the buyer.

Just my 2 kopecks.
  • Options
    TwoKopeiki, I do believe some sellers leave feedback at the time and for the reasons that you have stated, that is why I will not automatically assume it is for purpose of leaving negative feedback; however, as a seller myself, I view my own feedback for the buyer to be solely in regards to the speed of their payment, and since they make a conscious choice to pay me without the coin in hand, I believe it is my responsibility to leave feedback acknowledging their payment upon receipt. If something goes awry during the transaction after they receive the item, it is my responsibility to try to ensure their satisfaction as best that I can, and refund their payment and shipping costs after receiving a returned item, if that is what it takes. My policy, which I impose upon myself, leaves any and all of my buyers free to leave feedback they believe is appropriate, without concern I might retaliate. To me, that is simply a good business practice.

Also, since I have been burned with retaliatory feedback, after posting much deserved negative or neutral feedback for sellers who would not leave feedback for my speedy payment until I left feedback for them, I tend to view such sellers with suspicion. And unless the seller has a stellar feedback rating, along with many thousands of sales, I no longer bid on such auctions. Feedback I leave for a buyer represents my satisfaction with them performing according to their obligations, i.e. prompt payment in valid currency, no more, no less. Their feedback for me is based upon receipt of a product, which is as it was advertised, and they cannot leave appropriate feedback until they receive it in hand.

Though you are of course free to act in according to your own business sense, I am free as well to be suspicious. Though the only seller, for whom I left negative feedback, makes occasional posts in this forum, I have not and will not post his identity, even though he retaliated by posting negative feedback for my speedy payment. I felt he purposely made it very difficult to note a significant flaw on the reverse and that he did not include an image of the reverse that was viewable through normal or reasonable methods. So I sent an email requesting that I be allowed to return the coin for refund of my bid amount (I did not request refund of shipping or insurance cost). Though the amount was small, just $12.50, and though he also received an accidental double payment through PayPal, and though he didn't call that to my attention at all, and though I had to post a dispute through PayPal regarding the double payment in order to recover it, he still would not reply to any email I sent to him after he refused a refund. I felt his actions deserved negative feedback, which I left, and he responded to that feedback with retaliatory negative feedback on his own.

By the way, the reverse was viewable if I right clicked on the "link" he supplied, copied the text of the link into my web browser, pasted that text into a new browser window, and then pressed enter. Simply clicking on the link would not work. I took the his description of the coin, along with the one ebay image he supplied for viewing, as indication of the condition of the coin, and I did not notice he had "supplied" a second image for my viewing. When I received the copper coin, the reverse had the most horrid carbon spotting I have ever seen. This was the condition of the advertised Red Uncirculated coin. He did not supply an inline image of the reverse, and it is no wonder.

Hence, I do not apologize for being suspect of anyone who waits until a buyer leaves feedback before leaving their own.

Did the buyer respond to an invoice or did he not?
    Did the buyer pay you quickly or did he not?
    Was his check good or was it not?

These are my concerns, and none other, when I leave feedback for a buyer.

Whether or not he is satisfied with what he has received is not a category on which a seller's feedback should be founded. And none of my buyers have ever left me anything but the highest of praise in feedback for me, though one buyer did take my generosity at issuing a refund before he shipped the coin back as an opportunity to steal from me. So now I await receipt of the returned coin before issuing a full refund, which refund will include all costs incurred by the buyer. I state this policy on each an every auction page I list, and I would be thrilled to see other sellers follow suit.

Other than the one who stole from me, no one has ever asked that I refund their money, and that is a record of which I am pleased, and I believe rightfully so. I have no doubt you are an honest seller as well, but I still maintain that many, if not most, of the sellers on ebay, who wait for their buyers to leave feedback before leaving their own, are not worthy of the patronage of honest persons.
  • Options
    He appears to have cancelled all the bids and re-listed with a BIN a little over $700 USD: Link
  • Options
    ... and changed the BIN to $795